PDA

View Full Version : Have big problem?

dehrlich
11-26-2012, 01:46 PM
So I replaced the QC chuck on Saturday, no problems. Everything back together as it was, flex cable seated both ends. Went to do first carve with new chuck today. Almost right away started making extra noise, almost like cable wasn't seated. Checked and it was fine. Once it started actually carving it got better for a minute or so then came back. Stopped it to check cable and noiced the Z truck was hotter than it probably should be, especially since it only carved 3% of the pattern. Chuck is fine, bit is tight. Could I have messed something up in the truck? Didn't use that much heat, just a wood burning tool and it only got extra warm to the touch. What do I check? This is an A series machine with less than 15 hours of cut time. Help please!

fwharris
11-26-2012, 02:06 PM
If you are updated to the latest version of the software run the users test on the cutting head. It is found in the options menu 0,8. Arrow down to the cut motor test and follow the prompts (Load board with no bit) and run the test.

You might also re lube the flex shaft..

bergerud
11-26-2012, 02:48 PM
I think heat from the truck would be from the bearings. The outer races of the bearings are held in place by corrugated spacers call tolerance rings. One of the outer races could have gotten tilted during your change operation. Maybe you can feel some resistance to rotation? A light tap to the spindle from the top and bottom should realign the bearings if they did move.

dehrlich
11-26-2012, 03:02 PM
After further investigation it sounded like the noise coming from the motor. So I took the cover loose and removed the flex shaft and cover, not sure what I expected to find but everything looked ok. Reassembled and re-lubed the shaft. When I started it back up, it went to do the homing cycle. It goes to the far right like normal, but the little arm that pops out for it to touch doesn't come out far enough now. Tried it 3 times with same result. Seems like everytime I try to fix one problem it creates another. Maybe I'm not smart enough to run this machine, I should just sell it and cut my losses... I don't know. GRRRRRR

bergerud
11-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Check the wires in the top back corner that go to the motor. If they are not tucked back into the corner, they stop the carriage from moving all the way to the right.

Also, make sure the flex core "floats" and is not under compression.

dehrlich
11-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Just can't seem to get this out of my head, so going to post a few more thoughts and see what happens. The bit plate problem is fixed, Berg was right, wires in the way. I concentrated on the flex shaft. I removed it, made sure it was lubed good and reinstalled it. It seats in the motor good with no play, and after installed completely I turned the chuck by hand and can hear the motor turning, so everything is connected. Problems still exists, and the vibration/noise seems to come from the motor area, not the truck/chuck. Question, if something is wrong with the bearings in the spindle making it harder to turn, will that cause the flex shaft to vibrate and maybe cause the noise? I'm going back to the heat in the truck issue. I did tap it as suggested in case the tolerance rings moved. After I let it run again, which it wasn't even cutting, just going back over the part already carved, I stopped it to check things out and the truck was hot again.... so was that end of the flex shaft I learned the hard way. I just am finding it hard to believe I'm having so many problems with a machine that has been used so little. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

lynnfrwd
11-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Call hardware support tomorrow. 713-473-6572

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjbethke
11-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Just can't seem to get this out of my head, so going to post a few more thoughts and see what happens. The bit plate problem is fixed, Berg was right, wires in the way. I concentrated on the flex shaft. I removed it, made sure it was lubed good and reinstalled it. It seats in the motor good with no play, and after installed completely I turned the chuck by hand and can hear the motor turning, so everything is connected. Problems still exists, and the vibration/noise seems to come from the motor area, not the truck/chuck. Question, if something is wrong with the bearings in the spindle making it harder to turn, will that cause the flex shaft to vibrate and maybe cause the noise? I'm going back to the heat in the truck issue. I did tap it as suggested in case the tolerance rings moved. After I let it run again, which it wasn't even cutting, just going back over the part already carved, I stopped it to check things out and the truck was hot again.... so was that end of the flex shaft I learned the hard way. I just am finding it hard to believe I'm having so many problems with a machine that has been used so little. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

You could have a front bearing going bad in the drive motor.

Digitalwoodshop
11-27-2012, 12:16 PM
I got nothing....?

AL

dehrlich
11-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Spoke the hardware support today, says sounds like cut motor. Anyone got a used cut motor they want to sell me? Also, I found the part in the picture laying on the traction belt. Where did it come from? Machine ran just find without it, but I'm sure it's important for something.. numbers are

OPB375P11 then a symbol on second line and 0516. Sure it means I get to buy yet another part LOL.

ladjr
11-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Spoke the hardware support today, says sounds like cut motor. Anyone got a used cut motor they want to sell me? Also, I found the part in the picture laying on the traction belt. Where did it come from? Machine ran just find without it, but I'm sure it's important for something.. numbers are

OPB375P11 then a symbol on second line and 0516. Sure it means I get to buy yet another part LOL.

