PDA

View Full Version : Complete Newbie

Carl H
11-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Tomorrow is a big day for me I pick up my CW from the border! I live in Canada so it cant be shipped direct.
My demo software expired on the weekend but I did get the hang of the basics.

The lion logo reminded me of a beer logo. Lowenbrau.
I have always wanted a beer keg for a bar. I guess I will have one before I actually own a bar.
The project isnt really the logo but it looks close enough for a fun project.

I drew the keg with a desktop publishing program called Serif PagePlus. I may need to experiment with the shades in order to master the depths of carving.

I hope you find it useful and I would appreciate any suggestions that will help me improve future projects.

lawrence
11-21-2012, 11:17 PM
nicely done- and welcome!

Great looking carve and I only have a couple of suggestions - highlight each item and experiment with the "bit optimization" tabs. I think you'll find that "bit optimization best" looks very good for your carve. (edit) This takes the ball of the bit into consideration which often makes the carve look better.

Also, your pieces are "floating" - if you place all your pieces to the full depth (.75) and then use your height to raise the lettering/lion, you'll have better control over how high they stand out of the carve. I've attached an example of what I mean.

Excellent work alltogether though- we're here to answer questions for you after you get your machine- it appears your programming is already well on the way as that is a great looking carve- please post pics once youve made it!

Lawrence

ladjr
11-22-2012, 02:55 AM
Welcome I hope you have as much enjoyment as I do

Leo
Life is to short carve something today

henry1
11-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Tomorrow is a big day for me I pick up my CW from the border! I live in Canada so it cant be shipped direct.
My demo software expired on the weekend but I did get the hang of the basics.

The lion logo reminded me of a beer logo. Lowenbrau.
I have always wanted a beer keg for a bar. I guess I will have one before I actually own a bar.
The project isnt really the logo but it looks close enough for a fun project.

I drew the keg with a desktop publishing program called Serif PagePlus. I may need to experiment with the shades in order to master the depths of carving.

I hope you find it useful and I would appreciate any suggestions that will help me improve future projects.
Were are you in Canada I am in ontario Canada

lawrence
11-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Just a quick edit- in my original post I said that "This takes the 7degree taper of the bit into consideration." which is incorrect- Bit optimization takes the tip of the bit (rounded 1/16) into consideration not the 7 degree taper. The effect is the same in that it makes many raster carves turn out better. Thank you to the member here that corrected me (very diplomatically by pm) Because of his correction I learned something new today too!

Welcome again, and I'm glad I could clear up my description to make it correct -

Lawrence

Carl H
11-22-2012, 07:26 PM
thanks for the responses.
I drove to the States today, foolishly forgetting it was Thanksgiving. Oh well it is just a half hour drive.
I will get the machine on Saturday.

ladjr
11-22-2012, 09:07 PM
You may want to call if it is a business where you are going to pick it up.

Carl H
11-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Good plan, they are closed till Monday, Now that is a source of frustration. So close yet so far.
Even more frustrating that the software has expired, I cant even make or modify any designs.