PDA

View Full Version : cut width of board

aokweld101
12-17-2012, 10:03 PM
On a 7.25 wide board what is the maximum cut path that u can use safely? and that is with the cut line to the outside of the demention, I'm not sure but for myself Ive been making them at 1" under .5 on each side.

fwharris
12-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Some cases you can get away with 1/2" of board on a side for cut outs. I like to stay around 3/4 to 1" to be safe and insure the compression rollers have enough board to ride on and keep pressure to hold the board true.

badbert
12-18-2012, 12:25 AM
You can always add removable rails. Or use a sled!

mcQ
12-18-2012, 08:38 PM
I like to use a sled for narrower parts which has several advantages:
1) When carving expensive materials you can precut the blank very close to final size and you don't need to waste 7" of material length to keep under the rollers.
2) Using a sled will allow carving or cutting parts out of thin stock.
3) When doing through cuts the sled will keep dust from falling between the rollers allowing the Dust Devil to do a almost total dust pickup.
4) using a wide sled will more evenly distribute the load on the traction belts making them less likely to shift and rollup on the edge.

Digitalwoodshop
12-18-2012, 09:30 PM
I use Cut Path right up to the edge of the board width all the time with NO problem.... The machine knows where the Brass Roller IS and on the wooden handles I cut, normally the round top of the handle is close to the brass roller edge. IT as in the machine lifts the bit up slightly AUTOMATICALLY ONLY at the Brass Roller leaving a bigger TAB in my case that I just cut with a knife or blade.

Picture 1 and 2 shows it best... The left side is the top of the handles and the right side shows BOTTOM of the Board and the masking tape on the Brass Roller Track AND the UN CUT AREA.... Do it all the time...

I engrave the Fire Dept name on the back side. Then flip the board and it does the carve regions for the clock and refills. Then V60 Text then the final and last thing, the cut path....

Picture 1 shows the Masking Tape on the front where the name is cut. That is from when the back side of the board was done, the tape for the brass roller. This wood is Long Leaf Clear Pine from New Zealand and is hard like Maple so the Brass Roller can slip... Hence 100% use of tape...

Picture 2, A Failed Cut on the bottom left of board when the Y Gear Box Failed and the First Cut was good and the second offset in the Y Direction. I shut down and replaced the two bearings in the Y Gearbox. Deleted the handle on the Rework mpc as the back had a name already. Just cut 2 good handles. First cut of the day after doing the V60 text on the back of 3 OK.

AL