PDA

View Full Version : what am I missing, making dishes from patterns in the store

dltccf
12-13-2012, 02:18 PM
I have made a few dishes already but for my latest project I wanted to use one of the patterns from the store to make a dish. I selected this one from askbud:

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=21828&cat=&page=7

I wanted to make a dish with this in the bowl, but when I place it on the board there is the edge around it. i have tried every combination of merging and zero depth regions I can think of and I can't get a smooth lip on the bowl. I know it must be something simple I am missing, someone please point out what obvious thing I am forgetting, please.

dave

chief2007
12-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Have you tried using a flip cut with an insert of.125 - That might give you what you want.

bjbethke
12-13-2012, 04:46 PM
I have made a few dishes already but for my latest project I wanted to use one of the patterns from the store to make a dish. I selected this one from askbud:

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=21828&cat=&page=7

I wanted to make a dish with this in the bowl, but when I place it on the board there is the edge around it. i have tried every combination of merging and zero depth regions I can think of and I can't get a smooth lip on the bowl. I know it must be something simple I am missing, someone please point out what obvious thing I am forgetting, please.

dave

Hi I looked at the PTN, it is locked to the floor edge. You need to ask Bud to unlock the edge and make the pattern float. Only the person that made the PTN can change it in the Pattern Editor.

I made a MPC of a plate (the MPC is 1.84MB too large to post) Here are some images.

The black ring around the pattern shows the pattern is locked to the depth. (image one) #2 is not locked.

dltccf
12-25-2012, 10:38 PM
to follow up, I was able to get what I needed by using paint.net to create a black doughnut.I applied a gaussian blur of 2 to the doughnut then imported the doughnut as a pattern and placed it around the outside of the existing dish pattern just overlapping enought to cover the outside edge and set the depth of the doughunut pattern to 0.050 inches. The result came out very nice and I was very pleased with it.

Dave