PDA

View Full Version : The machine will not go down

countrygirl
12-26-2012, 05:19 PM
After hours of cleaning and lubricating the machine I can only get the machine to slightly move on the side with the handle/crank and the other side will not move. Any help?

mathman
12-26-2012, 05:50 PM
It's stuck in the 'up' position ("vertical lockup")? If so, there are instructions on dealing with that in the manual on page 46:

Vertical Lockup: Cranking the head beyond its highest useable height
can result in it locking in a position where the head crank cannot lower it.
Releasing from this locked position it is very easy. The threaded head
screw needs to be manually turned and can be accessed from the inside
of the machine. On this head screw, just above the traction belts, is a
hole into which an Allen wrench or similar tool can be inserted. Using the
Allen wrench as leverage, turn the head screw a clockwise direction to
unlock it.

If you don't have the manual (or like me, can't find it when I need it), the manual is online at:

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Manuals/CarveWright_manual_C_SN.pdf

Digitalwoodshop
12-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Post #10, WELCOME !!!!

Yes, the Operation Manual has the info about priming the right side jacking screw but it is possible that this is deeper....

:shock:UN PLUG MACHINE FIRST... No getting Shocked or Killed allowed....:shock: You should remove the bottom of the machine and inspect the 2 45 degree gears and drive train you can see between the sand paper belts. Sometimes the screw holding the one side comes loose.:oops:

You can measure both sides of the head to the sand paper belt to check level of the whole top head. It could be low on one side jamming the smooth rails.

A further level check when your done is to install a wide board and crank the head down and install a bit. On the keypad select options and sensor data and Z Data. The Z will read 0000. Move the head and touch both ends of the board and look at the numbers. They should be close... To get a idea of depth or how far they are off, put the head on a Credit Card or something like that to give you an idea what a 1/8 of an inch is in 0000 numbers.

Good Luck,

AL

Please find Tips and Tricks on the LHR site if you have not. It gives you lots of data. My number and email is on my website below if you get stuck.

countrygirl
12-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Thank you for your help but it's stuck half way down and we've tried the allen wrench multiple times and it just wont move on the opposite side of the crank. The side with the crank moves freely. Still confused...

countrygirl
12-26-2012, 06:26 PM
I guess I'm not on the forum enough b/c I'm looking for your number and email but again no luck :-) Please bare with me I'm learning the forum

countrygirl
12-26-2012, 06:40 PM
My husband is asking if you can strip the bolt on the opposite side of the crank?

badbert
12-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Pull the bottom cover off... There is a rod that connects the two sides. Download this document and study page 3. http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Maintenence/CW_parts_list_manual.pdf

Digitalwoodshop
12-26-2012, 08:04 PM
I guess I'm not on the forum enough b/c I'm looking for your number and email but again no luck :-) Please bare with me I'm learning the forum

My website is www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com (http://www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com). Number is on the bottom of the page.

AL

bergerud
12-27-2012, 12:06 AM
My friends C machine has striped the nut on the right side after only 30 hours. Also, the nut can come loose and spin with the shaft instead of threading. The head can tilt and jam. If you think that this might be the problem, remove the right cover and have a look. It is easy, two ten mm bolts on the top of the posts and two screws on the bottom.