PDA

View Full Version : Coming back to my Carvewright.

Kix
11-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Hi All, Havent been on at all the last 2 years. My CW gave me an error code and I couldnt figure it out, got frustrated and just let it sit in the garage. I have 1 corporate sales job and 3 to 4 part time jobs at any given time. Throw in a wife and kids, one with special needs, and you can see how understand how easy it was to stay away from my CW. My CW is an old style, I guess a "B", it has the qr chuck and paper belts. I would be surprised if I have 40 hours on the unit. It has always been very tempermental.

I guess I am wondering what to do with it now. I spent some $2500 on it when I bought it. I have the full bit set, barely used, most of the bits still have the wax coating on them. Also have the scanning probe, centerline text, and Floyd's DC insert.

I would like to send it to CW to repair/upgrade the belts and install the new spindle, I think. I also would like to start using the damn thing, it's too big for a paperweight.
What has your experience been with the upgrades and the repairs?

I guess I am looking for some advice from you guys on what your experience has been trying to maintain these things over the past couple of years, I see some people I recognize and am sure there are a bunch of new folks since I left. The forum keeps throwing me 404 errors when I go to look at various FAQ's and whatnot, so I figured I would just post up and see what happened.

Do we have a list yet of the error codes and what they are and how to fix? Thats all I really need I suppose to get started.

That and maybe a kick in the pants.

Good to see all of you, hope the world has been kind.
Kix.

chief2007
11-20-2012, 02:44 PM
First Welcome back,

Second My book says with the help of the folks here, we can get you up and running. I say start fresh at this point.

Update to the newest firmware, load a project and then, try out the machine and see what codes it throws. Then we can see how to help you out.

Most of the Error codes are generic in nature, so to speak - knowing what the machine isn't doing is the best way to get help.

Here is the link to the error codes

http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/troubleshooting-guide/troubleshooting-the-carvewright/#consolidated_error_codes

fwharris
11-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Kix,

Welcome back!!!! CarveWright had made some major changes to their web site and your links are probably no good any more. Here is the new link http://www.carvewright.com/

Chief is correct in know what the machine was doing during the time that you got the actual error message will help in determining what your problems might be.

Getting the CarveTight upgrade is a good choice. A lot less machine problems and better carve quality! If you do send it to CarveWright for the upgrades they will also do a good look over it and recalibrate it.

cestout
11-20-2012, 05:20 PM
I agree that the CT spindel upgrade should be your first upgrade, but is cost is an issue and you are at all mechanical, you can do both upgrades yourself - they come with instructions and we can help you. Software wise, I would recomend getting Conforming Vectore for about $50 to make yur Centerline and other vector carves better. If money isn't an issue, by all means, have CarveWright upgrade it and check it out. I have the Heavy Duty (rubber) belts on both my B and C machines. I think they track better and are easier to keep clean.
Clint