PDA

View Full Version : Burning with 90º bit

jemmettjr
12-22-2012, 10:40 AM
I am having issues with letters burning when using my 90º bit. It this an issue with the sharpness of the bit or the speed of the machine? The bit has only been used about half dozen times and it seems to burn a little on each letter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John

AskBud
12-22-2012, 12:01 PM
I am having issues with letters burning when using my 90º bit. It this an issue with the sharpness of the bit or the speed of the machine? The bit has only been used about half dozen times and it seems to burn a little on each letter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

JohnIt could be your font selection or the application of the BOLD option. We need to see your MPC in order to know for sure.
AskBud

Capt Bruce
12-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Also depends on the wood you are carving. Cherry and wet poplar will burn more then most when the letter body rums across the grain. Not so much with the v-cut running with the grain.

SteveNelson46
12-22-2012, 06:57 PM
You could have a dirty bit. To clean my bits I use CMT Orange 2050 blade and bit cleaner (Woodcraft). I put it in one of those old 35 mm film cases and let it soak overnight. The tar and build up just wipe off. Be careful not to get the black residue on your fingers. For some reason it is very difficult to get it off of skin. Even using some of the same solvent.

I also touch up the edge with a flat diamond stone from time to time.

Digitalwoodshop
12-22-2012, 08:54 PM
John,

Fifth Post, WELCOME !!!!

Is this a new machine or a old "A" unit with a worn out QC... All burning problems I had over the years was related to using a Worn Out QC WAY TOO LONG....

Let us know.

Also clean the bit.... Like posted above.

AL

jaroot
12-23-2012, 12:13 AM
I've had problems with the 90 degree vee bit burning on heavy deep letters. And as has been previously said popular is especially bad. I've actually had popular catch on fire. I've cleaned the bit and made sure it was sharp. It just seems to happen with some font/wood combinations.