PDA

View Full Version : Chomping at the Bit. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW!!!

Wood Butcher
01-31-2007, 11:47 PM
If you can control feed and speed of the bit, and if you haven chosen the correct cutting profile for the material, you will get good results.
Big IF’s.
More flutes will not mean better results in all materials.
Just the math to calculate the cutting face speed from the tip to the perimeter of the tool is daunting.
Grabbing any old bit off the shelf won’t cut it and can eat up expensive material, put undue stress on the machine and subject you to flying shrapnel when the bit breaks.
Yea, you could get lucky and find a profile that works well in soft pine or fir and will have terrible results in oak or plastic.
Feed, Speed and Profile should be your mantra.
Use what’s recommended and don’t kill your warranty.
:cry:

Jeff_Birt
02-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Here, here!! :D I'm glad someone brought this up, I hope everyone pays heed. Good job Wood Butcher.

liquidguitars
02-01-2007, 11:43 AM
If you can control feed and speed of the bit, and if you haven chosen the correct cutting profile for the material, you will get good results.
Big IF’s.

Jeff "I was told feed and speed input is not a option on the Carvewright??

HighTechOkie
02-01-2007, 12:59 PM
That is his point. Since you can not control the speed or feed rate, you must use bits that are rated for the fixed speed and feed rates of this machine.

Rob

Wood Butcher
02-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Liquidguitars,

That is the problem, you can’t.
The feed and speed are constant. For better performance you need to look at the bit geometry. What you get with the machine is a general use profile. I wood guess that specialty bits are coming. Changes in fluting, and cutting profiles will provide optimum performance depending on the material. One for soft woods, one for hard woods one for plastics. I can see bits smaller than the existing .062 for delicate carving designed around the constant spindle speed.
Let them catch up with the demand for the machine and service issues. The goodies will follow.

Right you are Okie.