PDA

View Full Version : New guy!

JuicyCarp
12-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Good morning!

My name is Kevin, after doing a ton of research and looking at what others have done with the CarveWright, I decided to make the investment and just purchased the machine. I can’t say enough how excited I am for it to arrive so I can start playing around and crank a few projects out!

A little about myself; I am an active duty service member currently stationed at Fort Bragg in NC. Unfortunately there are no Start U members in my area so I think I am going to be relying heavily on this forum for the first several projects I am sure. Hopefully after I get my feet wet a bit I can actually contribute. I have a love for computers (I am a Digital Forensic Examiner for CID) and I have always loved working with wood, so the CarveWright just seemed like the perfect combination of the two. I don’t exactly know where I am going to go with this machine at the moment, but I do know that in my head I have this project that I think is absolutely beautiful, and looking around on the web seems very unique, so eventually I hope to get to a point where I can take this project and carve myself a little niche in the woodworking world! Until that time I plan to explore different projects to learn the software, and the capabilities of the machine, and hopefully make a few bucks to fund other tools that I know I am going to need for my BIG project!

I hope everyone enjoys their holiday season, and I look forward to working with everyone on this forum!

Kevin

Bigtyme
12-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Welcome Kevin!

I think you made the right choice in getting a Carvewright and as importantly, becoming a part of this Forum. There are many many great people here who are very skilled in the use of the Carvewright and its software and are always glad to help. I would suggest that you read as many of the tips and tricks reports that are available as well as the tutorials. They are extremely helpful. This forum is also a wonderful place to get questions answered, but you will be surprised how many times your question has been asked and answered before so don't be afraid to search some of the past threads as your answers may be there.

Best of luck to you as you get to know your CW and I look forward to seeing pictures of some of your projects.....

CNC Carver
12-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Welcome and good luck with your first few projects. Make sure you read the tips and tricks before you start. The is a great deal of knowledge here just have to ask. From designing to repairs if needed. Also like to thank you for serving us in your active duty.

dcalvin4
12-26-2012, 10:43 AM
wELCOME i think this forum and members willbe addictive. Ask any questions and read the tips and tricks and if you need a special pattern you can purchase one from the members here The prices are really reasonible Please dont buy patterns from internet as a lot of the sites stole free pats from this free member site http://forum.carvewright.com/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=2046
welcome and enjoy
denny

mikemi
12-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Welcome to the CarveWright world. I am sure you will enjoy it very much after you get the hang of it.

Mike

tierman
12-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Kevin, Welcome to the world of Carvewright! Its a fantastic ride, please ask your questions,share your projects and just enjoy! And from me and I'm sure the rest of us carvers, Thank you for your service!!! & God bless!
Roger

chebytrk
12-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Hey Kevin,
Welcome aboard. I'm sure you're about to get in to some great and amazing stuff. This Forum is fantastic too ... the CW family here is a great bunch of people. Enjoy & Thank You for your service... By the way my grandson reports back to finish his Basic Training in January. Crazy stuff.... who ever heard of taking a break from Basic Training! It's a new way I guess. LOL. Time have changed since my time in the Army.
Happy Carving Amigo!

Good morning!

My name is Kevin, after doing a ton of research and looking at what others have done with the CarveWright, I decided to make the investment and just purchased the machine. I can’t say enough how excited I am for it to arrive so I can start playing around and crank a few projects out!

A little about myself; I am an active duty service member currently stationed at Fort Bragg in NC. Unfortunately there are no Start U members in my area so I think I am going to be relying heavily on this forum for the first several projects I am sure. Hopefully after I get my feet wet a bit I can actually contribute. I have a love for computers (I am a Digital Forensic Examiner for CID) and I have always loved working with wood, so the CarveWright just seemed like the perfect combination of the two. I don’t exactly know where I am going to go with this machine at the moment, but I do know that in my head I have this project that I think is absolutely beautiful, and looking around on the web seems very unique, so eventually I hope to get to a point where I can take this project and carve myself a little niche in the woodworking world! Until that time I plan to explore different projects to learn the software, and the capabilities of the machine, and hopefully make a few bucks to fund other tools that I know I am going to need for my BIG project!

I hope everyone enjoys their holiday season, and I look forward to working with everyone on this forum!

Kevin

TerryT
12-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi Kevin,
I'm amazed at how quickly the computer and digital phone forensics field is growing. The company I worked for always farmed it out due to a lack of certified techs, but is now starting to do it in house. You're going to love the carvewright. If you need any help just holler.

henry1
12-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Hey Kevin, glad your here this is a great forum for help and great bunch of people here to help

fwharris
12-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Kevin,

Welcome!! Time now to read up and watch as many tutorials as you can digest while waiting for your machine to arrive. Also ask away!!!

badbert
12-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Welcome Kevin! You have already made a great step in the right direction, just by finding this forum. Read, read, read. And when you are tired of reading, watch videos! :) One of the most important links any of us can give you is this one. http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-askbud%20downloads.htm AskBud is very knowledgeable and has taken time to create a ton of wonderful videos. When ever I get stuck, this is the first place I go!

rcdages
12-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Kevin,

Welcome to the CW / LHR family.

Digitalwoodshop
12-26-2012, 02:17 PM
WOW... WELCOME to the CarveWright Family.... Being Active Duty you are in the middle of a really GREAT Market.... You will do well and more than likely make enough money to support your machine and grow a business.... I wish I was still living in San Diego for the Navy Market... But I am happy with my shop sitting in the middle of a Christmas Patch on our Tree Farm and with the Snow just starting an hour ago... A Great View....

First things first....

Plan on getting a Dust Hood as soon as you can, I use the Ringneck Blues all metal version. You need to be aware that Static Electricity can KILL your machine.... The All Metal helps with the Grounding. On that point of Static, a common Shop Vac is the biggest KILLER of machines.... as you suck up the chips with the plastic hose, a Static Voltage is produced. MANY posts over the years... "I am in the middle of a 6 hour carve and I opened the cover and Vacuumed out the Sawdust and now my machine is DEAD"....

There are a bunch of posts worth reading on the dust collection thread. Some Light Hearted Debate as to which Dust Collector Hood is the best.... Do your homework and make your choice.

Rather than use a Shop Vac, plan ahead and when you can, Get a Dust Collector. Watch out for the Cloth Bags as they let the MOST HARMFUL very fine sawdust escape and it will settle into the deepest recesses of your lungs.... Remember Family too.... So plan for a Dust Collector that has the High Efficiency Canister PAPER Filter for the very best collection of the finest dust....

If you have not, find and read all the Tips and Tricks on the LHR site. Written by US, it will help you through the common Pilot errors.

Best of Luck !!!!

AL

FCC(SW) US Navy Retired

ladjr
12-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Welcome to the world of Carvewright. I sure you enjoy your machine. Be patent and ask lots of questions. Good Carving.

RogerB
12-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Welcome Kevin your in the right place.Great people lots of help and just like a second Family.The Welcome mat is always out.Don't know what i would have done with out the helping hand and sharing that is on this for.Would like to say thank you to everyone here.

JuicyCarp
12-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I have been spending a lot of time on these forums, and I have learned a lot already, but I cant wait till my machine gets here! (hopefully on Saturday!) I appreciate all the advice already, and to those who thanked me for my service, its always been my pleasure!

Kevin

lawrence
12-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Kevin- welcome! It sounds like you are in a similar place to where I was with my Carvewright about 3 years ago. I'm thrilled to say that its been a great experience so far!

Be ready to make lots of retirement/PCS gifts...

Lawrence