PDA

View Full Version : Slipping y belt

jerrbitt
12-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Replaced the y belt and since have successfully run about three carves with no problem until today. Message Y belt slipping.
Checked the tension and appears okay. Ad I know the bracket that holds the y belt is tight and the gears on each end are okay.

The carve I was doing lost track of the project in the Z direction and that may have been caused by my stupidly forgetting to lock down the rollers. The Y belt would not cause that would it?

Going to run another carve with the rollers locked down this time and see if the slippage message occurs again.

unitedcases
12-07-2012, 04:47 PM
What do you mean the z direction lost track? If it carved deeper I would say clean the encoder out. If you find tons of dust in it and it did in fact carve deep then more than likely your bit just jammed up due to the deeper sudden carve and the machine interprets that as a y failure.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

jerrbitt
12-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Hmmm -- guess I was not too clear. What I meant is that if you would consider two circles one within the other, after competing carving one circle and then when it went to carve the other circle, the inner circle was no longer equal distance from all points to the outer circle. In other words, it is like the board slipped on the X axis. But I just finished another carve and this time it went through perfectlyo and no message about the Y belt slippping.
Thanks for replying.

What do you mean the z direction lost track? If it carved deeper I would say clean the encoder out. If you find tons of dust in it and it did in fact carve deep then more than likely your bit just jammed up due to the deeper sudden carve and the machine interprets that as a y failure.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

SteveNelson46
12-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Jerrbitt

It sounds like you have a Y or Z bearing that is either not rolling freely or it is impeded by a foreign object eg. sawdust or wiring.

Digitalwoodshop
12-08-2012, 03:11 PM
A few thoughts here.... If the Hole was off center or located in the X Direction than it was a Brass Roller slipping or loosing contact with the bottom of the board. The 7 inch rule of wood comes into play with this... As if the board pops out from under a roller it can tilt up and the brass roller can loose contact and the board moves...

As for the message Y Belt Slipping... It is a Tooth Belt and very seldom actually slips... If it was too loose then yes... But a more likely reason for the Belt Slipping Message is that the 2 inner Gear Box Bearings are failing and letting the big plastic gear of the Y Gear box lean toward the center of the machine and 1. let the belt get so loose that yes, it does slip.... Or 2. When the Big Gear is leaning over toward the center of the machine it is making contact with the U Shaped Frame that the Y is mounted into. The Rubbing causes a slip or stall causing the position of the Carving to offset from the desired location. 3. When the big plastic gear leans over toward the center of the machine it moves further away from the Y MOTOR splined shaft and slips. This can usually be heard at the Bit Change when the Y goes over to the Bit Flag and is STRAINING to push out the Bit Flag makes 3 CLICKS as it slips...

As for the Z or Up and Down being wrong.... A Dirty Encoder is a likely cause... But I am not sure if that is the error...

And as always... A frozen Roller Rail Bearing not easily seen can cause the Y or Z Error... Marking the bearing with a black marker and move and watch to see if it SLIDED or Rotates.

And Lastly.. A Rolled under Sand Paper Belt is hard to see but raises the board by the thickness of the paper and can lift it up off the Brass Roller.....

So this was a SHOTGUN post of the most likely Causes for Axis Problems.... More for the NEW Guys... Not necessarily the answer for the problem posted here as I was slightly confused as to what Axis the problem really was in... So I posted a whole bunch of situations so others could learn...

And lastly... Always 1. Remember to get in the habit of watching the Bit Change every time, the bit touching the bit plate. It tells you the health of the machine and can prevent wasted WOOD.... Saving you MONEY. and 2. Always have a Battery Smoke Detector above your machine.

AL stepping off my soap box...