PDA

View Full Version : QC Removal tip

dehrlich
11-24-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm a new user with a barely used series A machine. The chuck got worn out because I failed to lub it I guess, or perhaps it was like that because the other guy didn't. Either way it had to be replaced, and because of cost I decided to just put on another QC. I read some of the comments and was dreading removing it, but it turned out not to be a big deal.

Now of course it didn't spin right off. I had to heat it, and I wasn't about to use a torch like some have, too dangerous. I don't have a sodering gun. What I do have is a small wood burning tool. It fit right up inside the chuck and after about 20 minutes the outside of the chuck was pretty hot to the touch. After some firm pressure with just the 3/8" wrench on the chuck tool and the flat wrench on the chuck it came loose. Maybe I was just lucky, but I wanted to share this in case it helps someone else out. Looking forward to getting back to creating after the blue threadlock sets. Now quit stalling, get out in the shop and make some sawdust!

Darren Ehrlich
D&M Woodworks
www.kansaswood.com (http://www.kansaswood.com)

Xblack
02-01-2013, 12:20 AM
When I removed my QC, I first removed the flexcable collar on top of the z-truck. The shaft with the square hole is right there -no need to wrench from underneath through the chuck.

henry1
02-01-2013, 05:31 AM
You need the square tool that fits on top from rock chuck and the tool wrench to take of the spindle chuck off

Xblack
02-10-2013, 02:51 AM
I had a piece of one of those screwdrivers with the hex base (near the handle) that had snapped from over-use. I used my angle grinder (careful not to overheat) to shape it into a long square taper -from about 2mm to about 6mm over about a 3" length. I used a 3/8" socket on the hex end to drive it.

The advantage of using a long square taper over the ~4mm square drive is that a taper is less likely to sheer. On a square drive bit the transition from 4mm to it's adjacent driving feature is a very large one, creating a very predictable sheer plane. On a long square taper, the 4.1mm contact section is reenforced by a ~4.11mm section which is in turn reenforced by a ~4.12 section, etc., etc. therefore much less likely to sheer.