PDA

View Full Version : Strange Behavior during bit change

badbert
11-28-2012, 03:59 AM
I meant to post this the other night... I was waiting for a "bit change" on a 8 hour carve. When "Bucky" finally went silent, I headed to the Man Cave. As I opened the door... I heard the bit tab slap open! By the time I got to the keyboard the screen said "Routing Pattern"! The machine didn't wait for me to change the bit! I pressed STOP and pondered the dilemma for a while. I came to the conclusion that the radius edge of the carving, didn't leave much to cut. And the board was only 3/4" when I started. The carving bit worked great. Has any one else ever had this problem? The only explanation I can come up with... This is a pretty important carve, a Christmas present for my Mom-in-law. (One of my favorite people!) The test carve lost a lot of text to tear out. So I was making sure this one didn't. I had paused it several times and blown out the fine MDF dust so I could view the letters. Maybe I created static with the blow gun? Any other theories?

chief2007
11-28-2012, 05:16 AM
I think it's heat related, I have had a similar occurrence on a long carve. The best I have traced it to is heat.

Had a warm day out, was carving without the A/C on in the shop. After several hours if carving a project, went out for the bit change and the project showed finished, edges routed with the carving bit. Shop was hot so the machine temp was hot.

So lesson learned, I keep my shop between 72-76 year round when carving. No more problems since.

badbert
11-28-2012, 04:27 PM
My machine is in "The Bomb Shelter" unheated except for radiant heat from the basement wall. It used to be the coal room under the porch when the house was built. Somewhere along the line, someone poured a concrete floor. The walls are concrete block. The ceiling is a the 4"inch thick concrete porch slab. The machine is very quiet, barely heard in there. Which is good since I am nocturnal, I can work at night without bothering anyone. Since it is in the thirty's here in Mi... I don't think heat is a problem.

chief2007
11-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Still could be some heat build up around the control box. Guess keep an eye on it.

liquidguitars
11-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Are you saying the machine turned on and ran the wrong bit without you changing it?

badbert
11-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Are you saying the machine turned on and ran the wrong bit without you changing it?

YES!! That is exactly what I said! LOL Weird, huh?!

liquidguitars
11-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Hi Badbert, what software version and firmware please...

bergerud
11-28-2012, 09:25 PM
I have had that before. It stopped as it should but then continued as if the enter button was pressed. It was a bit unnerving because I kept pressing stop and it kept restarting. It behaved after a card re flash and so I figured it to be a software problem.

badbert
11-28-2012, 10:33 PM
The latest version of both. I always keep updated.

chief2007
11-28-2012, 10:49 PM
I have had that before. It stopped as it should but then continued as if the enter button was pressed. It was a bit unnerving because I kept pressing stop and it kept restarting. It behaved after a card re flash and so I figured it to be a software problem.

Had that exact same thing happen, what I found was it was during a long carve, 5 plus hrs, found the bottom of the unit built up heat, caused the control box to heat up and go crazy so to speak.

So with added dust collection and a/c in the shop no more problems.

Could be software as well, but I only had this occur when a had higher temps in the shop.

badbert
11-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Ran the same MPC last night, never removed the card. It worked perfectly. This time I never paused it though.