PDA

View Full Version : Thickness planer problem

dehrlich
12-22-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on this... my old thickness planer, a Ryobi 1300, has developed a habit of building material up under one of the blades, which raises it up from the spindle in places and makes uneven surfaces. The hold down bar is tight and all... I have tried filing it, flattening it etc and still get the problem. Anyone have an idea of what to use to fix this?

SteveNelson46
12-22-2012, 07:12 PM
You probably have dull blades. Try cleaning them and the adjacent surfaces with CMT Orange 2050 Blade and Bit Cleaner (Woodcraft). Also make sure the flat bed is clean and lubed with a good surface lube. I use Bostik Surface Lubricant from Woodcraft. If the wood hangs up even just a little it might make the rollers slip. If this doesn't work, replace the blades.

Digitalwoodshop
12-22-2012, 08:50 PM
My neighbor has the company "Dispose a Blade" in the US. Worth looking into when it is time to sharpen.

Good Luck,

AL

dehrlich
12-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Actually the blades are sharp, I change them often... like sharp blade, hate to sand. It will happen even with blades just changed. Takes several uses, but it will still build up under there. I'm figuring the bars that hold the blades down are the problem, but I hesitate to spend money on a planer that's about at the end of it's life. The bearings are going out... I need a bigger planer anyway. I have put thousands of feet through a "hobby" style planer. Even had a 220 outlet put in my shop when I upgraded the electric. If my CW would quit costing me money for repairs.... ;)

ktjwilliams
12-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Sounds like you need to work on the head and or side mountings ... After 25 yrs of use and ABUSE,,, and thousands and thousands of feet of lumber, I just did some work on my big old Delta...