PDA

View Full Version : Funny lines on my corian carvings

mrtaz
11-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Help!!! I hope there is a fellow carver that can tell me what happened. Long story short. I ran about 15 corian projects a few weeks ago and a few was of the eagle on the left, all came out great. Then I had to do about 6 wood
projects. So yesterday I needed to run this eagle again, so I up loaded it again from my desk where I had it saved from previous. Look at the right picture, what the heck happened. Them lines on there make it look like crap.
So I thought I did something wrong so I did another picture from previous, same result. So I've wasted about 5 pieces of corian. I'm hoping someone has seen this before and can tell me exactly what happened. The machine
sounded and ran the same, I did't notice any difference.

Thanks, Bill

fwharris
11-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Dull bit maybe?

AskBud
11-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Help!!! I hope there is a fellow carver that can tell me what happened. Long story short. I ran about 15 Corian projects a few weeks ago and a few was of the eagle on the left, all came out great. Then I had to do about 6 wood
projects. So yesterday I needed to run this eagle again, so I up loaded it again from my desk where I had it saved from previous. Look at the right picture, what the heck happened. Them lines on there make it look like crap.
So I thought I did something wrong so I did another picture from previous, same result. So I've wasted about 5 pieces of Corian. I'm hoping someone has seen this before and can tell me exactly what happened. The machine
sounded and ran the same, I did't notice any difference.

Thanks, Bill

5720557206My first question is, "Di you carve all the Corian on the Optimal setting, so the the bit takes smaller cuts with each Pass"? If not, the bit is bulling through the stock which will dull the bit faster.
AskBud

mrtaz
11-24-2012, 08:45 AM
I tried two brand new bits, unless carvewright sent me two dull bits. I always carve in optimal. I'm wondering if this is a vibration problem.
Like I said before a few weeks ago I ran the same ones, never changed anything other than re uploading them to the card and then running them like I always have.

Thanks, Bill

chief2007
11-24-2012, 09:44 AM
What type of chuck are you using ?

Check to make sure the z truck or the y truck is not loose as well

bergerud
11-24-2012, 10:20 AM
The first thing I would check is the z truck rollers. Do all the rollers roll freely? Are they adjusted too tight or gummed up with dust? (I assume you have a method of keeping the corian dust off of the rollers when carving.)

mrtaz
11-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Z truck is nice and clean, moves nice and free with no play. I have a custom vac that picks up almost all the dust, after each run I blow and vac with shop vac.

mrtaz
11-24-2012, 04:42 PM
I use the carve tight truck, and feels real smooth and with no play.

fwharris
11-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Another thing to look at is your Y gear box and bearings. See if you have any play in the shaft.

cestout
11-24-2012, 05:01 PM
If the rollers, especially the Y but the Z will do it to, are nit tight enough against the tracks, the truck wobbles enough to cause uneven carves. Use you 12mm flat wrench (LHR sells them for about $6 I think) to adjust them. The truck should roll easily and smoothly with absolutely no lateral movement.
Clint

Old Salt
11-24-2012, 05:06 PM
ck for dust in back of z motor

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2012, 01:05 PM
The machine has a Designed Feed Rate for Wood.... When Carving Corian we must be aware that Poor Quality can result from a dull bit and this excess pressure can lead to a Roller Bearing being forced loose or to TURN.... Remember that the Adjustable Roller Bearings have a hole drilled off set. The Face of the Nut closest to the drilled hole must be in the position AWAY from the Rail when the Bearing is in it's Fully closed Position... The Corian Pressure can cause the Bearing to ROTATE away from the fully closed or Top Dead Center and make for a Sloppy Carving... Grabbing the Bit with the Power OFF and carefully pulling in all directions can identify a loose bearing.

In the past I would mark the outside face with nail polish but it would flake off.... I now drill a slight hole in that face to make it easier to see.

AL

mrtaz
11-25-2012, 03:20 PM
I did try 2 different brand new bits, and also when the bit is in there and I grab it to see if there is any play there is absolutely no play. I did replace the cable, sheath and and the thing on top of the Z-truck the sheath snaps into probably about a month
ago. when I was checking things it seemed that the cable came out awful easy. So I am thinking of ordering them parts again along with a new Z-truck and motor, to see if it is a vibration problem that is traveling through the cable.

lynnfrwd
11-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Did you just re-upload the project? Or re-import the whole image? Quality of these two images is way off from one another. Can u post the mpc file?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrtaz
11-25-2012, 06:33 PM
I have the mpc file saved in a folder like I always do. Then when I need it I just re-upload them, I've never ran into a issue doing this.

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2012, 07:00 PM
On a different direction...

The Screws holding the Z Belt to the back of the Z Truck sometimes are loose..... letting the belt slip...

The Screws holding the Z Motor and Gearbox have been known to come loose...

A test of your system is in order..... Draw a Circle and make it a very shallow Carve Region and carve it into a board... Look for a perfect bottom... If problems with the Z it should show up....

AL

mrtaz
11-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Well well well I think it's working fine again, I ran one of the corian project that I was having problems with and came out great.

Here's all I can tell you, like I've said before is that the cable in the top of the Z truck seemed kinda funny. The cable and sheath were new about 20 carvings ago. All I did was took that cap off the Z truck and turned it 180 degrees and put everything
back together. Also blew with a air hose all around that truck. Ran a corian, came out good. My feeling is that it was that cable sheath and the cap that it snaps into, because I am always blowing and vacuming the machine out after each run. So I started another corain and we'll see here in an hour if I'm 2 for 2.