It is a little burry, but what are the two posts on the end, are they sodder points or ???

eelamb
11-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Wait for AL, but It looks like a sensor of some sort.

dehrlich
11-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Sorry, I tried several times and that was the best I could get. The ends look like wires that go into a circut board. Some kind of capacitor or something that go broken off. Guess when I take the cover off to get the cut motor out I will probably see where it goes. Maybe I can just super glue it back in place LOLOL just kidding

fwharris
11-28-2012, 08:03 PM
It looks like the old homing sensor from the Z truck. Look at the left side of the truck where the square hole is. Not used any more.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?15069-Unidentified-Loose-Part&highlight=homing+sensor

liquidguitars
11-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Floyd is right... BTW i keep the hood loose until you get a CT. "wink"

dehrlich
12-06-2012, 03:35 PM
So here we go again. Today I replaced the cut motor with a brand new one, brand new flex cable assy, removed the top hat from the spindle and cleaned out some excess grease. Everything seemed to go together fine, motor and spindle spin freely through the cable, bit is tight in the new QC chuck. When I fired it back up to test it, still have the same problem, sounds like a jack hammer and the cut quality is back to being crap. It was working ok, managed to carve a nice horse head with it last week. So now I'm wondering if it could be the truck/spindle or the chuck it's self (I know the advocates of the newer chucks will say that, and I plan to get a Rock chuck soon). One indicator is the truck seemed to be kind of warm after only running 2 minutes. Isn't going to take much more to have a brand new machine. BTW, this is a later generation A series machine with less than 20 hours on it. Thoughts? Suggestions?

bergerud
12-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Maybe you have lost the lower tolerance ring. This ring holds the bearing snugly in the truck. Without it, the spindle and bearing can wobble. (If you search "tolerance ring" you can find pictures of them posted.)

Digitalwoodshop
12-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Exactually... The Tolerance Ring or just a bad QC.... Worn and the bit is flopping..... I know you mentioned this but it is possible...

What does a TUG test tell you? Power un plugged, bit in machine, carefully pull the bit in all directions.... Back in the QC days many times we could feel the looseness....

Picture of the Tolerance Ring that is around the lower bearing.

SO all that checks out... We are back to a Mechanical problem.... Loose bearing, bad bearing.....

What does a 3 inch circle made into a .1 deep carve region show..? Do it and see... IF the circle pattern is bad then it's a mechanical problem... If good.... Pattern Problem with your artwork... RE Load the Artwork on your card.... Any chance it was cut in DRAFT mode?

AL

dehrlich
12-07-2012, 04:23 PM
I ordered a new Z truck this morning, hopefully it will get out today and I will have Monday. I know the QC isn't worn, holds tight. And yes, I ordered a new truck with a QC instead of the CT. Why? I don't have the money to buy all new bits right now for the CT. IF i can get through Christmas time, then I will order a Rock chuck. Seems from my research you have much more flexibility with bits you can use the the Rock. If this new truck doesn't fix it, then it is going to become a well equiped parts machine because I'm not putting any more money in it. I will save towards a new C machine... going to do that anyway. Also, one thing I did do was use a corded power drill with the correct size square bit in a bit adapter, put in the top of the spindle and spun as fast as the drill would go. It spun freely but I did hear a little bit of noise so I suspect the problem is there. Wish I had done that before buying a cut motor. Guess I got a spare now.

dehrlich
12-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Well as a follow up to this post, I installed a new Z truck this afternoon and ran a 20 minute carve... problem seems to be gone! Finally!! Now once I can get the chuck changed out to a Rock, I will basically have upgraded my machine. Question is, since the cut motor wasn't the problem, do I put the old one back in and try to return the new one? Will they let me return it since I installed and ran it a short time? I'm thinking I should just leave well enough alone and keep the old motor for a back up. At least I got it resolved. Plus side is I have learned more about repairing my machine in a month than most people probably learn in a year.

One note to LHR, you should revise the Z truck installation instructions a little to include a few things about the A machine not covered. First, you have to slide the finned cover on the Z truck motor back to get to one of the adjustment screws that must be loosened. Also, the homing electronics on the back of the Z truck are no longer needed and can be removed. I'm glad I called and didn't try to get that back in the new one. Just a thought.