PDA

View Full Version : I guess summer is gone.

TerryT
11-12-2012, 10:58 AM
The view from my shop at 6:30a.m. this morning. The parking lot is looking more like a skating rink.

Also one of our koi ponds. This 50x12 by 6 foot deep pond usually has 17, 20 to 28 inch koi thrashing about the surface trying to be first to get fed. I guess it's too cold this morning.

Deolman
11-12-2012, 11:30 AM
I think you are correct - summer is gone. There is 8" of the white stuff outside to prove it. I am done carving until spring comes because I cannot afford to heat my shop.

TerryT
11-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I hope you made hay while the sun shined! LOL. Fall and Winter is my favorite time to be in my shop and also when I have the most time for it. During the holiday season we have people coming in to pick up orders or look at our stuff and place orders for Christmas, etc. We do craft shows for a few weeks to generate interest and folks start showing up about now.

Bigtyme
11-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Ahh...one of my favorite times of the year. I just checked with some folks back home and we have a dusting in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I am heading up there tomorrow to take part in our whitetail deer season which opens on the 15th. I am sure I will see plenty before the season is over.... My Dad always said "You can dress for cold, but you can't dress for hot."

badbert
11-12-2012, 11:42 AM
I think you are correct - summer is gone. There is 8" of the white stuff outside to prove it. I am done carving until spring comes because I cannot afford to heat my shop.

I can relate to the heat costs! I have a room under my porch It used to be the coal room. It is like a bomb shelter. 8' wide and 20' long. LOML just finished setting up my winter workshop in there. Bonus is, the "Bucky" can barely be heard in there!

pkunk
11-12-2012, 02:39 PM
It was -1° F here this AM and the shop was a balmy 45°. I decided not to fight it and came back to the house

TerryT
11-12-2012, 02:57 PM
It was -1° F here this AM and the shop was a balmy 45°. I decided not to fight it and came back to the house

Oh man, that is cold! I'm hoping to not see that kind of temp all winter.

pkunk
11-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Oh man, that is cold! I'm hoping to not see that kind of temp all winter.
I blame Al Gore for his global warming crap. :rolleyes:

cestout
11-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Well here in So Cal it has been getting down to the low 40s at night. I seldom gets below 50 in my shop. Finishing is my only real propblem - that and finding wood (Not as abundant or cheap as back east).
Clint

TerryT
11-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Ahh...one of my favorite times of the year. I just checked with some folks back home and we have a dusting in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I am heading up there tomorrow to take part in our whitetail deer season which opens on the 15th. I am sure I will see plenty before the season is over.... My Dad always said "You can dress for cold, but you can't dress for hot."

John,
Your dad was right! Oppressive heat is hard to deal with for me. I'll take cooler weather, Bailey's in my coffee and a warm fire.

TerryT
11-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Well here in So Cal it has been getting down to the low 40s at night. I seldom gets below 50 in my shop. Finishing is my only real propblem - that and finding wood (Not as abundant or cheap as back east).
Clint

I know what you mean Clint. I can't beleive the low prices some folks say they pay for wood. It is expensive as heck up here. $8 to $12 a BF for walnut. Cherry isn't much less. I do have an outlet where I can get black walnut and cherry shorts for $5 to $6 bucks but you have to do alot of glue ups, etc.

TerryT
11-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I blame Al Gore for his global warming crap. :rolleyes:

LOL, Paul. Me too!

ladjr
11-12-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm with Clint. The winter is when I can work because the summers are to hot. I'm in Nevada. However if Temps got down like Terry I would have to look at burn some wood for heat. In Flagstaff I had a Cast Iron Stove/Fireplace and it heated my hold shop.

Deolman
11-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Last night the low was 22º F with a high today of 39º F. Promises of 52º F are in the works for Friday. I really hate to see winter come - I am getting too old for this.

ladjr
11-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Last night the low was 22º F with a high today of 39º F. Promises of 52º F are in the works for Friday. I really hate to see winter come - I am getting too old for this.

My daughter went to school in Salt Lake city, it gets cold there.

earlyrider
11-13-2012, 12:12 AM
As a geologist and paleontologist, I have observed that climate change is a continual and cyclic process; global warming generally follows a period of global cooling within an annual period. In my opinion, we should give thanks to God for global warming, as it would be difficult to garden beneath continental glaciers.

Its cold outside, but my machine is warm and operational in a spare bedroom.
Ron

cestout
11-13-2012, 06:07 PM
I don't go outside if I can help it in summer, but I have a swamp cooler in my shop and it seldom gets over 81. I do have to rub my tool tables down with steel wool and WD40 then coat with paste wax.
Clint