PDA

View Full Version : New unused manchine returned to Sears today.....

jeri4519
01-31-2007, 06:14 PM
After purchacing a machine from Sears 1-19, and reading as many of the posts here I could it became obvious that it was a mistake(for me anyway). I did not take the carver out of the box, only the instructions. What I intend to do with it is just not practicle enough to justify the expense and the potential problems. Like someone said, there are two kinds of tools, the correct one and one that will do the same thing. Not a quote - I can do what I want with different machines.

My point being, there is a new machine sitting in a small Sears store in Yucca Valley CA if someone wants one. It will be obvious when it is first started that it was not ever used, the manual was all that was taken out. did not even install the software because I wanted to leave open that option until i was sure I did not want the sample software still working...

I will keep an eye on this because I do like the idea and the design of the machine. When it does what I need i will be back...

bob

Semper Fi
02-02-2007, 06:15 AM
I'm sure it wasn't your machine, but I just picked up a machine at my local Sears store yesterday, that had been returned, for $1,200. They said it had only been used on one project and the customer couldn't figure it out. Bottom line, the machine comes with a new warranty and the right to return, if it is truly broken............... better than waiting for a shipment and the Tool Club price!

Ernie

BobHill
02-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Great price, Ernie.

Bob

menewfy
02-02-2007, 07:45 AM
that is what I was thinking maybe ehrn i go to be another I wil find out where people returned one LOL.

jeri4519
02-02-2007, 11:17 AM
I posted this just in case someone wanted to check it out. They might give a price cut - the carver was never taken out of the box, only the manual. All the wrapped parts were still wrapped as they came. They did not charge me the 15% restocking fee - that might affect how they sell it again, I don't know how they handle returned goods at the store level.

I stressed to them starting the carver will tell them that it had not been started before, not used. I knew they were not going to do that, this was purchased in a very small store that is about 25 miles from Palm Springs, CA.

Semper Fi
02-04-2007, 11:28 AM
I finally finished up the projects I was working on and was able to turn my attention to the Compucarve. I tested it with the built in functions and everything seems to work great. Next comes the software and there in lays the problem. Seems the other guy had installed the software on his machine and now I can't get it turned on because it already had been activated to my serial number............... bummer! I will call Carvewright tomorrow and see if this can be resolved. What would happen if I crashed my hard drive and needed to reinstall the software? Stay tuned for the answers.

Ernie

Semper Fi
02-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Ok, that was pretty simple................. Thanks, Liz!!! I called the folks and they couldn't have been nicer. They modified my machines owner information, gave me my registration code, and now my software is happy with me. Plus I saved $700 off of list price................ life is good! :D

Now all I've got to do is learn the ins and outs of the software. I've already designed a sign for my new neighbors and it is cutting away at it right now.

Ernie

HandTurnedMaple
02-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Ya, those people on the other end of the phone are pretty good. As long as you don't have to call machine tech support. That Chris guy is kinda slow and I don't think he really understands how the machine works. :P

cycollins
02-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Just for kicks, I called Yucca Valley Sears, found the unit you returned, and had them hold it for me. He said someone from Palm Springs already had called about it, but that's all. See, there's a peculiar coincidence that makes this an interesting proposition for me, even though I live in Palo Alto (a little under 500 miles northwest of Yucca Valley). My sister and niece (her daughter) are travelling from Texas to LA right now. They're on HWY 10, and will be passing Palm Springs tomorrow evening (hopefully before closing time at Yucca Valley). 20 minutes North on HWY 62, pick up the machine, and 20 minutes back to HWY 10 and the deal is done. It's like fate has this unit on a collision course with my life.

Now the only question is (and I have about 24 hours to think it over), do I really want to take the plunge. The guy at Sears knows the units are in high demand and he wasn't about to discount it, so its a flat 1899.00. In fact, because it's in California, I'll have to pay sales tax (8.25%), which might not be true if I snagged it on eBay. But no shipping either. And looking at all these postings, I'm not sure I'm as brave or handy as the successful users out there. Decisions, decisions... Anybody want to try to convince me one way the other?

The Bard
02-05-2007, 05:17 PM
just dont't trust that Chris guy.... :twisted:

HandTurnedMaple
02-05-2007, 05:25 PM
I will argue against ebay on this item. The machines are not 100% reliable and they have said no warranty transfers. Also, I just looked and the 1-day sale cheap machine on there has got to be fraudulant (and in violation of ebay rules, so I reported it too). The others have problems already.

So your choices are really 1) buy it and pay $150 in sales tax; 2) wait until sears.com/carve says they have one in stock and buy it locally (you have sears.com email you a notification, that's how I did it); 3) drive to Klamath Falls, OR or Reno, NV when they are available and order there to avoid sales tax, but have to make 2 round trips (1 to order, 1 to pick up); 4) Develop your computer/woodcraft skills and buy in a couple of months.

