PDA

View Full Version : A lemon? Or are they really this fragile?

dehrlich
12-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Well, here I go again. After thinking I got a good deal on an A series machine with only 24 hours on it ($600) I don't think so anymore. In 5 weeks I have had the machine, I have replaced the bad chuck, then a strange noise lead to replacing the cut motor (suggested by tech support, not it), a flex cable because of a tear in the outer cover, then the Z truck which finally fixed the noise. Now just 10 days later and half way through Christmas orders, I have to replace the Z motor because of a broken wire on the sensor board. I could have gotten a new C series for what I have spent!

Are the A series machines really this fragile, or did I get a lemon?

Now I have to pray for two things... first that I get the new part on Friday and can install it quickly so I can get back to work. Then that when I re-start the carve I was on, a 6 hour carve that I was 50% through on a nice piece of 12" wide mahogany, that it will line up correctly and finish the project. This machine is capable of amazing things, but I wonder where do I give up and just get a different machine?

lynnfrwd
12-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Not much help, but I've heard of some people paying about $1800 for a used A machine. $600 isn't too bad, but most here would probably only pay about $300 to $400 for an A series that needs upgrades. You have almost paid for a new machine. I do wish you could have gotten a CarveTight instead of another QC....hopefully next time won't be too soon. Just make sure you put those bits in correctly each time and watch for "bb marks" on your adapters.

fwharris
12-19-2012, 07:10 PM
I think your $600 for the used machine was not to bad a price. Sure you might have gotten one for less but I know several who paid way more than you for a used A with more hours and more problems. Also know of a few who picked up used ones for way less cause the owners had a problem and gave up. The new owners found that the machine was not maintained properly or was just a dirty switch.

Not all or most but some A machines did have some problems. Most issues IMO were a direct cause for the extra vibration from the QC. The vibration played havoic with the electronic components. The others issues, again IMO, were do to operator errors in improper care and maintenance, not understanding how to correctly set up projects and a failure to be signed up here on the forum. Most relied on Sear's, where they bought the machine, and early on Sear's had no clue. You will see all of these posting the negative feedback on the Sear's site.

Now that you have been introduced to the CarveWright and seen what it's capabilities are you might consider upgrading to the new C machine. :D

ladjr
12-19-2012, 07:49 PM
I have 2 "A" machines and 1 "C" The "A" have been fully upgraded, but I notice no difference in the machines reliability.

dehrlich
12-19-2012, 07:58 PM
HAHA Well that was my plan, to upgrade, but if this one keeps costing me money instead of making it, I will never get there. Money to buy a Rock went to the Z motor upgrade package. But I promise this, as soon as I get my money on the 1st, I'm getting a Rock no matter what. If it reduces noise, gives better quality and will help with the problems as you say, then it's money well spent. Now I see why those of you who do this for a living have several machines... Backup!

I do believe on the big carve I was working on with the mahogany I'm just going to plane it down to 1/2" and start completely over. Not what I prefer, but I'm not wasting mahogany... too expensive even at the wholesale price I get it. Just hope it doesn't cup on me.

And, like i've said before, the plus side is I'm learning alot about finding problems and fixing them I suppose... will help in the long run. "Yesterday I couldn't spell Carvewright Mechanic, TODAY I IS ONE!"

eelamb
12-19-2012, 08:02 PM
I have an A machine, bought it used in 09 for about 1400. To this day it has worked flawlessly. Did change to the rock chuck, but that was the extent of the changes or repairs to date. Just finished 2, 3+ hour carves. Now I will clean it real good, so it will be ready for the next carve.

ladjr
12-19-2012, 08:30 PM
HAHA Well that was my plan, to upgrade, but if this one keeps costing me money instead of making it, I will never get there. Money to buy a Rock went to the Z motor upgrade package. But I promise this, as soon as I get my money on the 1st, I'm getting a Rock no matter what. If it reduces noise, gives better quality and will help with the problems as you say, then it's money well spent. Now I see why those of you who do this for a living have several machines... Backup!

I do believe on the big carve I was working on with the mahogany I'm just going to plane it down to 1/2" and start completely over. Not what I prefer, but I'm not wasting mahogany... too expensive even at the wholesale price I get it. Just hope it doesn't cup on me.

And, like i've said before, the plus side is I'm learning alot about finding problems and fixing them I suppose... will help in the long run. "Yesterday I couldn't spell Carvewright Mechanic, TODAY I IS ONE!"

Well it seems like you have the right frame of mind. I got the second machine so when 1 breaks I can switch parts and make sure what is broke before I order. I used to order parts I didn't need.

On the wood, I have start the same project over, if you centered on board and it has carve the hold project again. You might try before you plan it down. Other wise you could set your Carvewright lower and let it plan the project at the same time it carves pattern.

Good Luck

dehrlich
12-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Ok so it sounds like A machines are ok, mine must just suck! And I want to just restart the project and hope it lines up ok, it's just that's 3 hours to find out if it's right or not. I don't know... got a couple days to think about it. Y'all are welcome to contribute to the "Buy Darren a C machine" fund.. my PayPal account is darren_ehrlich@yahoo.com HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ladjr
12-19-2012, 09:08 PM
You don't have to wait 3 hours you will see very quickly if it lines up and if not you can stop it

Leo
Life is to short carve something today

badbert
12-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Transporting and weather are detrimental to this machine. That A sat for years unused, rusting. It has prob been shuffled from place to place, and handled roughly. To put it into perspective... you replaced a cut motor that didn't need to be. Your flexshaft melted because it wasn't cleaned and lubed, you could have repaired the sheathing with some shrink tube. The noise in the Z truck was probably a bad bearing. The point here is that these problems are just caused by your learning curve, not the machine. You already know the QC is a bad idea. That is the only true fault of the machine. Chalk the rest up to experience!

badbert
12-19-2012, 09:26 PM
And as far as the rcarve. Try lowering the depth and height of the pattern a couple of thousands and start over. This works 90% of the time for me.

dehrlich
12-20-2012, 04:45 AM
Bert, very true about no use for years, I do figure this is a lot of the problem. Now you tell me about the flex shaft after I threw the sheathing away! Least I kept the core and spring for a spare. Learning curve, also true. But it doesn't matter 'cause the world is ending tomorrow right? Those who believe that raise thier hand. I laugh at those who are all worried about it... what can you do about it anyway if it does happen? Nothing, so why worry.

About the recarve, thought about that already, even made the change to the pattern already... glad to see I came up with the right solution... I am learning :)

rickroy
12-20-2012, 04:45 AM
I bought an A machine in January of this year and had a very similar experience ... could have, should have bought a new machine for the money put into flex shaft, gears, motors, rubber belt upgrade, CarveTight, etc. In October, I bought a new machine and immediatly sent the A model in for rehabilitation. The new machine was okay ... just okay. I've suffered through broken bit after broken bit, the flexshaft melted after 4 weeks of use ... meanwhile, J Walker at Carvewright sent back my A machine and it has been running without a problem for the last two months. The C machine sits unused on the shelf. So, I encourage owners of older machines to send them to LHR for an update. I think that youy will like the results ... and thanks to J for his good work.

liquidguitars
12-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Most of my units are updated a machines, the key is to remove the QC and place it were your cat likes to dig in the dirt then replace it with a new Rock or CT...

easybuilt
12-20-2012, 11:16 PM
LOL!! Nice answer Brandon!