PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a 1/16 Carving Bit

pnast
12-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Does anyone know Where to buy a 1/16 Carving Bit with carvetight adapter? I burnt up my new bit on a piece of plywood, and still have a few orders to get out for Christmas. I have been waiting a few days for Carvewright to get them back in stock, they came in today but they don't have adapters. The adapters will not be in until some time next week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

chief2007
12-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Only from another carver - you can get the bits, but not in the adapter

dltccf
12-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Where are you located? If you are in desperate need perhaps you can borrow on from someone here located near you? You could also check a lowes near you to see if perhaps they have one that someone ordered and didn't pick up. That would be a pretty slim chance though. I just ordered one through Lowes and picked it up last night. You could borrow my brand new one if you are somewhere near Maryland.

dave

pnast
12-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the offer:) I'm in The Smoky Mountains Tennessee. It looks like Lowes only sells the bit with the Quick Change Adapter. I have carved birch plywood before with the bit that came with my machine, this is one of the new type bits and TOTALLY burnt up after carving 2 - 20 x 11 signs. I guess I have many, many fun filled hours of sanding ahead of me!

Thanks again,
Paul

dltccf
12-14-2012, 11:44 AM
I know the picture on the Lowes website only shows the quick chuck version, but actually you can get the carvetight version. That is the one I just got. What I did is place the order then immediately sent an email to LHR and told them when they receive the order for me from Lowes to make sure they send a carvetight version. It would be nice if Lowes had a way to specify directly which one, but they don't as far as I can see.

If you search the forum for Lowes, you can see that is a good choice for getting a new carving bit as they are $28 and no shipping vs $39 plus $12 shipping directly. Mine didn't take any longer using that method than it does when I have ordered directly.

Thanks for the offer:) I'm in The Smoky Mountains Tennessee. It looks like Lowes only sells the bit with the Quick Change Adapter. I have carved birch plywood before with the bit that came with my machine, this is one of the new type bits and TOTALLY burnt up after carving 2 - 20 x 11 signs. I guess I have many, many fun filled hours of sanding ahead of me!

Thanks again,
Paul

lynnfrwd
12-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Paul

Call me.

Connie

dltccf
12-14-2012, 11:46 AM
There are carvers in your area, perhaps one of them will see your post. Maybe try asking in the US-Tenessee "carver near you" part of the forum.

lynnfrwd
12-14-2012, 11:47 AM
I have a only a handful I can get out, but want to send one to those that need them to complete Christmas projects.

pnast
12-14-2012, 12:47 PM
:D Thanks so much Connie! You are a life saver!

Paul

cestout
12-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Why are they in short supply at LHR? Back when I worked for the phone company, if leased lines had problems, we had to drop our own stuff and fix theirs first. I have Southern California Telephone (and wireless Internet) service, using Verizon's lines. I get better service than Verizon customers. If someone orders thru Lowe's, do they get first crack at short supply stuff?
Clint

lynnfrwd
12-14-2012, 05:47 PM
No. If we don't have them for CarveWright customers, they are not available through Lowe's either.

Pratyeka
12-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Are you saying that the bit is burnt because of it's color? maybe it only needs a good cleaning. if there is burnt tar on it, it may feel dull. Clean it with oven cleaner or sap remover.

pnast
12-20-2012, 10:43 PM
No it is dull, the glue in the plywood must have killed it. If I scratch my fingernail with the top of the bit it cuts, the bottom 1/4 inch is dull!

rickyz
12-21-2012, 11:49 AM
cw-parts.com has bits and you can use the rock chuck adapter. I have one machine with the rock chuck and one with the carvetight. works in both.

lynnfrwd
12-21-2012, 01:16 PM
We got bits & adapters...in stock.

Pratyeka
12-21-2012, 05:13 PM
No it is dull, the glue in the plywood must have killed it. If I scratch my fingernail with the top of the bit it cuts, the bottom 1/4 inch is dull!

If I were you I would clean them with oven cleaner, just to make sure. Glue easily builds up on the bits and becomes a hard coating, preventing the metal edge from cutting effectively. I have seen this many times before.

badbert
12-21-2012, 07:55 PM
If I were you I would clean them with oven cleaner, just to make sure. Glue easily builds up on the bits and becomes a hard coating, preventing the metal edge from cutting effectively. I have seen this many times before.

Agreed Pratyeka! Most people don't realize how long a "Carbide" bit can last! A little cleaning goes a long way!

ktjwilliams
01-03-2013, 09:53 PM
You can also try sharpening if needed... I put my bits in a drill and run it in reverse on an oil diamond stone ... Even bits that are discolored from being burnt cut like new ... The hole bit don't have to look good, you just need to get the leading edges of the bit....

unitedcases
01-03-2013, 10:20 PM
I'll bite. Backwards on a diamond stone? I have probably 10-12 bits that are in my "dull" collection. Maybe a you tube demonstration? Step by step? This would be an awesome technique to learn. I already use the oven cleaner trick but I would love to be able to resharpen.

badbert
01-03-2013, 11:44 PM
I'll bite. Backwards on a diamond stone? I have probably 10-12 bits that are in my "dull" collection. Maybe a you tube demonstration? Step by step? This would be an awesome technique to learn. I already use the oven cleaner trick but I would love to be able to resharpen.

