PDA

View Full Version : cut motor

aokweld101
11-18-2012, 09:49 AM
I had changed the bushes in the cut motor because the cut motor stop working, before i started my carve after I put the bushes in I did my censor check and cut motor turn on and things seemed fine I started my carve and everthing was ok up to the point when the cut motor was to start it wanted to drag the bit without starting the cut motor I am new at the carvewight.. any info would be a help.. thank you

AskBud
11-18-2012, 10:01 AM
I had changed the bushes in the cut motor because the cut motor stop working, before i started my carve after I put the bushes in I did my censor check and cut motor turn on and things seemed fine I started my carve and everthing was ok up to the point when the cut motor was to start it wanted to drag the bit without starting the cut motor I am new at the carvewight.. any info would be a help.. thank youCall LHR, on Monday. It may be a wirine problem.
AskBud

chief2007
11-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Check the cut motor switch - chances are when you closed the lid, the switch didn't close. Also make sure the wiring for the motor didn't pull loose on you

Digitalwoodshop
11-18-2012, 12:18 PM
In the process of removing the top cover and changing the brushes and putting it all back together I bet the Wires from the Cut Motor were not tucked back into the back corner and a wire caught the Cooling Fins of the Z Motor and pulled to the point that the wire came un plugged....

OR like posted above... The Right Side Clear Cover Switch is not working.... When you remove the top cover and move it around the clear cover is not supported with a mechanical stop and can "REST" on the 2 cover switches.... THIS can DAMAGE the switches or snap the screw mounting holes and the switch moves back OR the clear cover "TANG" that pushes the Switch SNAPS OFF....

Good Luck,

AL

CarverJerry
11-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Since this thread is called "cut motor" I have a question. I've seen something here on the forum before about this problem but thought by now LHR would have figured out how to fix it. While doing centerline text my machine stops, not all the time just once in a while and usually only once during a project. It says check cut motor, I hit enter to continue and it finishes the project with no problems. I just updated my software about a month ago. Does anyone know what is going on here when this happens?

AskBud
11-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Since this thread is called "cut motor" I have a question. I've seen something here on the forum before about this problem but thought by now LHR would have figured out how to fix it. While doing centerline text my machine stops, not all the time just once in a while and usually only once during a project. It says check cut motor, I hit enter to continue and it finishes the project with no problems. I just updated my software about a month ago. Does anyone know what is going on here when this happens?This error is usually nothing to worry about. It happens mostly on the old Quick Change Chuck, The machine is monitoring the spin speed of the cut motor. Sometimes the pressure Resistance of the V-bit changes, and the motor goes faster or slower. Do just as have been doing and just press ENTER again. Only if it does it lots of times on one particular carve should be concerned.
AskBud

peep
07-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Boy am I having to do maintenance on my new C model. Have about 21 hours on it now. the motor stopped spinning during a carve. So all looked good and inserted anather board. Worked for 3 minutes and got a check cut motor.

Took the machine bottom off and checked all connections, cleaned. Looks good.
-powered on and tried the board, but it just dragged the bit across the board with no error. Was no spinning.
-tried the cut motor test and it said it was running, but the bit is not turning.
-checked cable several times and it spins fine and you can see the motor turning when I move the bit by hand.
-checked cover switch with meter, shorts fine when closed.
-took off top and cleaned any thing that I could.
-same problem. When I do a cut motor test it just does nothing, and says it is turning. No errors.
-I have not re-seated any jacks on the back board as they look epoxied in place.

Any ideas?

peep
07-20-2013, 11:56 AM
One more thing. sometimes I hear a very faint high pitched wine. I heard it when I ran the test.

Digitalwoodshop
07-20-2013, 12:01 PM
WOW... Old thread... tuff seeing Ask Bud post...

Put a project in and once it starts cutting open the cover and remove the bit. That will let you troubleshoot without the bit jamming.

Once running without the bit, pull the cover at the right side cover switch to see if it is cover loose or the switch loose letting it open.

After that then I would inspect the Wires from the switch. They have push on connectors that have been known to loosen.

AL

peep
07-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Ran the carve, its dragging the bit, so opened the cover, it stopped. Removed the bit and pressed enter (after re closing the cover). Its acting like it is carving, but not spinning. I assume the switch is fine since it stopped when the cover is opened. Cleaned and re-seated the switch and two connections to the cut head.

