PDA

View Full Version : touch plate will not come all the way out

sw123man
12-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I started a new project and notice that the touch plate will not come all the way out so it will not recognise the bit.I've cleaned and lubed it.Any suggestions?

chief2007
12-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Clean/ lube the rails and clean the y truck bearings. if you are at or close to 250 hrs the y motor bearings will need replaced.

dehrlich
12-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Look in the corner behind it, most likely the wires for the cut motor are in the way. Try moving the truck all the way to the right. If it stops short, that's usually the problem. Make sure they are tucked all the way in the corner and try again.

Digitalwoodshop
12-16-2012, 06:29 PM
That should do it.... Wires.. Good Luck,

AL

AskBud
12-16-2012, 09:57 PM
I started a new project and notice that the touch plate will not come all the way out so it will not recognise the bit.I've cleaned and lubed it.Any suggestions?Turn the machine off and move the Truck by hand and see if you can accomplish the task with no extreme pressure. There could be several reasons for the contact not to be made, or the plate to move stiffly.

1) The Truck travel may be impeded by dirt on the rail, or in the track. Lube on the track or blowing out the inside of the track may help.
2) The Truck belt may not be tight enough (The adjustment is made by changing the tension on the Right end of the track).
3) The Bit Plate may need a spot of lube.
4) Check for a set of wires to be blocking the Bit Plate movement (They are just beyond the Plate, and should not touch). Move them toward the main cut motor. They actually impede the truck from contacting the Bit (touch) Plate with enough force to move it in place.
5) As a last item, you may have a frozen Y-truck bearing.

sw123man
12-17-2012, 02:49 AM
thanks its working now

henry1
12-17-2012, 05:05 AM
What was the problem for you that you fixed it , was the wire in the way ??

sw123man
12-17-2012, 10:23 AM
after lubing and recleaning with a small vaccum attachment that fits into the rail it started working again.So I dont know which one did the trick but the piece turned out nice.

badbert
12-17-2012, 01:14 PM
after lubing and recleaning with a small vaccum attachment that fits into the rail it started working again.So I dont know which one did the trick but the piece turned out nice. Glad to hear you got it fixed! Please post pictures!

chief2007
12-17-2012, 02:33 PM
after lubing and recleaning with a small vaccum attachment that fits into the rail it started working again.So I dont know which one did the trick but the piece turned out nice.

How many hours are on your machine ?

dehrlich
12-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Must have jinxed me... had problems with mine today. Is there any reason that I can't eliminate the wire connectors, splice them together so they are easier to tuck into the crack?

fwharris
12-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Must have jinxed me... had problems with mine today. Is there any reason that I can't eliminate the wire connectors, splice them together so they are easier to tuck into the crack?

If I recall correctly you have a used machine, by any chance does the wires for the cut motor have a plastic wire cover like the one in the picture? If so take it off. It is not needed (not on any of the new machines) and will give you more room. To help keep the wires tucked back tape it into the corner towards the end panel.

dehrlich
12-18-2012, 12:58 AM
If I recall correctly you have a used machine, by any chance does the wires for the cut motor have a plastic wire cover like the one in the picture? If so take it off. It is not needed (not on any of the new machines) and will give you more room. To help keep the wires tucked back tape it into the corner towards the end panel.

Yeah, got the black ribbed cover. Hadn't thought of taking that off, thanks, I'll try it!