PDA

View Full Version : Cut Motor Error

Crewdawg707
01-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Just got the carvewright today, and unpacked it and checked everything that I have read in the forum's to check. Everything looked good, powered up with no problems, loaded a project, everything without a hitch. about 45 min into a 1 1/2 hr project, it stopped and had "Check Cut Motor" on the screen, hit enter to continue. Gave it a good once over, hit enter and same error. Double checked everything again, hit enter, and it started working........almost. The bit was moving like it should across the board, but the motor was not running spinning the bit. Not a good thing. Motor smells a little hot, but not anymore then I would expect. Does anyone have any ideas on this one?
Thanks
Mike :?:

pkunk
01-31-2007, 08:58 PM
I presume your's is a new Sears machine. I haven't seen on in person so I really don't know the differences. Is your flex shaft screwed to the cut head with 2 screws or does it pull out of the 'cap'? What you're describing is a separation of the flex shaft from the motor which was a problem I had after many hours on the old style flex shaft.

Crewdawg707
01-31-2007, 09:12 PM
No, I dont have the one with 2 screws, its the other type. I used the carvewright manual and did what the cut motor error said. I pulled the dust collector off and I can see the fan spin when I turn the flex shaft, so that is installed and working fine. The problem is, the motor does not start. It displays, starting motor, nothing happens, then the control head starts moving like the bit it running. I stop it before any contact with the wood so i dont tear anything else up. The cut motor itself does not spin up. Not only can you tell by watching, but its so quiet, you can hear a pin drop, so the motor is not running... :)

pkunk
01-31-2007, 09:24 PM
OK There's one thing you can check before trying to get ahold of Carvewright. Pull the cover off(2 screws on back & 2 in recesses on top)and check the connections of the power wires going into the motor. They are M/F plug connectors. Be carefull of the 3 black/1 white wire set that is for the lid switches that are plugged in on the LCD side. I usually unplug those from the board underneath.

Crewdawg707
01-31-2007, 10:01 PM
Ok, checked everything I could. No wires loose or disconnected. Powered it back up, went all the way through the setup, and guess what, you guessed it, check the cut motor. I am guessing the motor or circuit to it died. Make the calls tomorrow and see what they have to say on it. Thanks for the help. :( :( :(

Ron Baird
01-31-2007, 10:37 PM
It could be the motor switch in the lid. there are two switches one on the near side for lid open message and one on the far side shuts off the motor when you open the lid. If you listen closely when you close the lid you should hear each switch click when the lid is almost closed if they don't click they are either out of adjustment or defective. You will have to remove the head cover to adjust them.

Crewdawg707
01-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. The switch is the problem. Took a look and found the the motor switch is bad. It appears that they connector on one side was not connected correctly, so as it was work, it was shorting the switch and melted the connection. Did a little militay fixing, just to check to make sure that was the problem and guess what, the motor came on just like it should. But in the process, the wife noticed that the back feed roller had a tear on one side. So all is not well, but at least it's not terminal. Now I just need to get the switch and back feed roller and let the chips fly. I am more or less, one happy camper now.

moofrank
02-02-2007, 09:36 AM
How do you adjust the switches?

Ron Baird
02-02-2007, 06:05 PM
The switches are not really adjustable but if you think they are giving you a problem the thing to check is the screws in the plastic piece that holds the lid hinge in place. There have been some cases where these screws have loosened and allowed the switch to drop down enough to not work properly.

Skippy
02-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Just got the CHECK CUT MOTOR error 1" into my first project.

Motor varied in speed then quit. Power down a few times start project again, cut motor doesn't even try to start.

Took the machine apart with the help of the PDF's posted.

Went a little farther and removed the lid switch on the rear ("far" according to the manual) of the machine (Motor enable switch I think) insulation on the white wire connector is melted (not gone just ng).

Checked switch with multimeter and no close and no spring to return the switch to open position (FRYED). :(

Been in CNC diagnostics for years so went deeper than any posts that I have seen.

Can anyone help????

The Bard
02-07-2007, 08:43 PM
yes, call me tomorrow for the answer.