PDA

View Full Version : Carving in Walnut

badbert
12-17-2012, 01:09 AM
guido5286 posted in a different post:

I'm still curious about different types of wood people have carved in though besides pine, poplar, and oak. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I told him that I like to carve in Walnut and Maple. Since I just pulled a walnut Steamer Trunk (Ed's Pattern) out of the carver I thought I would show why I like to carve it. 578045780557806 These are untouched no sanding. They are still attached and have not been cutout yet. Even though they have not been sanded, they are "SHINY". There is no "fuzz" anywhere.

eelamb
12-17-2012, 06:35 AM
Bert that will finish up great, thanks for showing. I too have used walnut, alter all I have a truck load of it, but wife does not like dark woods.

Bigtyme
12-17-2012, 07:04 AM
Nice project, Bert. I like walnut as well. I also have carved a few in elm and hickory. The wild grain in hickory can make for some really cool project looks..... I have also carved quite a few in ash, but it does have a lot of clean up even with the highest settings...

dehrlich
12-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Walnut is my fav wood to work with, I never pass up a chance to buy walnut when someone offers a good deal, and have "helped" several people take walnut tree off thier property. Nothing is more beautiful as long as they don't steam it, and couple it with some curly or quilted maple; wow! What quality did you have that on Bert?

fwharris
12-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Bert,

Sure looks GOOOOD! I have carved just a little bit of walnut and do love the carve quality from it. Smooth as a babies behind. I have several rough board feet that needs to be worked on, seeing this just might get me going on it...Great job!

TerryT
12-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Most of my work is done in walnut and cherry. They both carve great and leave very little clean up sanding.

badbert
12-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Walnut is my fav wood to work with, I never pass up a chance to buy walnut when someone offers a good deal, and have "helped" several people take walnut tree off thier property. Nothing is more beautiful as long as they don't steam it, and couple it with some curly or quilted maple; wow! What quality did you have that on Bert?

I always use optimal settings.

Nick68
12-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the post BadBert...Walnut rocks and should make for a stark contrast when fused with poplur and white corian.

easybuilt
12-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Beautiful job Bert, I did not know walnut carved so nice. Thanks