PDA

View Full Version : Painting Raised Letters

unitedcases
12-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Having some learning difficulties here. Attached is a photo of a sign that we recently did for a friend. We love the way they came out but wanted to see if anyone had any technique advice. My wife has been doing the painting and a good job of it. We were thinking of a gel stain or something along the lines of that so that way we can encase the entire letter in color vice just the top of it. What I have attached is a relief carving with just two different heights of text to achieve the desired effect. I hope I am making sense of what I am asking to do. Basically my thoughts were to use gel stain to coat each individual letter in the hopes that alot of touchup is not required. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

chief2007
12-04-2012, 12:11 PM
You could try Stain pens, minwax makes some as well as a couple of other companies, also could use paint pens for the lettering. They come in a variety of colors and you have great control with them.

Digitalwoodshop
12-04-2012, 12:39 PM
I use 3/4 inch syringes and store latex paint in a Ketchup Bottle for easy syringe refill from the bottle. That works great for V Cut Letters. For Surface Letters a piece of hard plastic and a dense sponge like material like the end of a 4 inch foam paint roller. I apply the paint to the plastic sheet and dab the sponge to get the sponge loaded up and just dab it on the high letters. smaller sponges for smaller letters. Touch up with a fine brush.

Transferring all the Quart of paint to a Ketchup Bottle really saves paint waste due to drying skin on a Quart and is easier to use than a quart can.

Nice Sign.

AL

Ranfy
12-18-2012, 08:36 AM
I'm just starting to make some signs for friends. How can I find out how to get the words on top of words effect you have created? I love the sign, and our daughter-in-law is expecting a baby girl any day now.
Thanks

unitedcases
12-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Just change the height of the letters.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2