PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Shipping Charges!

liebhaber
12-20-2012, 08:43 AM
I just bought one bit. One bit. I paid $12 for shipping thinking that it might ship out UPS.

NO! LHR decided to ship my 1 bit USPS First Class Mail!

I do a lot of shipping and I know this cost the company maybe $3-5 at most. $5 if they put it in a big box. Now my bit probably won't get here before the holidays, so I can't make those Christmas presents I was making, and I am livid.

If you aren't going to ship via a premium service, drop the pretense and don't charge a premium price. You have lost my respect.

Love the machine, NOT the company.

lawrence
12-20-2012, 09:35 AM
what bit (and with qc adapter or carvetight) are you looking to get, maybe someone here can help you out

Lawrence

-I've got no comment on the shipping cost thing... I've certainly said my piece about that too, but I will say that LHR seems a stand up company and hopefully they will eventually fix the shipping process.

lynnfrwd
12-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Don't know if you've seen this from UPS or not...hopefully it will make it.

Due to holiday volume, UPS Ground delivery guarantees are suspended until December 26, 2012. All other guaranteed UPS Services will be delivered within 90 minutes of the normal commit time.

liebhaber
12-20-2012, 09:54 AM
I broke my 1/8" QC cutting bit over the weekend. I wouldn't be so upset over the whole issue except that I was just going to do the whole carvetight upgrade and get new bits all at once. Well, due to supply issues, LHR has no hard pressed adaptors which means no carvetight bits. My original order went on backorder and I wasn't even notified until I logged in to see what was happening. I was told the bits would be ready by the end of the day (Monday) and ship on Monday. Come Tuesday still on backorder, call, and the adapters they got in stock were no good so they couldn't ship any bits, they had no idea when they might have working adapters. I cancelled my order and just resigned to getting a new QC 1/8" bit to finish my Christmas presents and a few last minute orders. I was upset already that they couldn't keep something like bits in stock. Nowthe shipping issue is just another little dig for the week.

Maybe it's a bad week for them.

liebhaber
12-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Don't know if you've seen this from UPS or not...hopefully it will make it.

Due to holiday volume, UPS Ground delivery guarantees are suspended until December 26, 2012. All other guaranteed UPS Services will be delivered within 90 minutes of the normal commit time.

Perhaps you should adjust your shipping rates accordingly then?

Any shopping cart software can calculate real-time shipping, and I know software which you run is definitely capable. One size fits all seems a little ridiculous, and I can't help but feel ripped off here.

The hard pressed adaptor issue really got me going this week. I was looking forward to the new system and now can't upgrade and just spent $50 for a stop gap solution.

lynnfrwd
12-20-2012, 10:11 AM
I know.

The charge is a Shipping & Handling fee; not just shipping. The same # of people are employed to touch that order and ship that item, no matter which method it goes. For some, we are sending USPS in hopes that they might get a Saturday delivery.

We are all good on bits and adapters again and have been trying very hard to accommodate customers that are trying to finish last minute customer and family Christmas projects.

jaustin
12-20-2012, 10:33 AM
any idea on how long of a wait it will be on back order bits?

lawrence
12-20-2012, 11:00 AM
so just to be clear- you need a 1/8 cutting bit with a QC adapter?

Lawrence

liebhaber
12-20-2012, 11:12 AM
so just to be clear- you need a 1/8 cutting bit with a QC adapter?

Lawrence

Correct.

I've been working with Connie on a solution, but I can't do any of my cut outs until I get a new 1/8 bit of some sort. I think she'll be able to get me up and running carvetight soon enough!

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2012, 11:35 AM
A work around to get your Xmas Projects done.... Make the Cut path in Designer then Outline it.... Delete the Cut Path and select the outline then the 1/16th carving bit and then the depth tools since this is a VECTOR Cut and pick a depth of the cut. The Goal here is to outline the vector so something like .1 deep would do..... THEN you use a saw to cut it out.... You get your XMAS GIFTS done and spend some time doing "Sawdust Therapy" to lower your Holiday stress level..... Even a CHEAP Coping Saw would do the trick.... OR if you have a Power Saw suitable for the job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gjt5oUIvyc

Good Luck,

AL

lynnfrwd
12-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Many of the back-orders went out yesterday and we have two guys back there ALL DAY today working on getting orders out. They are being filled by longest waiting first. (On a normal day, orders can be packaged by one person in just a couple of hours each day...then QA'd by another.)

We had gotten adapters earlier this week, but they were not manufactured correctly and they didn't pass the tests, so we had to get them remade. We have good ones now and they are being shipped.

liebhaber
12-20-2012, 11:44 AM
A work around to get your Xmas Projects done.... Make the Cut path in Designer then Outline it.... Delete the Cut Path and select the outline then the 1/16th carving bit and then the depth tools since this is a VECTOR Cut and pick a depth of the cut. The Goal here is to outline the vector so something like .1 deep would do..... THEN you use a saw to cut it out.... You get your XMAS GIFTS done and spend some time doing "Sawdust Therapy" to lower your Holiday stress level..... Even a CHEAP Coping Saw would do the trick.... OR if you have a Power Saw suitable for the job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gjt5oUIvyc

Good Luck,

AL

Thanks Al!

I actually did that with a few of them already. The band saw has been getting a workout lately since I've had to cut everything out on my own.

Talked to Connie, she got my CarveTight order on the way so I'm back to a happy camper. Stress of a new job and a broken bit at the wrong time!

