PDA

View Full Version : Close Door Alert

ONLY WINGE
11-23-2012, 03:49 PM
:( I have been trying to get rid of my close door message when I try to use my machine. I am at my end I have done everything LHR has told me to do, new switches , check connections, dust and all suggestions
from the forums.My carvewright has been down now for TWO months , I have now given up on help from LHR and at this point and I don't care about my warenty becouse it is doing me no good anyway. I would like to know if someone can tell me how to buy pass or hot wire the two door switches so I can use my carvewright "C". PLEASE ANYONE HELP!!! Jim

fwharris
11-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Frustrating as we know WHAT!

Can you get it to read closed by pressing in on the switch plunger with out the cover being closed?

With the cover closed and on the cover sensor check screen, reach in the top slot and press on the key board side switch to see if you can get it to change to closed. If so the switch might be out of alignment with the clear cover tabs. There is a small amount of adjustment in lining up the switch to the cover.

ladjr
11-23-2012, 05:31 PM
The only thing I do to start is check the witches with a meter to make sure they work.

ONLY WINGE
11-23-2012, 05:31 PM
I have tried to press just the switches and nothing changes.

unitedcases
11-23-2012, 05:34 PM
This is bad advice but if you want to bypass to check then just unscrew the switch and take the two wires and put them together. If it works then you know where your problem lies.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

chief2007
11-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Could be the circuit board that the wiring harness connects into.

Did you do a continuity check on the wiring harness itself

henry1
11-23-2012, 06:14 PM
have to agree with unitedcase worth a try

Digitalwoodshop
11-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Back to Basics... The Bundle of Wires from the Switch, when you plug the plug IN, "IS" the White Wire in the bundle of Black Wires facing the "CENTER" of the machine? I know this because once I pushed it in 180 degrees out and all I got was Open Cover 100% of the Time.

Check that....

NEXT... I got Constant Open Cover many years ago because I had pulled down the Board Sensor Wire and it slid along the Sharp edge and shorted one of the wires to ground. This caused a few things.... A Zero reading on the Board Sensor, and a 0000 for Z Data never changing, AND..... A Constant Open Cover.... All this due to a shorted wire to ground....

A QUICK CHECK... UN PLUG the Board Sensor Cable ON TOP... Does the Close cover FIX?

Good Luck,

AL

brdad
11-23-2012, 10:39 PM
I never had a lot of issues outside of some random cover errors and having to take apart the switch on the keypad side and clear out sawdust. But I've bypassed both of my cover switches anyway. I removed the cut motor switch altogether, which makes removing the top cover much easier and eliminates issues with the switch wires interfering with truck movement. The keypad side switch I soldered a short jumper on the appropriate pads on the circuit board. Have not had any issue since.

I'm a big boy, few or none of the guards on my other power tools shut the tool down when I need to move them out of the way, I'm left to be responsible for my own safety. But do what you need to do to maintain your own required level of safety.

badbert
11-23-2012, 11:11 PM
All of the sensors (including keypad side cover switch) use reference voltage from the power supply. If one sensor shorts to ground, all sensors fail. Close cover is the first error, that will be displayed. My short to ground was the 14 pin FFC ribbon cable was not seated firmly in the Z-Motor. It was inserted on an angle, shorting two pins together.

mercer57
11-24-2012, 01:31 AM
By-pass the micro switches is what i did, no issues since. micro switches on the cover are useless anyway.

henry1
11-24-2012, 05:19 AM
By-pass the micro switches is what i did, no issues since. micro switches on the cover are useless anyway.
Don't forget when you do that bypass and when you lift cover your bit will still be running real slow

Digitalwoodshop
11-24-2012, 12:43 PM
For the New Users since bypassing Safety Switches has been posted by a few. I don't want anyone NEW to get the impression that it is OK to do. As the Members posted above they have bypassed the switches and are fully aware of the safety procedures that must be used with bypassed switches and are big boys so I am OK with that.

For the new guys, the Left Side Switch closest to the keypad is a micro small switch and talks to the Computer and when opened tells the computer that the cover is open and the computer stops the machine. Pressing Stop ONCE would do the same thing. Pressing Stop TWICE will END the Project...

The Right Side Switch is a heavy switch that is wired into the return path of the Cut Motor. So the black wire from the X Termination Board Under the Machine gets it's power 115 VAC from the Q1 Transistor or TRIAC on that board and is the Electronic ON OFF Switch for the Motor. This Black Wire or HOT Wire connects to the Black Wire of Cut Motor and makes it turn. The White Wire of the Cut Motor is the Return Path and connects to EITHER Wire of the Right Side Safety Switch and back to the White Wire of the X Termination Board.

