PDA

View Full Version : The Old-Fashioned Cookie Box - Project of the Month NOVEMBER 2012

mtylerfl
11-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for NOVEMBER 2012)... The Old-Fashioned Cookie Box!
The Old-Fashioned Cookie Box will bring back a few childhood memories for some, and create brand new memories for the youngest members of the family!

Every household needs a place to ‘keep their cookies’...or granola bars, licorice whips, salt water taffy or other goodies! This project provides a useful and attractive storage container. Show off your CarveWright’s carving capabilities with the detailed relief designs on this fun and easy project! The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

The completed Cookie Box is about is about 5.75" x 6.25" x 11.25" tall.

Main Items you will need...

1) The Project Files (included):
• MAIN-Panel_w_LETTERING.mpc*
• SIDE_Panel.mpc
• LID_and_BASE.mpc

*or MAIN-Panel_PLAIN.mpc...this is an alternative to the pre-lettered version and can be customized with your own text, if you own the conform option for your Designer software

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Main Panel x TWO: 0.75" x 7.2" x 18.5"
Side Panel: 0.75" x 11" x 18.5"
Lid and Base: 0.75" x 7.2" x 25"

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.

3) Wooden knob, sandpaper, wood glue, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. The interior should have a Food Safe coating. The simplest is shellac. When dry, shellac is food safe. Here’s what I used on my Old-Fashioned Cookie Box made from Select Pine:

• One brush coat of thinned Bulls Eye Sealcoat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
• Sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
• Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain - Golden Mahogany
• Full-strength Bulls Eye Sealcoat on interior (Bullseye Sealcoat and clear Spray Shellac are both 100% de-waxed shellac products)
• Bulls Eye Spray Shellac as exterior clear top coat

jpaluck
11-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Very creative idea..very nice

Smoken D
11-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Great job Grandpa;-) Planning on spoiling that one already!

badbert
11-05-2012, 03:37 PM
That is very nicely done. Will a saltine box fit inside there?

mtylerfl
11-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

That is very nicely done. Will a saltine box fit inside there?

Never thought of that, but I just tried it. The saltine box is a bit too tall...sticks up above the interior by about 1/4" or so. However, if you extend the Cut Path (along the longest span) for both the Main panel and the side panels by about 3/4" each end, I think that would add enough height to accomodate the saltine box and the lid underside insert. Wait until you get the project though...take measurements off your saltine box as well as the clearance between the bottom of your kitchen cabinets and the countertop (if that's where you plan on stowing the box) to be sure any added height won't cause a problem.

Bigtyme
11-05-2012, 06:39 PM
It realy looks good, Michael. I can't wait to give it a go....

badbert
11-05-2012, 08:46 PM
It reminds me of an antique saltine tin. My Pops had one (mine now) in his collection.

rcdages
11-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Great looking POM.

chebytrk
11-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Anyone know if the POM has already been sent out?

lynnfrwd
11-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Just sent the POM out. Got my fingers and toes crossed!!!

chebytrk
11-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Hey Connie...

I just downloaded my POM (Cookie Box). Went to my SW to update licenses and nothing shows up to register the POM.... therefore, can't view my files I just downloaded. I wonder if anyone else is having this issue.
JerryB

Just sent the POM out. Got my fingers and toes crossed!!!

Smoken D
11-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Hey Connie...

I just downloaded my POM (Cookie Box). Went to my SW to update licenses and nothing shows up to register the POM.... therefore, can't view my files I just downloaded. I wonder if anyone else is having this issue.
JerryB

diddo, says I have to be licensed to view.

RMarkey
11-06-2012, 01:20 PM
nothing shows up to register the POM

Funny... your subscription expired, but it gave it to you on a previous subscription. I'm looking into it.

lynnfrwd
11-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Make sure you run UPDATE LICENSES in your Project Designer software. Go to HELP > MANAGE LICENSES > UPDATE LICENSES

chebytrk
11-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Yup... done that. Only thing that shows up is Patterns with a check box next to it. Usually this is where the POM shows up to register it.

Make sure you run UPDATE LICENSES in your Project Designer software. Go to HELP > MANAGE LICENSES > UPDATE LICENSES

lynnfrwd
11-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Jerry, your POM expired last month. You shouldn't have even gotten the email, so I'm not surprised it's not letting you register it. Just wondering why you got the email.

connie

chebytrk
11-06-2012, 01:51 PM
I called in a little while ago and was wondering about that. The person (Christopher I think) said I had 1 more left. While he was checking I received the email with the POM. I also believe I did have 1 more as I actually renewed my POM when I still had 1 or 2 left on my old subscription.

lynnfrwd
11-06-2012, 02:19 PM
I called in a little while ago and was wondering about that. The person (Christopher I think) said I had 1 more left. While he was checking I received the email with the POM. I also believe I did have 1 more as I actually renewed my POM when I still had 1 or 2 left on my old subscription.

Ok, yes, you should have gotten this months, which it is listed in your Subscriptions, but not your licenses. I may have a solution for you.

I'll try to call you.

ladjr
11-06-2012, 02:49 PM

I have the same problem as Jerry. Only Shows patterns with nothing to check.
Also do you know if the parts have been sent

RMarkey
11-06-2012, 03:02 PM
OK. It's fixed now.

lynnfrwd
11-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Metallus is awesome!!!!

Smoken D
11-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Works now for me!:D
Thanks Metallus!!!!!