PDA

View Full Version : Small Pearced Carving

Northwoods Woodcrafter
12-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi folks..

Sorry... *Pierced

g about carving small sihouettes onto thin bookmark sized wood. I've seen nice flat cherry bookmarks with images of animals and such. I assume that these are done with lazer carvers. Has anyone cut anything that small? I could see carving it deeper in a block of wood and then cutting thin strips off. Maybe it would take a thinner carving bit.

Pete

James RS
12-10-2012, 03:45 AM
If I'm following you correctly, there's a gentleman on here who carves thin plastic tags
for fire departments. He uses a sled, there's more info in the Tips section on sleds

Northwoods Woodcrafter
12-10-2012, 05:25 AM
If I'm following you correctly, there's a gentleman on here who carves thin plastic tags
for fire departments. He uses a sled, there's more info in the Tips section on sleds

Thanks!

I found the post. He uses the Carvewright to cut out the tags. That could be useful. What I want to do is carve the silhouette of, let's say a moose or a hummingbird, into the cutout.

Pete

Northwoods Woodcrafter
12-27-2012, 08:50 AM
So I'm thinking of purchasing the 1/16 straight cutting bit to see how intricate a silhouette I can carve on a thin piece of wood. The carvings will be 3/4" x 3/4" at most on a 1/8" piece of cherry.

CNC Carver
12-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Sounds like it would work. I have not carved things so small to know for sure it would work.

Northwoods Woodcrafter
01-02-2013, 07:35 PM
I received a 1/16 bit I ordered from amazon, and carved some detailed silhouettes on thin cherry stock. it should work very well for bookmarks. i ordered some 1/16 cherry veneer as well. Now I'll have to design a project for multiple bookmarks from one sheet of veneer.

Carl H
01-02-2013, 07:56 PM
For years I cut extremely tiny things on the scroll saw. One of the things I found handy was leaving a spur attached like the sprue on plastic models.
If you keep your design based on the 1/16 bit you should have no problems.
I think I would use double sided tape to keep the thin wood attached to a backer board.
The idea of cutting an outline and slicing it into strips is how I did the Worlds Smallest Farm puzzle.
5 cows and a bull stood across the face of a penny.

I can see many techniques from scrolling being transferred to the CW

keninar
01-02-2013, 08:33 PM
No intent to hijack this thread.......but I just gotta ask:

Worlds Smallest Farm puzzle?

Pic's Please!!!!!!

Sounds most interesting!

Thanks!

ken

lawrence
01-02-2013, 08:46 PM
I've been meaning to do some... but my plan is to carve designs in thicker material (3/4 inch thick) and then bandsaw off thin slices as bookmarks... but that's as far as my brain has gotten with this....

Lawrence

badbert
01-02-2013, 11:04 PM
I received a 1/16 bit I ordered from amazon, and carved some detailed silhouettes on thin cherry stock. it should work very well for bookmarks. i ordered some 1/16 cherry veneer as well. Now I'll have to design a project for multiple bookmarks from one sheet of veneer. Please provide a link to the bit you bought from Amazon.

Northwoods Woodcrafter
01-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Please provide a link to the bit you bought from Amazon.

Badbert...

Here is the link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004T7B2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I have the CT, so I used the 1/4" to 1/2" collet. I had to mess with the height quite a bit to make the machine happy. In the end I hit "continue" when it bitched and it worked fine.

While I was doing it, I wondered if LHR or any member knows the bit lengths that the machine is looking for. I have the gauge to measure the length easily (even though it was designed for the QC).

Lawrence, I have to admit that for this test, I used a thicker piece of cherry and "shaved" off 1/16" of material for the bookmark. I intend to use double stick tape when the veneer gets here.

I've been playing with this idea for a long time. I lived in New England and visited LL Bean many times. They couldn't keep cherry bookmarks in stock. They sold for around $5 and had many cool silhouettes.

Also... thanks to those who are teaching me how to spell "pierce"!

Pete