Same problem. Now what?

dbfletcher
07-20-2013, 12:26 PM
There are two microswitches on the cover. One alerts the machine the cover is open, and the other cut power to the motor itself. Make sure the other switch has all the wires connected and it is ok. The motor will be have exactly as you describe if one of the wires gets pulled off that switch.

fwharris
07-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Possible cause is the X termination board. Look to see if there are any darkened components..

peep
07-20-2013, 12:59 PM
-took off both switches and cleaned where I could. They already were clean. everything looks good. reseated both cables ok (two wires to the cut motor and jack to the Head Termination Electronics Board Assembly??).
-ran project again and same problem. All so could hear both switches click.

Stumped!

Digitalwoodshop
07-20-2013, 01:29 PM
A look at the X Termination board is in order and checking the terminals for proper crimp as posted above.

With that check complete, I would try the 1/2 split method.... You need to separate weather the problem is in the Actual Cut Motor or it is in everything leading up to it...

In my Electronic days I had Alligator Clips that has a very sharp pin that would puncture the wire insulation letting me monitor the voltage to a Cut Motor while the wires were properly connected. With a setup like this, if the Cut Motor Stopped and you still had voltage then you know it is the Cut Motor that is BAD. I had liquid electrical tape to seal the wire puncture after I was done. THIS is a RISKY procedure and is done at your own risk. Be Careful... but it would be the fastest way to troubleshoot this. Same trick no bit...

OR if you could find the SAME Push On connectors a IN LINE monitor could be made... Considering the Hours, IF I were to GUESS, my bet is that his is a BAD MOTOR... A Crimp Connection inside the motor is loose OR the brushes are hanging up.

AL

peep
07-20-2013, 02:55 PM
removed cleaned and re-inserted all jacks on the:
Head Termination Electronics Board Assembly
X Termination Electronics BoardTheir was no visible heating of the components. All jack pins seemed to be OK. Also re-seated the 3 pin connector to the cut motor.
Still at a loss

fwharris
07-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Guessing you do not have your other machine down there with you???

I have seen your symptoms on a couple machines. One had a bad X board and the other is was the on board computer.

peep
07-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Yes I do, my very old A model.
-removed the x termination electronics board from my A model.
-inspected and compared both boards. They appear identical as do the components and resistor values.
-installed the A model x termination electronics board and ran test in my new C model.
All 0,8 test pass, but the cutting board. Says its running but the bit does not spin. It is not giving an error.
-re-installed original C model x termination electronics board. Re-ran the test and everything is the same. Measures the board fine, Z,X and y pass, but bit does not turn when carving a board or in cut motor test.
:(

peep
07-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Is their an electrical schematic of the CarveWright?

fwharris
07-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Good you have your other machine. Next step I would swap out the computer module.

Also make sure the banana plugs at the cut motor are crimped tight to the wires..

No I am not aware of any schematics.

fwharris
07-20-2013, 05:07 PM
One thought just hit me. By any chance is the clear cover resting on the DC-INSERT? Or do you have plenty clearance so that it does not?

peep
07-20-2013, 07:30 PM
I have the DC insert removed during testing. I can not use the computer module, because that is what is wrong with my A model.

fwharris
07-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Well that does not help you out at all. Dang it!!

Digitalwoodshop
07-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Swap the Cut Motor... I bet that is it... If you search you will find a few low hour "C" units that had Cut Motors go bad.

AL

KeystoneChuck
07-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Since this thread is called "cut motor" I have a question. I've seen something here on the forum before about this problem but thought by now LHR would have figured out how to fix it. While doing centerline text my machine stops, not all the time just once in a while and usually only once during a project. It says check cut motor, I hit enter to continue and it finishes the project with no problems. I just updated my software about a month ago. Does anyone know what is going on here when this happens?
I get the same thing with the centerline text function. I thougt it was "normal" because it happens on just about all of my text carvings.

peep
07-21-2013, 09:10 AM
I must admit, I am a little bit reluctant to swap the cut motors between the C and A models. Is that not a major job that could make lots of things go wrong? How big and long of a job is that?
No other easy ideas to check?

55president
07-21-2013, 09:13 AM
What is the normal life of a cut motor? with regular brush changes every 250 hrs or so?

unitedcases
07-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Mine made it about 1300 hrs before I changed it out. That was with regular brush changes.

fwharris
07-21-2013, 11:48 AM
I must admit, I am a little bit reluctant to swap the cut motors between the C and A models. Is that not a major job that could make lots of things go wrong? How big and long of a job is that?
No other easy ideas to check?

