PDA

View Full Version : Changing Y and Z transmission bearings.

badbert
12-13-2012, 02:03 PM
I received my 5-11-5 bearings from AVID today. I need to change the trans bearings for the Y and Z. My plan is two sockets. One a little smaller than the bearings to push them with. One a little larger to support the transmissions and catch the bearings. Am I on the right track? Or is there a better way? When I am done I will have new bearings in the Z and Y. New sprocket in the Z. New bearings and rails for the Z and Y. And brand new X-Drive conveyors and sandpaper belts.

Digitalwoodshop
12-13-2012, 08:22 PM
There is a ridge inside the hole that the bearings go into. So they come out each side not pushed throught.... I used a small allen wrench thought the hole to tap it out from the other side.

Z bearings get so little wear I have never replaced any. Y gets all the Abuse.

AL

badbert
12-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks Al!! Exactly the kinda info I was looking for! The Z does still seem good. I guess I will save bearings for the Y then. Thanks Again!!

badbert
12-14-2012, 05:23 AM
UPDATE: Everything went smooth. there was some "looseness" in the z bearings. So I did replace them. I still can't get over it. I rebuilt the Y and the Z drives with new bearings and gears. Replaced all 8 Y and Z Rails and bearings. Replaced the Flex-shaft sheath and Top hat. Installed brand new X-conveyors and sandpaper belts. Replaced my bent sliding guide fence. And had the cut motor rebuilt.

All for under $100!

Digitalwoodshop
12-14-2012, 11:51 AM
GOOD JOB !!!!

Anyone doing the Y Gearbox Replacement of the Bearings will get that "New Car Feel" when you see it operate... And if you replace the Y Roller Rail Bearing and BUFF the Y Rails, even BETTER..... WELL Worth the investment...

Good Job !!!!

AL

CNC Carver
12-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Sounds like you'll be using a new machine again.