PDA

View Full Version : GOT BIT'S ??? "YES" But will they WORK ???

Digitalwoodshop
01-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Got Bit's ? But will they work ???

Well Ladies and Gentleman I was going to keep this venture under wraps until I had better information but I think I may be on to something that could benefit everyone interested in pushing the envelope of using the Carve Machine.

As you may have seen I am operating on three fronts, Laser, Carve, and Sublimation. Knowing this is primarily a Carve Forum you have accepted me into your community with my interesting posts and sometimes off topic replies from time to time.

Yesterday I ordered some bits for my Carve Machine that I think will work but rather well. Rather than keeping quiet with my find until I test the theory, I believe sharing this at this time is warranted.

I ordered the bits from Johnson Plastics my Sublimation and Plastic Equipment supplier. My Contact Don Shaw tells me he would welcome orders from Carve Customers.

Don Shaw
Johnson Plastics
1-800-334-0427
dons@johnsonplastics.com

I have a PA Tax ID for the business but I asked him if anyone could order without a business and he said Yes. With my JDS Industries Plastic Supplier the first question they ask for is for your Tax ID number.

The bits do have a problem being too long but I was thinking of using my Chop Saw looking Chain Saw Chain sharper with the thin blade grinder to slowly chop the bit to length. Using safety glasses and water cooling as they are solid carbide. Any recommendations on cutting them is requested, I am charting new territory for my shop here.

FEED RATE could be a problem here with the bits, a program upgrade to have the ability to adjust the feed rate down to prevent broken bits and machine damage is going to be a necessary evil that has the potential to increasing the customer base of this product.

I think you are restricted to 3 pictures per post so here goes a few posts to aid you in your evaluation of this product. Saw one bit that could be used to cut balsa patterns. The 1 and 2 fluted router mills really got my attention.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
01-31-2007, 03:03 PM
More Cutters With 1/4 inch solid shafts that could be cut to length this might work.....

AL

Digitalwoodshop
01-31-2007, 03:06 PM
More Cutters

AL

Digitalwoodshop
01-31-2007, 03:09 PM
More Cutters

AL

Digitalwoodshop
01-31-2007, 03:10 PM
More Cutters

AL

Dan-Woodman
01-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Woodline and MLCS both have tons of router bits that you wouldn't have to cut off. They have 1/4" spiral endmills for $14.00, signmaking sets, carving bits , etc.
www.woodline.com
www.mlcswoodworking.com

Digitalwoodshop
01-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Dan,

Your right !!! The thing that really got my attention was the tip size not available as a wood workers bit. The 2 fluted router mill bits with a 1/4 inch shaft but a .060, .090, .125 tip could be handy with the proper feed rate. That's why I included the tip size chart for reference.

AL

Dan-Woodman
01-31-2007, 05:31 PM
I agree, maybe that will be an option one day.

flyboy
02-06-2007, 07:31 PM
You will need a diamond saw to cut carbide. Your wasting your time with conventional abrasives. :roll:

Digitalwoodshop
02-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Note to self..... Look for a diamond saw on eBay....

Thanks,

AL

Semper Fi
02-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Would the shaft really need to be cut? The machine calculates the distance to the wood before starting the cut. It should only think the wood was thicker than it really was. As long as it wouldn't exceed the 5" thickness requirement, it should be happy. No?????

Ernie

Digitalwoodshop
02-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I thought of that..... My thinking was lever arm distance, the longer the tip is from the spindle bearings the more side to side leverage and more bearing wear.

Just looked at it and the tip is an extra 4 inches longer. That is a lot of side pressure. Here is a picture.

AL

MikeW
02-08-2007, 05:53 AM
Make sure to wear a mask when cutting them (something about carbide, poisening, carcenigen?) I cant remember but I do. I use a dremel with the abrasive wheels to cut bits or taps onece in a while.

Charles M
02-08-2007, 07:33 AM
I thought of that..... My thinking was lever arm distance, the longer the tip is from the spindle bearings the more side to side leverage and more bearing wear.

Just looked at it and the tip is an extra 4 inches longer. That is a lot of side pressure. Here is a picture.

AL

The only thing the lever arm will affect is the life of the bit. IMO, a solid carbide mill like you pictured would break instantly in the CarveWright. And I don't recommend that you try cutting the shanks down either. Carbide is very susceptible to micro-fracturing from excessive heat and you would create a LOT of it. Probably best to stay with the LHR bits until suitable replacements come along.