PDA

View Full Version : Relief Carving for Box Lid

sjwilson57
12-16-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm trying to carve a relief for the top of a box. I have the pattern, but when I place it in the CW CNC it asks for several bits and then the last bit it asks for is the 1/16" carving bit, which is OK because this will give me the best detail; the issue is when the carving begins, the bit goes too deep and stalls.

How do I get this to carve without stalling? I have attached my project file. Any help would be appreciated!

Steve

fwharris
12-16-2012, 06:32 PM
A couple of observations, you have it set as a pierced carve with a cut out and a cut path. If you are doing pierced you do not need the cut path as the pierced will carve by default to the full depth of the board. You will need to add manual tabs to insure it holds in the board. and eliminate the cut paths.

If not pierced carve try a different depth setting and a 1/2" feather so the bit is not having to plunge so deep. With a deep carve you are not left with much wood behind your carving and it might warp on you. Look at .250 to see if you still get the detail you want.

badbert
12-17-2012, 01:00 AM
When you upload the file you should choose optimal from the drop down. This will put the machine in low gear. The slower movement will help prevent the stalling. But the real question is what are you trying to achieve. Are you going to "Cut" this scene out and glue it to a box lid? Or is this board going to be the box lid? In which case you do not need to cut it out.

gwhiz
12-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Also, check your carving bit. I just had a carve stall multiple times and realized that my bit was burned up. I switched carving bits and the carve continued just fine. Now to order a new bit....

sjwilson57
12-17-2012, 08:47 AM
badbert,

Thanks for the reply. I'm cutting it out to be an overlay on the box lid. The box lid is too thin to cut it out directly. fwharris' reply was the right ticket. Once I removed the pierced setting that fwharris suggested, then set the depth to .250", it worked.

sjwilson57
12-17-2012, 08:49 AM
fwharris,

Thanks for your suggestion, it worked perfectly once I removed the pierced setting and set the depth as you suggested to .250.

Steve

fwharris
12-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Steve,

Glad that worked out for you. Now we need pictures when you have it done!!

Thanks again,