PDA

View Full Version : struggling with the program!

cfox
11-18-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm new at this and I'm struggling with learning the program.

I have designed a few signs and plaques and signs and the look just the way I want them on the computer. Then when I carve them I just am not getting the quality carve I'm looking for. For example one piece will be really good then where I add a fillet to it it barely carves it and its so thin its extremely brittle!

Is there a better way than junking a ton of lumber trying and adjusting?
I'm starting to get frustrated! The machine works great with the pre loaded patterns so its not the machine! Its something I'm doing wrong!

Thanks
Chad

AskBud
11-18-2012, 09:59 AM

I have designed a few signs and plaques and signs and the look just the way I want them on the computer. Then when I carve them I just am not getting the quality carve I'm looking for. For example one piece will be really good then where I add a fillet to it it barely carves it and its so thin its extremely brittle!

I'm starting to get frustrated! The machine works great with the pre loaded patterns so its not the machine! Its something I'm doing wrong!

Thanks
ChadHave you started by doing the practice sessions that LHR has on the site? With the new pages, I'm trying to find the link.
AskBud

lynnfrwd
11-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Support>tutorials>software>project designer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AskBud
11-18-2012, 10:11 AM
http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/software-tutorials/project-designer/
AskBud

fwharris
11-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Have you checked the STARTU section on the CW site or the Carveaholics "find a memeber close to you" here on the forum to find a member close to you???

DickB
11-18-2012, 01:00 PM
If you could post a few pictures of your unsatisfactory results, it would help.

mtylerfl
11-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Absolutely nothing to look at or check...no mpc project files...no photos = really hard to offer help (even though we really would like to!). Please upload 'sumthun'. ;)

cfox
11-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Have you checked the STARTU section on the CW site or the Carveaholics "find a memeber close to you" here on the forum to find a member close to you???

No there is no one in my area or my state!!! I will try to up load a picture of it.

cfox
11-18-2012, 02:42 PM

This is the way it looks on my computer.

AskBud
11-18-2012, 02:51 PM
No there is no one in my area or my state!!! I will try to up load a picture of it.If you update your profile, similar to each of our righe hand corners (of each post) folks would have a rough idea as to where you are.
There is also, an entire forum section for which to add your name to a given state list.
http://forum.carvewright.com/forumdisplay.php?68-A-Carver-Near-You
AskBud

chief2007
11-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Optimize your bit setting to Best on all the patterns, and then carve on best or optimal. You will increase the quality of your carve

cfox
11-18-2012, 03:08 PM
57089 57089

Here is how it actually turned out... As you can see the fillets are paper thin and really brittle. The Radius on the top has gouges from where the machine was carving it. Is the gouging normal on a radius like this?

cfox
11-18-2012, 03:10 PM
If you update your profile, similar to each of our righe hand corners (of each post) folks would have a rough idea as to where you are.
There is also, an entire forum section for which to add your name to a given state list.
http://forum.carvewright.com/forumdisplay.php?68-A-Carver-Near-You
AskBud

I'll do that. Its been a long time since i have bought this machine. It had been so long they lost my profile and had to start a new one from all the changes to carvewright's website.

cfox
11-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Optimize your bit setting to Best on all the patterns, and then carve on best or optimal. You will increase the quality of your carve

With this carve the bit optimization was set on best. I just posted pics of how it actually carved it....
Look at the fillets and top of the inside radius. The outside cut was fine but it gouged the inside radius.

AskBud
11-18-2012, 03:53 PM

Thanks
ChadI did lots of revisions!
Applied a small draft to the vines, text was floating at .125 9Changed the depth to .250 and lowered the height to 50, removed the line carve area and just replaced it with an arc carve area like the cut-out arc was done.
Loading the MPC to the memory card using Optimal will take 3:43 will take longer, however you should see a big difference!
AskBud

fwharris
11-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Looking at your MPC you did not have any bit optimization on your filigrees, vines or grapes. Also try putting "feather" on your radius carve region.

mtylerfl
11-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Hi cfox,

Like Bud, I did a lot of revisions and am including the file here (and a screenshot as you see below). I looked at Bud's revised version just a minute ago. It is certainly an improvement, but I actually think my version will carve better (nuttin' against Bud, of course...just two different approaches and preferences). You can always carve both and see which you like best.

Changes made were...

