PDA

View Full Version : plinth block

gumbo
12-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Has any one ever made a plinth block on the machine? I need 4 at a size that I can't seem to find, for a corner cabinet that I need to make for someone. Something like this but probally 2 3/4 inch suqare.

TerryT
12-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Yep, when we installed new flooring in the house Kathy insisted on custom rosettes similar to the one you show and plinth blocks on all of the molding through out the house. After making my designs I cut my pieces to size and built a carrier board that held the blank, sized block, perfectly centered and carved them all on the carvewright. It worked very well.

eelamb
12-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Gumbo, if you want this pattern send me a PM with your email address.
I made this one a few minutes ago. Should have been a quick y, but Hmmmmm, kept not connecting my lines LOL
Made with Moi3d, took about 10 minutes.
The two shown are the same pattern. Original pattern is 7.7x7.7x.5. After placing the pattern on the board I reduced the pattern to 2.75", that is the smaller one. As you see it can be resized to fit your needs.

eelamb
12-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Here is what it will look like in wood or clear plastic.

fwharris
12-04-2012, 04:39 PM
You are the man Eddie!! Good job. I gave it a shot with the new 2d/3d tools doing only the inner circles, no edge detail, and took about 5 minutes or so..

ladjr
12-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Eddie
Did you actually make one in plastic and wood. They sure look real

Leo
Life is to short carve something today

eelamb
12-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Leo no, it was rendering the 3d OBJ file.
Leo you can not believe what you see anymore, not with the software available out there. Commercials are done using 3d and rendering animation, same goes for the movies.

Floyd show us what you came up with. Would love to see it.

Thanks Floyd and Leo.

eelamb
12-04-2012, 07:50 PM
This rosette has been added to the CNC Model Club web site, along with a few older patterns I had made 2 years ago for Christmas, some were shared here at that time.

fwharris
12-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Floyd show us what you came up with. Would love to see it.

Sure thing Eddie! I did not save it but not hard to do again. This time I did to the block edge..

eelamb
12-04-2012, 09:49 PM
looks good Floyd. After you posted you were making it I got to thinking of the 3d suite and how it would do the same thing. Only draw back I saw was the square outline. But then again I have not used the software that much and I do not own it.

fwharris
12-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks Eddie. For the square I used the puffing tool "flat". did not try that on first attempt so learning tool for me this time... With out doing that the outer circle was indented.

eelamb
12-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Decided to make the rosette using the 3d suite and here is the results. I do not own the software so using the demo. But if you own it you can follow these images steps to make it yourself. This was done quickly so it is not perfect.

Dan-Woodman
12-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Another way to do this is to simple draw circles and substitute a (point cutting roundover) bit for the roundover bit in designer. They come in at least a couple different sizes and are avaiable at woodline. I would like to see this bit added to designer.
The attached plaque picture is a example of useing that bit. It doesn't look good in designer because the roundover they have has a flat bottom on it instead of a point.