PDA

View Full Version : Machine Limits

dehrlich
12-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Wondering about a couple things. Is there a limit or reccomended maximum time the machine can run "without a coffee break"? Also, how long can you leave it paused? If you stop in the middle of a project, will it just sit there until you come back, or will it time out?

fwharris
12-18-2012, 07:50 PM
With dust collection and frequent monitoring during the carve it will probably carve for as long as the file size will fit on the card. Paused, as long as you do not loose power it will sit there until you restart it.

chief2007
12-18-2012, 07:51 PM
I have done 10 plus hour carves with out a problem - but have a dust collection system so no stopping for clean up. You can pause the machine as long as you wish - but do not lose power or hit the stop button twice - you will lose the project and have to restart it.

What I do is stop the machine pressing the stop button only once, then open the cover. Go do whatever it is I need to do, come back - close the cover and press the start button and back to carving where I left off.

I read somewhere someone stop a project for a few days waiting for a part, then started where he left off - how true that is I don't know. I have changed out a cut motor during a carve and did not lose the project.

dehrlich
12-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Ok here's another one... what quality do you normally use? Is using the optimal setting worth the xtra time it takes?

mcQ
12-18-2012, 08:16 PM
It would be safer to just open the cover, the machine will stop and pause until you close the cover and then prompt you to hit the start key to restart. This is one reason the switches in the cover should not be disabled.

ladjr
12-18-2012, 08:39 PM
I have power outs sometimes, do you have them in your area

mcQ
12-18-2012, 08:47 PM
I asked Chris when I was at the conference and he suggested using a large UPS like you may use on your computer. This will keep it from shutting down for quite a while if you lift the cover to stop the machine right away.

ladjr
12-18-2012, 09:10 PM
I have power outs sometimes, do you have them in your area

Great idea.

chief2007
12-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Ok here's another one... what quality do you normally use? Is using the optimal setting worth the xtra time it takes?

Depends on the detail of the carve. I use best or optimal on 95 of my carvings.

If you don't have a lot of detail best is a very good option. Saves some carving time with out having to do a lot of clean up to the carving.

fwharris
12-18-2012, 09:16 PM
It would be safer to just open the cover, the machine will stop and pause until you close the cover and then prompt you to hit the start key to restart. This is one reason the switches in the cover should not be disabled.

Yes the cover will stop the process but the correct procedure is to press the stop button one time to pause the carving. by doing it this way the computer gets the signal to stop and it will shut down the cutting motor and the XYZ drives. Just lifting the cover puts the machine into emergency shut down.

Digitalwoodshop
12-18-2012, 09:22 PM
I use open the cover all the time to stop the machine.... IT is when that left side switch STICKS and stays engaged as you open the cover and the right side Cut Motor Safety Switch stops the motor.... And the machine with the stuck switch keeps on moving and now with a stopped cut motor stalls the project.... Never had it happen.... but it could.... My thinking is that it is easier to ACCIDENTALLY hit the Stop Button TWICE and END the project by ACCIDENT.... Then the Left Cover Switch to STICK.... SO I continue to lift the cover....

AL

bergerud
12-19-2012, 12:34 AM
I maintain that one should use the stop button to pause the machine. The cover switch system is not designed to interrupt the motor current while the motor is running. (The switch does not have a parallel filter circuit to deal with voltage transients caused when interrupting currents.) If you have ever noticed the cut motor jerk sometimes when you close the cover, you have evidence that the switch even causes transients with the small background current in the triac motor control circuit. The unpredictable high voltage transients that result from interrupting the cut motor current can easily damage other electronic components (including the switch itself).

The cover switch, in my mind, is designed only as safety device to ensure the cut motor cannot turn on when the cover is open.