PDA

View Full Version : Microcarve

ladjr
11-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Has anyone used this software. I wondered because it seems to be good to make STL files from pictures.

http://microcarve.microcarve.biz/gallery.html

That is the web site. There is a free demo version.

CNC Carver
11-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Looks like it might work ok. Wish I had STL importer to test it.

badbert
11-08-2012, 10:48 PM
I think I am gonna play with this too. Just to get the visual to see if I can recreate the effect in photoshop.

ladjr
11-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Please let me know your opinion of the software

Leo
Life is to short carve something today

Alan Malmstrom
11-09-2012, 08:11 AM
It doesn't seem to offer any drawing capabilities. Looks like it does the same thing as Carvewright import image. But it gives you the ability to save as stl.

I have the stl importer and pattern editor. When you use both together it gives the ability to export an image as an stl.

While you can create an stl in blender, it is hard to do. Most people who need to have an stl to create a tool path for thier cnc machine might be able to use the program but if you have the Carvewright you can just import as an image.

I don't think their is any magic behind this program. Having software know where to puff things up in just the right way to make a 3D image is something that would be imposible or if it was it would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and a supercomputer to run it.

bjbethke
11-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Has anyone used this software. I wondered because it seems to be good to make STL files from pictures.

http://microcarve.microcarve.biz/gallery.html

That is the web site. There is a free demo version.

It may be usefull, I like the STL stuff. I don't have the CW programs to do that. I use MeshLab to work with STL's

The line across the image is the water mark from the program.

ladjr
11-09-2012, 12:29 PM
It may be usefull, I like the STL stuff. I don't have the CW programs to do that. I use MeshLab to work with STL's

The line across the image is the water mark from the program.

I did a search on MeshLab but didn't find it. Do you have a web page

bergerud
11-09-2012, 12:35 PM
http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

eelamb
11-09-2012, 02:19 PM
I liked the blue bird JBJ showed, so I took the image, gray scaled it, negative, cleaned up the noise, and saved it as a PNG (image below). Then imported it into designer, removed the background, and using PE saved it as STL. Now with meshlab I converted it to an OBJ. Imported that into ZBrush and this is what I have so far. Sure it has about 20 minutes in the editor, and about 1.5 hours in ZB.

As for the microcarve, The image must be edited, changing the darks and light areas before using the program to make an stl pattern. Since you have to edit the image anyhow, shadermap pro will make a great Gaussian blur image (called displacement) for import into designer, and give you the same effects. How I see it designer image import will do about as good a job.

bjbethke
11-09-2012, 03:58 PM
I did a search on MeshLab but didn't find it. Do you have a web page

The address bergerud sent is the one I use, mine was V131, and the new one is now V132. I only use six to seven steps to make the Grayscale image for the Pattern Editor.

If you need help send me a PM with your e-mail, I can make a PDF to show how I do that.

cestout
11-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Now that's more like it, eddie!
Clint

eelamb
11-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks Clink.
What I am trying to tell everyone, is the best method of producing height maps is to use Alan's method, see tutorial here http://www.cncmodelclub.com/free-cnc-pattern-tutorials-resources/heightmap-in-gimp-2-8/ .
Yes the other are quick, no learning, no artistic ability necessary, but the out come is pour quality. Learn Gimp, use Alan's method, or for that matter any method that produce correct gray scale for importing into designer. Designer has a great feature for importing images, it is up to you the user to learn how to make gray scale images for importing.

Some images render them self perfectly for shadermap pro and microcarve. Other images not so much. With a little effort on your part to learn gray scale you will be making fantastic patterns. It is not as hard as learning ZBrush, aspire, Moi3d, or any of the other 3rd party software. The 3dsuite is also a great starting point. I hope it will progress into a better software add on. Time will tell.

eelamb
11-09-2012, 07:42 PM
The blue bird pattern is available on http://www.cncmodelclub.com in STL, PTN, and gray scale.

easybuilt
11-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Nice job Eddie!
Here is the French Bull Dog ptn Eddie made for me last week.

eelamb
11-10-2012, 06:12 AM
Tom nice sign, thanks for showing your work.

b.sumner47
11-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Tom and Eddie, How can we be sure that " Frenchie " is really french, you wouldn't be trying to pull a smoothie over on us ? Are you?
Great job ! Tom.

Capt Barry

eelamb
11-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Barry their bark has a foreign accent

easybuilt
11-10-2012, 07:32 PM
LOL! Good one Eddie. Thanks Capt. Barry.

ladjr
11-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Eddie do German Sheppards understand the french dog