PDA

View Full Version : Potential Corian Source

cnsranch
11-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Don't know if I mentioned this before, but my son brought me out a piece of bone Corian a couple of months ago - it was a reclaimed countertop that he found at the Habitat for Humanity store. Measured 72" x 36", 1/2" thick. It had a bullnose around the edge that had to be cut off, and the sink had to come off (couldn't get it in the machine). The beauty of it? He paid $5 for it!

Keep those stores in mind - you never know what you're going to find.

fwharris
11-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Jerry,

There are at times some good deals to be had there.. Not every day so you have to check often. I usually try to stop by on Monday or Tuesday.

jmoriearty
02-12-2013, 07:19 AM
When you go in, from time to time, bring them a box of doughnuts so they remember who you are. Before you know it, they are calling you when they get stuff in that you are looking for.

dehrlich
02-12-2013, 01:01 PM
I found a good place to get plexiglass for those that use it. Our Ace store will cut it for you, so when I'm in there I go back and ask if they have any scrapes. The other day I got a piece of 1/4" plexiglass about 17x24 for $2! Never hurts to ask!

lynnfrwd
02-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Plexiglass is not recommended. Not heat resistant and will turn gummy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dehrlich
02-12-2013, 03:20 PM
I use it for picture framing and such, not carving.

jmoriearty
02-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Connie, what about dymond wood and other resin impregnated composites? I'm almost scared to try. I know that to turn one pen out of it I sometimes have to sharpen a HSS chisel 3 or 4 times.

lynnfrwd
02-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Don't know dymond wood. Other material may be like azek? Anyone else know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmoriearty
02-12-2013, 08:34 PM
It's not really like Azek. It's dyed and layered wood veneer impregnated with resin and heated under pressure. It's very hard, almost like working with an acrylic that has a grain. Here is a link to more information. I love working with the stuff, it comes out beautifully! You can even check out some google images for stuff people have made with it. Makes amazing gun stocks! I normally use it for pens and bottle stoppers, but have done a few other odds and ends with it.

http://www.rutply.com/products/dymondwood.html

The bottle stopper on the left is dymondwood that has just been polished and waxed after turning, no additional finish. The right is just normal zebrawood.

eelamb
02-12-2013, 08:43 PM
I have used dymond wood for pens too and like you, I do not think I would try carving it. For it is hard as a rock, and I bet it will dull the bit to the point that within the first 2 inches of carving the bit will break. But hey if someone want to try it let us know how it turns out for you.

jmoriearty
02-12-2013, 09:20 PM
I think I will experiment with a pneumatic carving tool a bit and see how well it will cut with a rotary bit. It should give me a better idea before I jeopardize a bit on the CW. I have some cut off scraps that I can't do anything with anyway. If it carves easily and for long enough, then maybe I will try a small sheet on the CW. I will let you know how much damage I do....lol.

jmoriearty
02-12-2013, 09:24 PM
I do think that Acriwood would carve pretty well though. It's not nearly as hard as dymondwood. In some applications, I actually like the look better than dymondwood.....especially in pens! Check out the northern lights blanks, they are stunning!

http://rrpwhite.com/acryliwood/

eelamb
02-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Do not do any carvings too deep, and it may work out OK.

chebytrk
02-12-2013, 11:35 PM
I recall there being a member here called autobodyman (I think) & some of the carvings he did with his pneumatic dremmel was "crazy awesome". The detail was unbelievable. Man is truly talented beyond ... Beyond.

I think I will experiment with a pneumatic carving tool a bit and see how well it will cut with a rotary bit. It should give me a better idea before I jeopardize a bit on the CW. I have some cut off scraps that I can't do anything with anyway. If it carves easily and for long enough, then maybe I will try a small sheet on the CW. I will let you know how much damage I do....lol.

jmoriearty
02-13-2013, 02:04 AM
I recall there being a member here called autobodyman (I think) & some of the carvings he did with his pneumatic dremmel was "crazy awesome". The detail was unbelievable. Man is truly talented beyond ... Beyond.

That is how I did this one out of walnut.

And this one.

jmoriearty
02-13-2013, 02:06 AM
The horses didn't look that square and blocky in person, you loose a lot of depth in the photo.