PDA

View Full Version : New project

James RS
12-09-2012, 01:27 PM
I got this pattern from here of the stallions, I am making a coat rack for our
entrance way. Here it is all carved, now for the sanding

EDIT: Well today I got a chance to work on this project I started a little bit ago. I made the hangers with Ed's Rotary jig.
I applied stain today and mounted the hangers and put some 1" plugs in the ends of the hangers, tomorrow it gets clear then hung up by thursday

"Special Thank You to Badbert for the pattern"

fwharris
12-09-2012, 01:40 PM
James,

Great job! Looks like that burned up some machine time!!

easybuilt
12-09-2012, 02:04 PM
That is awesome James. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

dltccf
12-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Beautiful, I was just thinking about carving another stallions. I like the coat rack idea. I spent a good deal of time getting everything lined back up after resizing to fit a 34 inch 1x8. I can post the resized pattern if someone wants it.

Dave

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

b.sumner47
12-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Very Nice, What depth did you use?

Capt Barry

badbert
12-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Hey alright!! They look great!! It's nice to see it carved!!

guido5286
12-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Man that looks great! I would like to have that pattern if you would be willing to share it Dave.

SharonB
12-09-2012, 11:10 PM
That pattern sure carves nice. Sure hope you post pictures when it's finished. What size is the carving?

liquidguitars
12-09-2012, 11:19 PM
looking good!

ladjr
12-10-2012, 12:10 AM
That is the fun part. Great carve please post finished project

James RS
12-10-2012, 03:42 AM
I had to adjust height and depth due to the original board is a 1" board and I used 3/4.
The time , well it began as 12 hours. I worked on it when time permitted, i just stopped the machine until the next session.
I plan on using the rotary jig to make the custom pegs for the hangers, man I love this machine.
So many great things being made and so many nice people

Thanks I'll post pics when it's all finished.
Jim

badbert
12-10-2012, 03:56 AM
The files were too big for the forum. So I uploaded them. They have been downloaded dozens of times. But this is only the third time I have seen them carved!

http://www.mediafire.com/?zido5dh1v05jl

guido5286
12-16-2012, 05:03 AM
I had to adjust height and depth due to the original board is a 1" board and I used 3/4.
The time , well it began as 12 hours. I worked on it when time permitted, i just stopped the machine until the next session.
I plan on using the rotary jig to make the custom pegs for the hangers, man I love this machine.
So many great things being made and so many nice people

Thanks I'll post pics when it's all finished.
Jim

When I try to adjust the thickness of my board the horses legs go into the rope. Anyone know why?

Also what are some good types of wood to carve on? So far I've only used Pine and Oak, The pine works good but I didn't like carving in the oak.

James RS
12-16-2012, 07:40 AM
When I try to adjust the thickness of my board the horses legs go into the rope. Anyone know why?

Also what are some good types of wood to carve on? So far I've only used Pine and Oak, The pine works good but I didn't like carving in the oak.

Yeas I ran into this very problem, I ended up with the Stallions carve depth at .5 with height of 100 and the rope border carve depth at .5 height at 30, I used 3/4 poplar board

guido5286
12-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks James. I adjusted the height of the ropes and it worked just fine.

I'm still curious about different types of wood people have carved in though besides pine, poplar, and oak. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

badbert
12-16-2012, 10:35 PM
I am glad you guys are enjoying my pattern!! :) Two of my favorite woods, and both carve beautifully. Maple and Walnut. Mdf carves great as well, but be careful using cut path! The bit will get dirty quickly and get hot enough to ignite the dust.

James RS
09-02-2013, 02:25 PM
I posted some updated photo's on the first post

Proctorw
09-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks James. I adjusted the height of the ropes and it worked just fine.

I'm still curious about different types of wood people have carved in though besides pine, poplar, and oak. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I was using Cherry for the Crosses I have been cutting. A little on the expensive side, about $6.00 a Board Foot. That being said, almost zero work on sanding out chips/fuzz/etc. Last time I went to buy Cherry, I found what I thought was Cherry, but it turned out to be Alder which I found out is a poor mans Cherry. It is $3.50 a BF and looks very similar to Cherry. Not quite as red, but unless they are side by side, it is hard to tell them apart. In fact at craft shows, I will be calling the crosses Cherry or Alder as I can't tell the difference.

lawrence
09-02-2013, 05:48 PM
VERY nice carve -

Lawrence