My ideas in order: 1 (if you are a patient person), 4, 2. 3 is just dumb :lol:

BobHill
02-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Which Chris guy, Bard? <g>

Bob

The Bard
02-05-2007, 06:22 PM
:roll:

*innocent look*

BobHill
02-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Innocent? Not likely ..... :twisted:

Bob

jeri4519
02-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Small detail.

The sales tax here in San Bernardino County is 7.75%

They did not charge me the 15% return charge because it was not taken out of the box, I think. I purchased it on sale.

The only part used was the manual and the one page quick start page.

bob

Digitalwoodshop
02-05-2007, 09:08 PM
On Sunday I started calling Sear Hardware Stores on the East coast, only found one store that had one, no returns or open boxes. But there is a 50% chance the person on the other end just does not have any idea what you are asking.... Would you like fries with that..... Sure....

AL

cycollins
02-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Turns out that my sister and niece won't be passing through Yucca Valley until 10:00-ish and the little Sears store closes at 6:00 PM. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can ship me the unit. Maybe I'll just wait until the next wave comes in with the rest of the world out there.

DCC

cycollins
02-07-2007, 05:16 PM
...but I thought I'd cap off the story of the Yucca Valley CarveWright unit. My travelling family members that were to be in the neighborhood of the orphaned machine passed through Palm Springs on HWY 10 long after closing time for the little Sears store. So, it was not fated that I should have this system without shipping hassles. But the story takes another twist. Becoming bored with holding on to this hot little item in the deserts of California, the small Sears store decided to "Clearance" the item. This means they lopped $300 off the price. So, I bought it over the phone. However, they can't ship it and I can't have family from L.A. pick it up (even though they will be heading this way in a few days), because Sears has a policy about relinquishing merchandise to people who don't have the actual card used to purchase the item in their hands. (I suppose I could mail the card to family in L.A., but things are wierd enough as they are.) On the other hand, with the $300 discount, I could fly to Palm Springs, pick up the goods, rent a car and drive back to Palo Alto, and still make out OK on the deal. (I don't think I want to check a delicate, 83-pound piece of equipment as luggage, even for a short flight.) So, I have officially joined the ranks of the CarveWrite machine owners...except for the little matter of 500 miles between me and my machine.

Still, it looks nice on the web...

DCC

pkunk
02-07-2007, 06:15 PM
I'd check again Cy. I picked up a dishwasher at a Sears store for a client last spring in a different state. They just had my name as the pickup/signee.

jeri4519
02-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Another note.

I see the distance problem and shipping it. Get the box sizes from someone on the forum to make sure you get a car that the box will fit thru the door or in the trunk. It is a pretty large box. You don't want to rent a compact for sure.

You will have to rent the car in Palm Springs because there is almost no transportation to Yucca Valley from Palm Springs. You don't want to have to remove the machine from the box and have to destroy the box. You might have to ship the machine in for repair someday. I guess you could always purchase another box closer to home. The one it comes in is perfect to ship it in.

If there is anything we can do from down here we will surely do what we can.

Bob

Digitalwoodshop
02-07-2007, 08:06 PM
My box is still in the shop.

Left to right 28 1/2 inches

Front to back 20 1/4 inch

Top to bottom 19 inches

Good Luck

AL

Darn, 101 posts.... Saying a whole lot of nothing.....

cycollins
02-08-2007, 02:40 PM
I will bother them a bit more about the identification issue, pkunk. They can always call me on the phone if my niece appears to pick it up. However, I have asked them a number of times already and they (the staff at the mini-sears) seem insistent on erring on the side of caution. It's their call and their jobs and reputation if they trust the wrong person, so I'm inclined to cut them some slack and make this my problem. Thanks especially to jeri4519 (are there really 4518 other jeri's out there?). First for the information and second for the details and the box size. I won't underestimate the size of the box or the car to carry it in and I wouldn't remove it from the box on site. I plan to unbox and prepare this baby very carefully (re-lube the flex-shaft, etc.). With all the cautionary tales out there on the forum, I'm more than a little edgy about the first time I throw the power-on switch. Thanks again to all, and I'll let everyone know how the launch goes.

cycollins
02-08-2007, 02:42 PM
That's thanks to Al for the box size.

revved_up
02-08-2007, 04:52 PM
yeah its a pretty good size box, I put it in the back seat of a full size extended cab ram and because you cant slide the center portion of the seat forward I had to fold that part down and it just squeeked in. I didnt want to even consider throwing it in the bed of the truck with all the snow and road salt.