PDA

View Full Version : Hello From British Columbia

Carl H
11-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Hi My name is Carl I am from Chilliwack BC.
My CarveWright will be delivered to Sumas Washington early next week and by next weekend I will be busy churning out projects.... I hope.

I have been using the software for the past month, I think I have 3 days left before activation. I really enjoy the ease of use and look forward to sharing some projects once I prove them on the machine.
I have been working on designs for scrolling prior to me buying the CW and find importing through the pattern software pretty rewarding.

After importing some designs from old pictoral archives I am wondering if anyone has used CW to carve lino blocks for print making. I am sure I will find answers to many of my questions once I trudge through all the posts on the forum.

Looking forward to sharing some work with others. Thanks for reading and have a great day.

mtylerfl
11-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Hi Carl,

Welcome to the forum and the CW community. I did a search of the forum and found a link to a posting regarding block printing. I hope you find it useful:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?21246-Block-Printing-and-the-CW....-Interesting-Concept...&highlight=block+printing

b.sumner47
11-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Welcome Aboard, Carl. You are in for a good time with the "CarveWright", If for any reason you have a question just bring it up in the Forumn. You will fine a good bunch of fellow carvers willing to help or advice you in the right direction.
See you at the sawdust pile someday.

Capt Barry

Carl H
11-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Well I completed my first real carve tonight.
My first attempt was on Tuesday and I tried cutting a butterfly from a TTF with a v carve bit in pine, without setting the carve to optimum, HAHA, I think I could have used a shotgun and had the same results.
The next attempt was yesterday, I attempted a carve of a mini keg end. I used cherry this time, but the board did not meet the required measurements so the carve was reduced. I also didn't have a thorough understanding of the depth of cut around the letters. There was some blow out and chipping. but I was pleased with the quality of the carve.

Today I put a raster image and a centerline text and a vector based image from a TTF. I was surprised that the vector image took as long as it did, but I should have known, it was not a simple image.
The entire project took 1 hour 15 minutes. Once again I used scrap pine. I was pleased with the results.
I am looking forward to more projects.
One thing I would like to try is using pre stained wood and vector cutting a sign.
I also wondered is a veneer covered MDF would have a similar look.

Lots to learn!

fwharris
11-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Carl,

Doing well! Some of the best teaching tools is to make a design and carve it. I carved a lot of scrap doing so.

A tip for seeing how it will come out it to use the zoom and rotate tool to get a good a good look at your design. It will tell/show you a lot on how it will turn out.

Your thoughts on the pre stain and veneer mdf work well. Just make sure you clean your bits after..

Carl H
12-02-2012, 10:57 PM
New lessons learned this weekend. I ended up with a square around my raster image even though I dropped out the background with the import feature. I see after reading I should have saved the image as a png with transparency rather than importing from the clipboard.
I have also discovered that some line art will reproduce better when the bit optimization is set at high rather than best.
57377This carving was uploaded and run at best setting rather than optimum. It saved tons of time and for this style I really cant see much difference in the two.