SO if you bypass the Left Micro Switch and open the cover the Computer will not know you did. IF the Cut Motor is running and the Cut Motor Safety Switch is hooked up, the Cut Motor will STOP BUT the Computer will keep on cutting and jam as the bit stops turning.

IF in the same condition BOTH switches are bypassed then nothing will happen when the cover is opened. BUT this computer will keep cutting or be in a condition that it can start cutting.

So lets say both switches are bypassed and you get to a Bit Change. The Machine will wait for you to change the bit and NOT give the order to start the Cut Motor OR Start Carving UNTIL you push ENTER.... So your Good...

There is a slight problem... Remember that Q1 Transistor.... That gets it's Signal from the Computer to start the Cut Motor from the Computer through some Optical Coupler Chips. A LED inside a 6 pin Chip and a Photo Detector turning on a Transistor inside the 6 pin chip and that transistor in turn turning on the Q1 Transistor and starting the Cut Motor.

Back in 2008 I had the First of 3 Failures of 4 machines where the C1 Capacitor was being vibrated by Bad QC's that I was using long after they were worn and the high speed vibration snapped everything from the L2 Coil in the Power Supply, LED's in the Board Sensor, and the C1 on the X Termination Board. The C1 is part of the Q1 Transistor Circuit that turns on and off the Cut Motor....

So I go into the Shop one day and turn on the machine with a card in the slot. I happened to move the machine making a slight Thump and the Cut Motor came on.... All by itself.... Then Stopped.... I was Intreged.... I opened the cover and I hear a Click and when I closed the cover the Cut Motor came on again... I then found with the cover closed, IF I took my fist and thumped on the top of the machine on the right side of the keyboard. Every Thump and the Cut Motor would spin up then stop....

I traced the problem to the C1 Capacitor had snapped off one side due to QC Vibration and the Thumping would make the Capacitor touch the broken wire and at that time the Cut Motor would turn on.....

SO the problem if you bypass the RIGHT side Cover Switch that is the Return Path to the Cut Motor and YOUR C1 Capacitor snaps off one side and as you have your Wrench and fingers on the Cutting Bit inside the Machine and make a THUMP the Cut Motor could come on by Accident.... Not Good.... So that folks is why I want the NEW GUYS to know the RESPONSIBILITY you take on when you bypass the switches.

Like I said... I have 4 machines and used them VERY HEAVY in the Early Years and had 3 C1's Snap Off.... You can find my 2008 posts by looking at the DATE on the Pictures.

I am a little sensitive to Safety... While working at the Sony Picture Tube Plant in San Diego in 95 after Retirement from the Navy I worked as a Maintenance Mechanic. As part of out classroom training on cleaning and Lubrication 5 Seasoned Maintenance Mechanics visited our classroom the last day. They all wore Heavy leather Gloves.... One by one they went to the front of the class and told their stories of doing Maintenance on the equipment the day they got caught in the Equipment.... One by one they removed their Gloves reveling MISSING FINGERS.... 4 lost fingers trying to save time by lubricating a Chain Drive while it was running and RAGS caught and dragged their fingers into the Chain.... I NEVER Forgot that..... Another girl transfered from the 32 inch TV Assembly Department in our building when it moved to Mexico. She had 15 years with Sony.... She saw a Robot Stop because a part did not load properly. She had been taught to call the Maintenance Guy to stop the Equipment and fix the problem.... She wanted to SAVE SONY time so when it happened... She was THIN and slipped between the WALL and the SAFETY CAGE and entered the Robot Area with all the POWER ON... She fixed the part and the Robot then Moved to pick up the part.... She was in the WAY..... She will never walk again.... I have told both stories about once a year.... I think it is important so the NEW Guys have the Knowledge about safety.

AL

henry1
11-24-2012, 01:13 PM
AL that a nice statment you are saying and so true I am still learning and I am big on safety I work in a paper mill as a mechanic and safety came first and was teaching class on safety
Henry

lynnfrwd
11-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Note: if your machine comes in with safety switches bypassed, we will not send it back to you that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Sometimes we need to throw caution into the wind... In many cars of the late 70's and 80's with Automatic transmissions if you as a owner wanted to check the level of the transmission Fluid you would need to do it with the Engine Running.... I remember the first time I did this in the late 70's and the Quality of the Average Spark Plug Wire was not up to todays standards and I got "BIT" or Shocked by a Leaky High Voltage Spark Plug Wire grabbing the Transmission Dip Stick... Ouch !!!!

And that is correct, that LHR could never let a machine leave the Shop with a bypassed Safety Switch...

AL