No it really is not a major job to swap out motors. There is 3 screws that hold the motor to the frame, disconnect/remove the flex shaft from the motor (for testing purposes I would leave the flex shaft and core disconnected from the motor) and the wire connections to the motor.

One other thing you could do to test the cut motor is to make up a testing lead to go directly to the motor. An extension cord with the end receptacle cut of so you can plug the wires into the two barrel connectors is what I used. Just make sure you leave the cut motor attached to the machine and slide the flex core out of the motor.

When I was trouble shooting the machine I was working on I actually made up some test leads so that I could check/test the circuit from the X board through the cover switch up to the motor. It took finding small connectors to make the connections to the wire leads.

lynnfrwd
07-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Not HW tech, but I thought a bad xterm could mess up the motor. So if the issue is the xterm are you risking messing up a second motor?

peep
07-21-2013, 01:12 PM
fwharris,

Are you saying that the cut motor runs on straight 120ac from the wall outlet. If so I can test that very fast, just want to be sure first. I have a meter, test clips etc...

fwharris
07-21-2013, 02:07 PM
fwharris,

Are you saying that the cut motor runs on straight 120ac from the wall outlet. If so I can test that very fast, just want to be sure first. I have a meter, test clips etc...

Yes it is 120 Volts to the cut motor.. Since you have a meter you can also check the output of the X board to the cut motor, the 2 connector plug on the X board that the wires from the cut motor plug into.

peep
07-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Well took a break last night, but back add it now.
I ran 120ac to the cut motor and nothing. Just quiet. I varified with a meter that the power was on the cut motor input leads.
I opened up my old A model and ran 120ac to the cut motor. It spun beautifully.

So I think my cut motor is gone. I double checked my hours and I have 43H 33Min on the machine.

Is thier something else I should do, or just phone LHR. Also do I have to wait till they fix mine and send it back, or do we just mail each other a cut motor?

Lastly.......I do not want to void any warranty. Do I move my cut motor over from my A model?

bergerud
07-22-2013, 12:49 PM
With so few hours on the motor, I would guess a clip or a wire is off inside. You could switch motors and send the bad one in.

I would take it apart and maybe be able to fix it. There are little clips which can come off the brush holders which would be an easy fix.

chief2007
07-22-2013, 01:18 PM
If your machine is under warranty, You should contact LHR about it. Most likely they will ship you another motor AFTER they run through the troubleshooting and testing procedures and determine this is the problem. This is a requirement for them to document everything with the problem.

lynnfrwd
07-22-2013, 02:25 PM
I get the same thing with the centerline text function. I thougt it was "normal" because it happens on just about all of my text carvings.

The speed of the cut motor is sped up for doing centerline, so that it doesn't burn the wood. If for some reason it cannot reach that speed, it will give you the "check cut motor" message. (May be an issue with the cut motor not going fast enough or a dull bit slowing it down.) If you say continue, it won't give you the message again, until the machine has been turned off and then back on.

peep
07-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks Connie. This happened over the weekend so I did some testing of my own. I am a Computer Engineer (hardware) so I have a fully equipped shop.

I tested the input power to the cut motor and it was thier, but the motor is silent. It justed stopped durange a carve. It gives no errors and caries on the carve but does not spin. Doing the 0,8 Cut Motor test, it says its running but it is not. I installed my cut motor from my A model into my new C model and everything works fine.
On the bench I applied 120ac to the cut motor and nothing happens.
I opened it up here, but everything seems fine.
I think I would like to change it unless someone knows what it might be.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn111/Peep_2008/IMG_0192_zps9d148e55.jpg (http://s302.photobucket.com/user/Peep_2008/media/IMG_0192_zps9d148e55.jpg.html)

CNC Carver
07-22-2013, 03:09 PM
63681Peep not sure but in your pic it looks like the black wire going to the brush has a bear spot or could just be saw dust. Hard to tell sorry.

bergerud
07-22-2013, 03:15 PM
There must be a physical broken connection somewhere between the brushes and the field. (Those little wires on the brushes themselves?)

brdad
07-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Have you tried applying line voltage to the motor out of the machine?
Check continuity of the connections and windings?
I can't remember if this motor has a thermal fuse...

peep
07-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Yes, tested on bench with 120vac applied. Nothing, no sound. It was dust on the wire. Checked that 120ac was getting to the internal clips. Have not gone further. Not willing to remove the other one and compare readings. My guess is that the coil must be open. A short would only reduce the power of the motor.