+1 for a video! LOL

ktjwilliams
01-04-2013, 11:11 AM
If I get a chance I'll do a video... But it's really simple thing to do and if ur bits are already in the shit box, you have nuttin to lose... After burning up and dulling out a bit after many many uses, I decided that before I throw the bit in the garbage I would try my diamond sharpener.. At first I tried by hand but cutting carbide even with a diamond was time consuming.. So I put the bit in a drill and set the drill on reverse cause you don't want the open side of the spiral coming into the diamond, you want to just do the back edges.. I eyeballed the angle as I spun the bit on the sharpener and stopped to check a couple times to make sure that the entire edge was making contact.. The inside of the spiral you have to clean the old fashioned way.. I give it a spritz of pitch and gum remover, let it sit for a little while then use a brass brush,, You all seen those diamond sharpeners at HD N Lowes... I didn't get mine there cause I wanted better quality... I called it a stone but that could be misleading... They are those plastic blocks that have the diamond infused plate on the top..

lawrence
01-04-2013, 11:15 AM
That is a very cool idea and one I will be trying out- heck it shouldn't be tough to make a jig to hold things at the right angle....

It reminds me of my cutters for my silhouette plotter/cutter- they are pretty expensive and are "unsharpenable" because they are so small. On a whim, I charged a piece of cow butt leather with some diamond paste and ran the blade through it a few times... a touch on my fingernail told me that it had worked and now I rehone my cutters often (it takes about 5 seconds before a cut) and then don't seem to dull at all... just like a barber rehoning a razor before each shave or keeping a plane iron honed- hone a lot and you don't need to sharpen

Lawrence

badbert
01-04-2013, 11:58 AM
That is a very cool idea and one I will be trying out- heck it shouldn't be tough to make a jig to hold things at the right angle....

It reminds me of my cutters for my silhouette plotter/cutter- they are pretty expensive and are "unsharpenable" because they are so small. On a whim, I charged a piece of cow butt leather with some diamond paste and ran the blade through it a few times... a touch on my fingernail told me that it had worked and now I rehone my cutters often (it takes about 5 seconds before a cut) and then don't seem to dull at all... just like a barber rehoning a razor before each shave or keeping a plane iron honed- hone a lot and you don't need to sharpen

Lawrence

Video! LOL

ktjwilliams
01-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Video if I get a chance,,, I live on the Jersey Shore so we have been busy with other things here ... But I will try one of these days , I'm not in the shop as much as I would like to be these days ...

unitedcases
01-06-2013, 09:15 AM
I think I get the idea. In theory just hold the bit with cutting part parallel to the diamond stone. And then reverse. I actually touched up a 3/16 carving bit last night just to see if I am seeing this clearly enough. I like the honing idea. It seems a bit more foolproof.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

ktjwilliams
01-07-2013, 10:45 AM
OK so today I decided that I would do the video for those that need clarification... I know sometimes I don't explain myself as good as I should but that's me .. I have received much help here myself so I like to help when I can and delaying this video any longer just ain't right.... So without further Ado heres the link .. http://youtu.be/m7Bz4xrJ8mM

badbert
01-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Excellent Video Kevin! Very informative. Thanks for taking time to make it.

fwharris
01-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Kevin,

Thanks loads for the video! Best of luck on your recovery for both your health and the Sandy mess.

ktjwilliams
01-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Hope it helped... Thx Floyd !!! One more thing,, I said in the video that I ran it longer then usual... that's when I'm touching up a bit,, When ur just giving a bit a touch up, a few seconds is usual good ... When I first do these old tired bits I run em until all the edges are back and polished.. Since these are carbide the first go at em could take a few minutes... I hold em in my hand so that I don't get em to hot... So I stop and start many times checking the edges until they are ALL polished all around...

b.sumner47
01-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Kevin, Thanks for the informative video. I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Capt Barry

henry1
01-07-2013, 12:18 PM
OK so today I decided that I would do the video for those that need clarification... I know sometimes I don't explain myself as good as I should but that's me .. I have received much help here myself so I like to help when I can and delaying this video any longer just ain't right.... So without further Ado heres the link .. http://youtu.be/m7Bz4xrJ8mM
That was very interesting, now will have to get diamond bit stone to sharpen the bits this was very informative

aokweld101
01-07-2013, 12:35 PM
thank you for showing that, I thought I was going to have to sell them by the pound I was saving the bits for that reason..

Bigtyme
01-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Very informative video, Ken. Thank you for putting it together. Will certainly be giving it a try. The bit you showed looked like it was in great shape after you put it through your process....

rickroy
01-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the video Kevin and YES! DMT Diamond blocks are still available:
http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Diamond-Stones-C3.aspx?UserID=28705973&SessionID=EdMp75oFpKK9wpcKaXkJ

unitedcases
01-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Great video. Any advice for the very tip of the bit?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

ktjwilliams
01-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Not really anything special for the tip.. When I touch up my bits, I make sure the edge is sharp all the way to the tip..

ktjwilliams
01-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Thx Rickroy for that link... A good diamond makes all the difference in the world... And like I said I've had mine for at least 7-8 yrs.. but with my perception of time these days it's more likely 10-12 yrs... LOL !!! And I use this diamond a lot, on all types of carbide cutters...

Rick P
01-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Thank you Kevin...I will give that a try ! Hope you stay dry !!