PDA

View Full Version : Clock -- two sided carving

jerrbitt
11-15-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm making a multiple of clocks -- three on one board. I want to be able to make inserts for the clock mechanism on the reverse side of the board.
The designer appears to lend itself to designing the cutout on the rear of the board. But I want to make sure after the machine carves the top side, I propery orient the board to do the reverse side.

Having not ever done this, does the machine react knowing you are doing a two-sided carve? What should I be aware of. I did a search and looked at the software manual but haven't found any information on this.

eelamb
11-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Maybe this tip and tricks will get you started. http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Sept09.pdf
The CW will do what you want to do it is just a matter of layout for both sides, and alignment of the back cutout versus the center hole for each of the clocks. Read the tips in the link and I believe this will answer your questions.

Digitalwoodshop
11-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Easily Done.... The machine will always ask you "Back Side of Board" Yes/No when ever you have a project with 2 sides. The machine will always want to cut the backside first.

As a EASY way to line up the Square Carve Region is to design the front side first. Then setup up a Drill Hole for the 3/8 inch shaft. Flip the board over to the back and put your Square over the Drill Hole without using any of the forces centering tools... This can sometimes give you problems if the board is wider. Once you set the Carve Region over the Hole, your all set...

I design my clocks and projects with place on end or corner. That is why the 4 inch blank area on the left side of Designer... I select to NOT stay under rollers as I design in the 4 inches to stay under the roller and leave the board long and cut off the clock after carving. Saving 4 inches of wood on the back end of the project.

Good Luck,

AL

jerrbitt
11-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks much.

chief2007
11-16-2012, 11:30 AM
@ Jerrbitt - GO STEELERS!!

cestout
11-16-2012, 02:34 PM
I attach my 2 sided carves to the center. If you attach to an edge the 2 sides might not line up if the board width is not exact.
Clint