PDA

View Full Version : sometimes a slow moving x axis

CarverJerry
11-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Every once in a while I'm measuring a board my x axis will move really slow like it is in a bind. It is not as I've checked it and I can get a quarter on the adjustable slide, my head pressure is at 82 pounds. The machine isn't cold and it doesn't always happen, once it moves to the first end going slow and finds the end then it rapids to the other end which it then starts slow then will keep going faster and faster till it reaches it's normal speed. After that it seems like everything is on and carves with no problems. I've checked my sandpaper belts, the machine is spotless inside. I just can't figure this one out as it doesn't happen but once in a while. Has anyone else experienced this happening on their machine? Is this something I should be worried about. Thanks in advance. Hope everyone had a Great Happy Thanksgiving.

mtylerfl
11-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Every once in a while I'm measuring a board my x axis will move really slow like it is in a bind. It is not as I've checked it and I can get a quarter on the adjustable slide, my head pressure is at 82 pounds. The machine isn't cold and it doesn't always happen, once it moves to the first end going slow and finds the end then it rapids to the other end which it then starts slow then will keep going faster and faster till it reaches it's normal speed. After that it seems like everything is on and carves with no problems. I've checked my sandpaper belts, the machine is spotless inside. I just can't figure this one out as it doesn't happen but once in a while. Has anyone else experienced this happening on their machine? Is this something I should be worried about. Thanks in advance. Hope everyone had a Great Happy Thanksgiving.

I've seen this, but it has not been a problem for me. I seem to recall it's most common on two-sided projects...after the board is flipped over and is remeasured on the topside.

Digitalwoodshop
11-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Sounds to me like the sand paper belt is rolled under.... They are "Elusive" and very hard to see... I have had to cut a strip off the belt on the brass roller side to see it and monitor the belt drift. It is "MY" opinion that I see more Belt Drift when I am cutting lots of 6 inch wide stock... When I cut 12 inch wide stock I see it less... IF you remove a old belt you can feel the difference in the first 6 inches as it has a looser more worn feel.... I believe the slight stretching of the belt making it more tapered causes the drifting and rolling under... I have seen Dozens of rolled under belts on the one under the Cut Motor and only one on the other one.

Just another WAG... Wild AL Guess...

AL

bergerud
11-23-2012, 02:31 PM
I have experienced this also. I always thought that something was too "tight" and the x motor was under too much load. I am not sure if that is true. I have, however, not had it happen much since I freed up the sand paper rollers bearings. They were gummed up with fine dust from my early days before I started dust collection. I cannot say this was the cause but it may be worth checking. (With the x gear cover off, roll the big gear by hand to check for resistance.)

RMarkey
11-23-2012, 05:58 PM
There's two potential things happening here

1. Tracking roller slipped. X-axis and tracking roller drifts off, now X axis has to correct.

2. Has to do with PID settings for X. I won't go into details, but its perfectly normal.

...and make sure you do your black Friday shopping online at http://store.carvewright.com :)

eastcutty
11-23-2012, 06:41 PM
I also notice the increased tendency to drift with narrower boards, when you remove the roller/belt assemblies to address discovered roll-over, turn the belt around so that the far end is now the near to balance out any possible belt stretch, if any. While doing this, I spray down the upper surface of the belt plate(s) with silicone then LET DRY COMPLETELY. This seems to work great to help cut down on belt/plate friction. Take advantage of the opportunity to inspect the rollers and their bearings
As for dust collection, I do it the other way around- I blow it out by ducting the cutting motor cooling fan thru a 1"ID latex tube and up top the other end of the tube blows down onto the workpiece thru the flexshaft slot. A spare vacuum cleaner hose would work, too. Comes in handy to continuously blow the vast majority of sawdust out of the machine while it's running without additional noise or power consumption. I have the machine elevated on 1" wood strips under the feet to allow blow-thru of dust down and away under the machine thru the center belt gap as well as the board-thick gap between the drivebelts and the compression rollers. You can even steer the airstream to focus it where/when needed.
I also use the same hose, since it has a soft flexible tip, to vacuum out the lower wells at the front and back ends.
The rest I get with a footpump/hose/nozzle setup I threw together.
Let the sweeping ensue!

DickB
11-23-2012, 07:04 PM
As for dust collection, I do it the other way around- I blow it out by ducting the cutting motor cooling fan thru a 1"ID latex tube and up top the other end of the tube blows down onto the workpiece thru the flexshaft slot. A spare vacuum cleaner hose would work, too. Comes in handy to continuously blow the vast majority of sawdust out of the machine while it's running without additional noise or power consumption. I have the machine elevated on 1" wood strips under the feet to allow blow-thru of dust down and away under the machine thru the center belt gap as well as the board-thick gap between the drivebelts and the compression rollers. You can even steer the airstream to focus it where/when needed.
If it works for you, great, but my concern is with blowing fine dust around in the machine and into the gears, bearings, board sensor, and optical sensors. Even if you direct the airflow, there are bound to be eddy currents that will be blowing fine dust into those sensitive areas. For my money, a vacuum dust collection is best to get rid of the very fine dust particles. I don't worry about larger sawdust, shavings, and chips, as I don't beleive that they do any real harm.

fwharris
11-23-2012, 07:09 PM
If it works for you, great, but my concern is with blowing fine dust around in the machine and into the gears, bearings, board sensor, and optical sensors. Even if you direct the airflow, there are bound to be eddy currents that will be blowing fine dust into those sensitive areas. For my money, a vacuum dust collection is best to get rid of the very fine dust particles. I don't worry about larger sawdust, shavings, and chips, as I don't beleive that they do any real harm.

In total agreement!!!

liquidguitars
11-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Happens to me two.... sometimes i think it how the edge raster is compiled, or even a flaky power connection.

CarverJerry
11-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Michael, you may be on to something, this last project was double sided and I got the slow X axis movement. I will now keep an eye on this double sided vs single sided projects and see if you hit the nail on the head. Thanks for all the input guys. I'll report my findings.

mtylerfl
11-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Michael, you may be on to something, this last project was double sided and I got the slow X axis movement. I will now keep an eye on this double sided vs single sided projects and see if you hit the nail on the head. Thanks for all the input guys. I'll report my findings.

Yes, I believe it is normal for the slow movement when doing 2-sided projects. I just think of it as the machine "being careful" to get an accurate measurement.