PDA

View Full Version : Overlube flex shaft

dehrlich
12-28-2012, 01:06 PM
How is it that I keep over lubing the flex shaft? I took it out, cleaned it good, took the lube I got from LHR and slowly poured it as I went down the shaft, just a little... it "soaked" right in. Then I wiped it down several times and put it back in the machine. I even took care to put less on the end that goes in the truck. After about an hour of carving I got lube starting to gather on top of the truck. What am I missing? I know this can kill the bearings, don't wanna go there again. This is a newer cable assembly, has maybe 20 hours on it.

lawrence
12-28-2012, 01:20 PM
how often are you lubing your shaft? I've got around 250 hours on mine and have lubed it twice.

I also leave mine to hang overnight (I hang it with a small spring clamp on a string) to allow any excess lube to drip off.

Lawrence

henry1
12-28-2012, 01:25 PM
I lube mine the same, and put it in a copper tubing curle like a pig tail that way it like openning the pores of the flex works great

TerryT
12-28-2012, 01:26 PM
I only lube mine once or twice a year. It has performed perfectly for 4 or 5 years now on my old A machine and two years on the B machine. If it is running cool and smooth it doesn't need lube. It it is running hot shortly after lube it probably isn't lube that it needs.

dehrlich
12-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Ok well I guess I didn't let it drip off. And I thought it needed to be lubed more than that. After I went back to work after lunch it quit coming out, so I hope it's ok. I took the hat off the truck and cleaned it off so no lube would get in the bearings. Will leave it alone now. Thanks for the help. I just noticed I have 152 posts in just the couple months I been on here..... didn't realize i had been so chatty LOL

ladjr
12-28-2012, 04:40 PM
I agree with the other comments. I feel the cable for heat and only lube when it is hot, not just warm.

Digitalwoodshop
12-28-2012, 07:14 PM
In your case the excess oil has spun out and migrated to the Z Truck AND the Cut Motor.... I would remove the Flex, Cut Motor. Open the Cut Motor and inspect the "Fling Pot" as I call it... for excess lube and clean... Wipe the flex again, blow some LP AIR through the outer flex to blow out the excess oil AFTER carefully removing the damper SPRING.... Inspect under the Top Hat again and wipe any excess oil.... You should be GOOD.. Re Assemble... I make it a habit of "Petting the Snake", the Flex at every bit change. First sign of heat every 8 months or so... I lube the flex in the middle with a dime size glob of Chain Lube between my fingers.... Good to go for another 8 months...

Fling Pot shown with early Heat Shrink Magnet Holder before the hard plastic version in some pictures.

AL