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2012, 12:22 PM
That's good news..... I know about Stress... Almost all my Production of Fire Tags this year are Warping when they get cold... I switched to a thicker Epoxy Dome in February and just found out when Sandy took out the Heat.... I must do a whole years production over again for FREE with the old GOOD Stuff.....
Ho Ho Ho.... or is it OH OH OH..... :p
AL

dehrlich
12-20-2012, 09:13 PM
I too am disappointed. Told my order was due to ship today, but it still shows as a pick ticket. So much for finishing my kids gifts on time, Guess they will have to understand. When I used to work in sales and I told someone something would ship, it did... even if I had to go pull and package myself. I'm not trying to flame LHR, but they know they have the corner on the CW market... what else can we do? Sorry, just frustrated. First the machine keeps breaking and now I can't get parts. GRRRR!

easybuilt
12-20-2012, 11:03 PM
To help my stress. Everytime I order a part I purchase a second one, If I needed it once I will again. I then try to purchase a number of parts at once so the shipping does not kill me and I spread the expenses over a several months. You have to remember they buy ALL the parts overseas and I would guess they have little control of when it is received. When you need bits buy them from Lowes, no shipping charges but remember Lowes buys them directly from LHR and they don't keep any stock in the stores.

lynnfrwd
12-20-2012, 11:19 PM
It may still show pick ticket but that doesn't mean it didn't ship today. Tracking updates will be done tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dehrlich
12-21-2012, 07:52 AM
You are right, it was shipped, my appologies. Of course normally it would be here in a day, but the tracking shows not til monday. Not much help to get things done in time, but not LHR's fault. I retract my previous statements, thank you for your efforts. I think you need another warehouse, maybe one located in Kansas? Happen to know someone who has the perfect empty building close by :)

dunracin
12-29-2012, 09:32 PM
I broke my 1/8" QC cutting bit over the weekend. I wouldn't be so upset over the whole issue except that I was just going to do the whole carvetight upgrade and get new bits all at once. Well, due to supply issues, LHR has no hard pressed adaptors which means no carvetight bits. My original order went on backorder and I wasn't even notified until I logged in to see what was happening. I was told the bits would be ready by the end of the day (Monday) and ship on Monday. Come Tuesday still on backorder, call, and the adapters they got in stock were no good so they couldn't ship any bits, they had no idea when they might have working adapters. I cancelled my order and just resigned to getting a new QC 1/8" bit to finish my Christmas presents and a few last minute orders. I was upset already that they couldn't keep something like bits in stock. Nowthe shipping issue is just another little dig for the week.

Maybe it's a bad week for them.

I had same problem and paid for additional quick shipping. Connie called to say that they were backordered along with brushes I ordered a week later & did I want to cancel or combine orders to save shipping. I said hold until all are ready and ship together & credit me for extra shipping cost. She said OK & turned around & sent the bits anyway. I was never credited for the expedited shipping either. I think LHR is in trouble. Their so-called customer service plain sucks and common parts inventory STINKS. I'm done with them.

easybuilt
12-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Happy New year, Lot of grumpy people out there.
LRH has some problems like a lot of companies out there. Get the new carvetight and buy a router collet 1/4" inside and 1/2" outside and buy a bit fom the guys on ebay. They ship quick and keep a couple as a back up. Buy a bit thru Lowes, which s cheaper and when LHR gets it back in stock it will ship to your store. Less stress and your project is complete.

Carl H
12-31-2012, 01:40 AM
I live in Canada and I placed my order on the Thanksgiving holiday. I had it shipped to Sumas Washington. The turn around time was exemplary.
I have to say that shipping costs were extremely good. less than $80 for a package that was over 80 pounds.
I actually paid more to get it into Canada in the form of sales tax than I did for shipping.

If you would like to see high shipping costs, move to Canada. When I ship small packages it is cheaper for me to drive to USA and ship from there. At least 50% savings.

I am very happy with the service I have had from LHR.

cestout
12-31-2012, 06:22 PM
I have done some shipping and hope to do more when I get my web site up in a few days, and I don't really think LHR shipping is out of line. I would rather not may it because I am cheap, but I feel it is fair. Just learn hoe to work it - buy a bunch of stuff.
Clint

gregsolano
03-30-2013, 02:45 PM
Home Depot now carrying carvewright products on their website, free shipping for orders over $45. Just thought I would pass this on.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=carvewright&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All

lynnfrwd
03-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Well, I'll be... Didn't know it was official or online already.

bergerud
03-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Home Depot is in Canada also. Are the Canadian stores going to get involved? From what I have seen, it seems only to be online shopping for the US.

(I noted some errors in their descriptions: The Carvewright machine is 6 in. ? The 1/8 cutting bit is pictured as the 1/16 carving bit.)

lynnfrwd
03-30-2013, 06:31 PM
I have no idea. Doubt it.

badbert
03-30-2013, 07:08 PM
The review I am gonna write tonight.... You should pay me for it! LOL

Ton80
03-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Home Depot now carrying carvewright products on their website, free shipping for orders over $45. Just thought I would pass this on.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=carvewright&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All

GOOD GOD.. clicked on the line and see that a flash card is $54 !! If I'm not mistaken, the card is a completely antiquated version of flash ram that might cost around $5 and that's probably on the high side.

Nice to see HD is carrying stuff although I'm sure it will all be special order "online only" items

chebytrk
03-31-2013, 10:34 AM
HD is a rip off. Lowes has much better pricing.

easybuilt
03-31-2013, 01:47 PM
I agree that Lowes is the way to go! You can get the Carvetight carving bit and 1/8" cutting. http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogDisplay?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=cavewright#!

lawrence
03-31-2013, 01:59 PM
It is nice to see another store getting involved with Carvewright- well done LHR! Pricing/shipping will vary from place to place but I for one am happy to see another outlet for the machine to get publicity.

Congrats on what I hope will be a successful venture- I get 10% (military) discounts at both Lowes and HD so this is especially helpful.

Lawrence