Bit Optimization : BEST on the patterns but NOT on the lettering
Numerous Depth/Height changes
Draft Settings applied where appropriate
Inside Feather applied to Carve Region to reduce/eliminate gouges from tapered carving bit on verticals
Removed the Dome shape from the Carve Region, as it added nothing to the design either in appearance or function for this layout
Increased Board size to allow for "safety" margin at the top and bottom of the board whilst carving

TIPS: On this version your board you put into the machine needs to be at least .75" x 9" x 21" (basically just a standard 1x10 board that is 21" long). This will assure a "perfect" result with no problems. When you upload this version to your memory card, IGNORE the Auto Jig warning pop-up (click IGNORE when you see it), and select either BEST or OPTIMAL for the carving quality setting. OPTIMAL will give you a really superb result, but it takes significantly longer to carve than the BEST setting.

At your machine, go through the setup, and along the way select Keep Original Size and Center for the job positioning when you see those prompts (you will also be asked whether to Stay Under Rollers...as long as you followed my instruction for the board size/length you can respond with either YES or NO, as in this case the choice makes no difference...NOTE: the board WILL stay under the rollers, regardless of the response for this layout. Again, this will assure a "perfect" result for this particular project.

I think that's it. Good luck and have fun this time!

DickB
11-18-2012, 05:06 PM
The only other thing I will offer is that you will get some "fuzzies" like you did when carving a soft wood like pine. Hard woods like ash, hickory, or hard maple will give different results. I do carve pine a lot and do spend time cleaning up the fuzzies after the machine is done.

I learned many of the things that Michael and the others offered - use of Bit Optimization on thin items like the grape vines, use of feather and draft, use of height - the hard way. I think you will find that your capability to produce quality work will quickly improve as you learn. I would strongly advise that you read and understand the various Tips articles. That can save a lot of scrap.

cfox
11-18-2012, 07:52 PM
I did lots of revisions!
Applied a small draft to the vines, text was floating at .125 9Changed the depth to .250 and lowered the height to 50, removed the line carve area and just replaced it with an arc carve area like the cut-out arc was done.
Loading the MPC to the memory card using Optimal will take 3:43 will take longer, however you should see a big difference!
AskBud

Now where in the program did you find the arch carve feature?

cfox
11-18-2012, 08:02 PM
The only other thing I will offer is that you will get some "fuzzies" like you did when carving a soft wood like pine. Hard woods like ash, hickory, or hard maple will give different results. I do carve pine a lot and do spend time cleaning up the fuzzies after the machine is done.

I learned many of the things that Michael and the others offered - use of Bit Optimization on thin items like the grape vines, use of feather and draft, use of height - the hard way. I think you will find that your capability to produce quality work will quickly improve as you learn. I would strongly advise that you read and understand the various Tips articles. That can save a lot of scrap.

I have watched a few and when i try to do something on my own with what i just learned it DOES not come out with the same results... Even using the same dimentions and cut depth's!! Ill Just keep hammering at it. Thanks for the help... This is a big difference for autocad and Viacad that i use for other projects...

mtylerfl
11-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Now where in the program did you find the arch carve feature?

Hi cfox,

We'll need to wait for an explanation from AskBud. I do not know what he is referring to either. :confused:

AskBud
11-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Now where in the program did you find the arch carve feature?I just copied the one you used for your cut-out, pasted it, and removed the cut-out on that one, reduced it for the inside area, then applied the carve area. No rocket science involved!
AskBud

cfox
11-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys.

I had to order some new bits and havent tried to recarve this yet.
I will have the bits by this weekend.

Now is there a way to edit patterns with the basic designer program? I have tried and all it will let me do is scale up or down. Am i just missing something or will it not allow me to do this unless i buy another program?

mtylerfl
11-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys.

Now is there a way to edit patterns with the basic designer program? I have tried and all it will let me do is scale up or down. Am i just missing something or will it not allow me to do this unless i buy another program?

Hi,

You cannot edit "already made" patterns in the basic Designer software. Also, you cannot edit any PTN's (CarveWright copy-protected patterns) unless you created them yourself on your own computer, regardless of any add-on software.

If you do want to start making your own PTN's and edit them at will, I suggest you start with adding the 2D and 3D software suites, and purchase the CW Scanning Probe (which includes the CW Pattern Editor). Also, when creating your own patterns, be sure to save them as MPW format in addition to the PTN format. The MPW format has NO copy-protection, so you will be able to edit your own patterns in the future if you change computers later on.

cfox
11-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Ok Thanks. Im still learning the program still.

One thig i noticed is on mtylerfi's revesion you have the graps and vines saved as a group. How did you create the group?

bjbethke
11-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys.

To make changes to a pattern that others make you need to ask them for the MPW file, most people will not let that out. you need to ask nice? I offer them on my DVD's send me a PM with your e-mail for details and a sample program - BJB