PDA

View Full Version : still more info on Sears extended warranty plans

Guan-xi
02-01-2007, 02:46 PM
I just rang off from a girl named Christy with Sears protection agreements (800) 827-6655. She said she has sold several of us extended warranties for our CompuCarve units. She was able to clear a lot of the confusion I had after reading several of these forum posts.

--> It is essential that you provide the Sears rep with your serial number. The model number, 133.217540, is used for several different joiner/planer products they offer. (Yes, that's the category into which our little Sears unit falls.) Providing the serial number specifically identifies, not only the individual unit, but the type as well. This is one of the items that determines the coverage available for the unit as well as the base cost for the protection plan. The other factor used in determining the remainder of the plan cost is the physical location of the unit. The closer this address is to the place from which the repairman is dispatched, the lower the cost of the plan. Since, I'm located a little southeast of Bum Screw America, the cost for my plan was $75 more than the base price of the $110 that I've seen mentioned in some of the posts.

--> Now for the black magic and probably the cause of much of the confusion...
When you call to purchase the extended service agreement, here's what happens.
1 - The Sears rep pulls up your order and goes to the line for the CompuCarve unit
2 - from there she performs an "add item" function
3 - she selects extended service agreement or some similar verbage (I forgot to ask that piece)
4 - the Sears software takes the item number and looks up the service plan category - in our case the infamous joiner/planer mentioned above
5 - she then enters the model number, 133.217540, and up pops the various extended warranties available

--> Because the Master Protection Plan coverage will replace any and everything up to the retail price of the unit, it is imperative that Sears know how much we paid for our CompuCarve unit if you are unwilling or unable to provide them with your serial number. Apparently there is another item using this same model number that costs less than $800 and does not have a lot of electronic components. The extended service agreement for that item is around $45.

Please don't misunderstand, I am in no way inferring that those of you who were fortunate enough to pay less for your extended warranties have any less coverage than the rest of us. I just mention it to show that we as purchasers are not the only ones confused. Sears seems to have mountains of it themselves.

Hope this helps ...

BobC33
02-01-2007, 03:49 PM
I just rang off from a girl named Christy with Sears protection agreements (800) 827-6655. She said she has sold several of us extended warranties for our CompuCarve units. She was able to clear a lot of the confusion I had after reading several of these forum posts.

--> It is essential that you provide the Sears rep with your serial number. The model number, 133.217540, is used for several different joiner/planer products they offer. (Yes, that's the category into which our little Sears unit falls.) Providing the serial number specifically identifies, not only the individual unit, but the type as well. This is one of the items that determines the coverage available for the unit as well as the base cost for the protection plan. The other factor used in determining the remainder of the plan cost is the physical location of the unit. The closer this address is to the place from which the repairman is dispatched, the lower the cost of the plan. Since, I'm located a little southeast of Bum Screw America, the cost for my plan was $75 more than the base price of the $110 that I've seen mentioned in some of the posts.

--> Now for the black magic and probably the cause of much of the confusion...
When you call to purchase the extended service agreement, here's what happens.
1 - The Sears rep pulls up your order and goes to the line for the CompuCarve unit
2 - from there she performs an "add item" function
3 - she selects extended service agreement or some similar verbage (I forgot to ask that piece)
4 - the Sears software takes the item number and looks up the service plan category - in our case the infamous joiner/planer mentioned above
5 - she then enters the model number, 133.217540, and up pops the various extended warranties available

--> Because the Master Protection Plan coverage will replace any and everything up to the retail price of the unit, it is imperative that Sears know how much we paid for our CompuCarve unit if you are unwilling or unable to provide them with your serial number. Apparently there is another item using this same model number that costs less than $800 and does not have a lot of electronic components. The extended service agreement for that item is around $45.

Please don't misunderstand, I am in no way inferring that those of you who were fortunate enough to pay less for your extended warranties have any less coverage than the rest of us. I just mention it to show that we as purchasers are not the only ones confused. Sears seems to have mountains of it themselves.

Hope this helps ...

I just got off the phone with a warranty rep and she definitley said "THAT THERE IS NO WARRANTY ON THESE MACHINES YET THRU SEARS" What I was sold earlier and probably alot of you were for a benchtop tool under the model number. So when it is time for you to use this service it will not apply to your particular machine. So there goes the warranty onthis expensive piece of equipment. I sure don't know what everyone else bought but it is not covering your machine as you suspect it will...So keep down your hours on machine or you will find yourself out of warranty real quick. I have only 19 hours and 15 mins for only having it two weeks so far.

HandTurnedMaple
02-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Who could be so incompetent as to assign the same model number to more than one item?

Sears has got the most #$@% company on the planet.