PDA

View Full Version : Carved from Sassafras

IM2HAPPI
02-01-2007, 06:13 PM
This is by far the neatest wood to work with. I dont know much about it but was given some from my son. He said he could get more. :D I did make a small booboo, can you see it ? Was going to start in corner to carve than changed my mind and centered it. The wood in front was too long and right by the r in our last name got a little indent. This wood doesnt chip out at all. I sanded it maybe a minute if that. Next is a angel box for my 9 year old granddaughter. She is flying here to Mi from Az on her spring break. A tad apprehensive about flying alone so this will help on her way home. Expectly with some jewerly in it and her name on the box.

pkunk
02-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Wow! Sassafras does carve nicely. I'll have to find me some of that. Almost as crisp as seasoned whit oak but with nicer grain. And i thought I knew wood. :oops:

IM2HAPPI
02-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Its a heavy as a piece of oak but what really amazes me is I didnt see 1 knot in the wood we have. I was going to read up on it, Im thinking it must be a hard wood. I do think they make root beer out of root or some part of it.

bigguy
02-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Hi
And yes they make root beer from the root of Sassafras trees they dig them out in the fall and winter when the sap is down.
My grandmother kept it she called it Sassafras tea and served it hot very good stuff. I have not seen a lot of lumber sawed from Sassafras.

Jeff_Birt
02-02-2007, 09:47 PM
That looks great? How do plan on finishing it piece?

IM2HAPPI
02-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Well.....I put a hint of color on pinecones and needles using just a tad of water color. I wanted the grain to show through and it worked. It has a booboo so figured it was a good time to try it out. Let it dry for an hr or so and polyu it. It wont be outside. I'll post another pic when its done. Next time a smaller file to.
Barb

pwngsd
02-03-2007, 05:09 PM
I've got a bunch on my property. They are all saplings though. I've got one bigger one that I've found so far, but I sure as heck ain't gonna cut it down! <G>

IM2HAPPI
02-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Why, you cant take it with you lol. May as well cut it down and do some stuff with the cw. I talked to a guy from Tenn this morning that cut a hudge one down last fall and burned it, I was like noway. He than said, so that is a tree where money can grow on it ? Why yes I said, its one of best woods for carvers. Probably could sell it anywhere all day long. Not alot out there to be had.

pwngsd
02-06-2007, 11:22 AM
I rekon I'll go exploring for more. Perhaps a storm knocked on down.
I've got 23 big oak trees down plus several HUGE holleys>
Is hollywood any good??

Jeff_Birt
02-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Is hollywood any good??

It depends on who you ask and your persoanl taste. Judging from recent years I'd say much of it has gone down hill and it' sfull of actors who are full of themselves. :lol: Sorry, I could not resist :lol:

Greybeard
02-06-2007, 12:06 PM
In UK, holly is looked on as one of the most desirable turning and carving timber if you need a very white wood. It carves very crisply, with a supurb finish.
Unfortunately it often carries a discolouration making it very grey.
I don't know if your own native species is the same as ours or not.
Regards
John

HerbO
02-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Found this site advertised in my Woodworks mag.
http://www.danddwoodcrafts.com/specials.html
They were selling some Sassafras.

IM2HAPPI
02-06-2007, 01:53 PM
So the stuff I have is at least 8 in some 10 and 1 in deep....ouch glad I got mine from my son free ; ) Thanks Herbo

pwngds- I have never heard of that type.

pwngsd
02-08-2007, 11:01 PM
They sell 15" x 36" Aspen panels for $13.
I trimmed off a 1/2" and used it for my first sign.
It cut pretty dang good. But, I have no comparision as its my first sign.
I'm going to go wood scrounging and try to get some scraps of cherry and other stuff to play around with.

-Paul