PDA

View Full Version : 1 Pass depth cutting

coop2739
12-05-2012, 11:02 AM
I am trying to create a finger labyrinth. I want to end up with a groove 3/4" wide by about .470 deep. I am trying to use a 1/2" ball nose to rough out the groove using (2) cutpaths, each offset from centerline by 1/8". I want each of these to be .230" deep. Then I wish to cut on the centerline .430 deep. These cuts will rough out the majority of the material so I can then finish the groove with a 3/4" ball nose on the centerline to make the groove 3/4" wide by .470 deep. The problem I am having is each of the bits take (2) passes to get to correct depth. How can I get to a single pass cut for each of them?

Digitalwoodshop
12-05-2012, 12:01 PM
I don't believe you can.... It is built in protection for the machine even though you plan to do some cutting with other bits... I believe the machine is going to default to protect itself...

But there may be a way and someone will chime in... You could lie to the machine and after setting up the artwork with the wider bits change the bit to a 1/4 inch bit in the machine but load the wider bit. You are taking responsibility if you do this as it could snap your truck off... But it could give you what you are trying to do.

By selecting the 1/4 inch round nose bit the machine will lock the feed rate into 1st gear. If you did this and selected the 1/8 inch bit the machine would start out in 1st gear then shift to the faster feed rate that I call 2nd gear... And with the wider bit... Bad things could happen in 2nd gear...

AL