PDA

View Full Version : Topographical slicing

Greybeard
02-02-2007, 03:02 PM
General method for slicing an original into four layers for carving separately.

In my development of the method I used a 24 bit tiff file, with the background black and the highest points white. I kept the original file and worked on a duplicate in case of any problems !
As a last step the files can be converted for importing into Designer.

Imagine you have your project, say 4" deep, and choose to slice it into 4x 1" layers.

With the file opened in your photoediting software, choose a selection tool that will select all pixels with the same or similar color next to the one that you click on (it's "magic wand" in Corel Photo-Paint).

(1)
With the tool setting at 75%, click on any white area, and the tool should select all the pixels that make up the lightest 75%.
If you have several high spots you may have to use the additive (+)setting of the tool and to click on other white areas.
On the Edit menu choose "Cut".
Change the setting on the tool to 5%, select the white space(s), then invert the mask.
Now go to the Image menu, choose Adjust, then click on Autoequalize. Save as "layer 1".

(2)
Use Edit/ "Paste as new document" to create the second file from the image on the clipboard.
This one will have a transparent background when you open it, but don't worry !
With the magic wand tool setting at 50%, again click on the white area(s), and Edit/Cut.
Go to Image/Adjust and click on Auto Equalise.
Go to Object/Combine/All objects with background.
Change the selection tool to 5%, and click on the outer background area(s), and fill Black.
Save as "layer 2".

(3)
Use Edit/ "Paste as new document" to create the third file, and repeat the process from (2) as above, but with the initial magic wand tool setting at 25%.
Save as "layer 3".

(4)
Use Edit/ "Paste as new document" to create the fourth file, but for the final layer just use Auto Equalise, Object/combine, and then fill the background black and save as "layer 4".

Any of the new files can now be edited for layout before importing them into Designer for carving.
If you needed five layers, then use the magic wand tool in 20% steps and so on.

Greybeard
02-02-2007, 03:07 PM
As most of you know, I don't have any expectation of aquiring a machine for some time, so if someone is prepared to test it for me in "yer actual wood", I'd be most grateful.
Please mail me if there is any bug in it. :D

Regards
John

BoardSilly
02-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Greybeard,

That is an excellent write up and walk through for 3D slicing!
You made it simple enough for almost anyone to follow.
I use a "1 click" method to do the actual slice, but I won't even go into that here as its not for the home user due to the software used to accomplish the upfront work with the image prior to slicing. My "1 click" slice requires that the image be in RLF format.