PDA

View Full Version : My first drawing.

sjmoore69
12-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Here is my first attempt at creating an original piece from scratch.The only thing I ended up drawing is the cross.I see what everyone was talking about with the learning curve.I had first designed ot on an 8" board, then couldn't find one in my pile. SOOO... after finding an acceptable 7.5" board,I had to completely reformat the pieces to fit.If anyone knows a way to resize the entire collection of parts at once, please let me know.Grouping didn't seem to work.Anyway...The pic is from my draft on cedar "fresh out the box" so to speak but the .mpc's have already been altered to included the hands on the right which were set to carve to low and didn't show up through the overlap on jesus.
cross 2.mpc is for the 8" board, cross 6.mpc is the 7.5" board and cross 5.mpc is the cross alone. I switched to outline for the text until I can get centerline text. The large space in "F aith" only seemed to happen with that particular font.
I'm hoping to have more time to play with it after New Year's. Have a SAFE and happy Holidays everyone!!!
Steve

P.S. I got an oversized file error on the mpc uploads. Is that 1.43mb limit for one file or total attatchments?

ladjr
12-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Very nice cross, great job

SharonB
12-24-2012, 01:39 AM
I like the whole concept of your design and your cross came out pretty darn good for a first try. Will be looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

DickB
12-24-2012, 08:02 AM
If anyone knows a way to resize the entire collection of parts at once, please let me know.Grouping didn't seem to work.
Steve, you have to remove all constraints to re-size. I clicked on one of your rectangles - the last one in the list - and one side has a yellow dimension of 0.77. That means that you have constrained or locked that dimension. Not sure if you intended to do so. If you group that rectangle with other stuff, it will prevent re-sizing the group. Right-click the dimension and click Remove Length Constraint.

sjmoore69
12-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks a lot.That helps considerably.Sometimes I inadertantly select the dimension lines when trying to pick a part. I noticed that they turned yellow after hitting enter. I drew a new cross and compiled the mpc for several size boards. I was able to group and resize all at once on that attempt. I think there were 2 rectangles which had constraints so no big deal.I can't wait to get centerline and vectors. This new cross I drew was a replica of a cross I hand carved for my mom in the '80s.
Thanks again fofr your advice.

DickB
12-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Great! A few other things to keep in mind when re-sizing for different boards is that if elements are centered on one or both axis that can cause problems. I will often click center to get an element aligned, then turn centering back off (the element doesn't move) so the element won't misbehave when re-sizing. Also mirrored items, rather than duplicating and flipping manually, can cause problems too.

sjmoore69
12-25-2012, 04:46 PM
I got rained out from running my sawmill so I had time to play around a little more. I drew a tree and some flames with a ying/yang and became very frustrated with the time-consuming,tedious process.I eventually hid the flames and photo-shopped them as well as the moon, stars and rocks. I didn't fix the overlap of the moon and stars until after I carved it and the stars need brought out some more. You'll have to turn off the labels to even see the tree.
Merry christmas every one.
Steve