PDA

View Full Version : Will not recognise the bit

sw123man
11-24-2012, 08:53 PM
I started my project and selected 1/8 cutting bit,it goes through the process but keeps coming back and asking for the same bit.Thinking that I had put the wrong one in I tried every bit to see if it would continue on but no luck.Anyone know whats going on?

chief2007
11-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Make sure the bit is making contact with the bit plate.

Also make sure that there is not a hole in the frame by the brass roller

fwharris
11-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Most likely cause is that the bit is not touching the bit plate during set up. With the CW off move the truck over by hand to insure free movement and that the bit plate will pop out easily. Give the bit plate spring a good shot of air to blow out the dust and then spray in some WD-40 into it. Blow it out again with a rag to catch the spray out. Also check to insure the wires from the cut motor are tucked back into the corner and are not hitting the back of the Z motor.

sw123man
11-25-2012, 01:51 PM
tried cleaning it of sawdust and made sure all the wires were attached but still will not recognise the bit.

fwharris
11-25-2012, 02:16 PM
tried cleaning it of sawdust and made sure all the wires were attached but still will not recognise the bit.

Does the bit/ztruck go down an touch the bit plate? Is the bit plate coming out all of the way so that the bit can touch it?

Is this at the start up sequence before the carving starts?

eelamb
11-25-2012, 02:29 PM
What chuck are you using, and is the bit extending from the chuck far enough to touch the bit plate?

sw123man
11-25-2012, 04:34 PM
I am using the carvetght bits and it is fully inserted just like all the other times I have used it.

eelamb
11-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Then we need the information Floyd asked for.
1) does the bit plate come out
2) do you see the bit touch the bit plate.
3) can you move the bit plate out easily
4) can you manually move the truck over to the bit plate, and manually move the bit down to the bit plate.

sw123man
11-25-2012, 05:20 PM
1) does the bit plate come out-yes it does
2) do you see the bit touch the bit plate.-yes it did
3) can you move the bit plate out easily-yes I can
4) can you manually move the truck over to the bit plate, and manually move the bit down to the bit plate.-yes I can
after doing all this I loaded a different pattern and tried it thistime it went through just like it was suspose to do.so hopefully the problem is solved.Thank everyone for the help without you guys I would be lost.

fwharris
11-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Good that it is working now, that is what we are here for. Does the new project call for the same bits?

sw123man
11-25-2012, 11:23 PM
yes it did,finished the project and it looks fine.

liquidguitars
11-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Just thinking, what version of the software you using?

sw123man
11-25-2012, 11:57 PM
i'm using the last updated version

chief2007
11-26-2012, 07:30 AM
4) can you manually move the truck over to the bit plate, and manually move the bit down to the bit plate.-yes I can
after doing all this I loaded a different pattern and tried it thistime it went through just like it was suspose to do.so hopefully the problem is solved.Thank everyone for the help without you guys I would be lost.

Clean your Y rails and check the y belt tensioner. Also How many hours are on your machine. If you are close to 250 - your Y gear box bearings most likely need changed.

Check this link for the maintenance requirements http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/maintenance/

Digitalwoodshop
11-26-2012, 09:09 AM
The #1 reason the machine tells you to load the bit even though it is already loaded is the Bit MISSING the Bit Flag. This can be caused by the Y not getting all the way to the Bit Flag due to the Wires or just dirty Y rails or Worn Gearbox Bearings. THIS is why watching EVERY Bit Change is SO Important. It is very possible that we have been chasing a bit missed the bit plate for 15 posts. The Trigger for the system is the Z Lowering below the EXPECTED depth WINDOW and NOT encountering the Bit Plate. This can also be caused by a bit loaded too short in the Rock Chuck but this is a CT so it takes the user depth error out of the equation.

The #2 reason is that when the bit does it's Bob down next to the Keyboard, it is EXPECTING to bump into the Plastic Holder for the BRASS ROLLER. As your Machine Ages, Especially as the Cut Motor Brushes get SHORTER.... The Cut Motor runs LONGER after loading the bit spin up and is STILL turning when it touches the Holder for the Brass Roller. It then DRILLS THROUGH the plastic and the next time you run a project the bit passes THROUGH the HOLE when it expected to BUMP into the Plastic and the only possible reason in the computers mind is my Owner FORGOT to load a Bit and I should remind him.....

Think like a Machine....

Good Luck.... You very likely never saw the bit MISS or there is a hole in the Brass Roller Holder. Even "I" got a drilled hole last month and it was fixed with a piece of plastic the thickness of a credit card and some double stick tape....

AL

sw123man
11-26-2012, 10:21 AM
I hope the machine not worn out,its five months old and with less than 30 hours carve time on it

chief2007
11-26-2012, 11:31 AM
I hope the machine not worn out,its five months old and with less than 30 hours carve time on it

Make sure the rails are clean, and check the screw on top of the y belt tensioner to make sure it is tight.

sw123man
11-26-2012, 11:35 AM
OK I wull do that-thanks

chief2007
11-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Do you use dust collection? If not makes sure the bearings on the y truck roll freely.

With the power off machine unplug you should be able to slide the truck back and forth with no resistance. If it feels like you are hitting bumps so to speak there is dust around the roller bearings.

Blow those out and keep the rails clean and you should be ok.

cfox
11-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Here's somthing that i just learned. Make sure your board isnt warped. If you try to use a board that is slighty warped it will not reconize the bit selected.

Just throwing it out there.