PDA

View Full Version : Slicing and dicing

BoardSilly
02-01-2007, 05:58 PM
I got curious when I read about the thoughts on slicing your carvings to gain greater height etc., and thought I'd run a real quick experiment.

In short summation.. this is do able. I'm including the ptn files I created in this experiment, the screenshots of the actual stacking in Designer, and the final mpc file.

To keep things simple I just did a 4 slice stack up for the carving. For 20 minutes effort its not bad.

###Files pulled to avoid copyright issues

menewfy
02-01-2007, 06:18 PM
i would agree that it is cool and good to hear it did not take too long.

I am wondering though why do it is the point to carve something deeper than an inch?

i wonder if it would work on duck decoys?

there is no end to what it can do huh?

thanks for sharing btw

roto5
02-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Nicely done! How did you do it?

Thanks,
Roto5

liquidguitars
02-01-2007, 07:03 PM
cool,
Is this using only one map? or have you inported the 4 maps sliced one at a time?

BoardSilly
02-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Nicely done! How did you do it?

Thanks,
Roto5

It was actually very simple to do! I'll do a write up of how it was done and what is needed to do it. I'll post the directions on the board here when I have it completed. I'll do it as a .pdf so both Windows and Mac users can read it.

BoardSilly
02-01-2007, 08:22 PM
cool,
Is this using only one map? or have you inported the 4 maps sliced one at a time?

The design was sliced into 4 distinct parts. You would then carve each part out individually and stack the carved pieces together after you have them all cut out. I only put them into the designer all at once to show that they can indeed be carved one at a time and then laminated together. Fastest way to give everyone a visual of it.

With the ability to do sliced carving, it would be terrific to have a 4th axis carving capability! ( which I have been told by the tech's is in the works )

You could then take something like a bowling pin, or a duck decoy as someone else asked about, and by carving in slices create a complete 3D object. Not to shabby for a "home workshop" CNC.

I know some people are getting disgruntled and upset that they can't open the box and carve master pieces right away. Trust me when I say this.. take the time to learn the machine and software, learn a little about 3D design, how CNC carving works, and you will be amazed at what this machine can do for its price tag.

BUT.. this is still a home carver and NOT a mass production machine for turning out large scale runs.