PDA

View Full Version : Heart shaped bandsaw boxes

autobodyman
11-04-2012, 10:07 PM
My wife wound up in the hospital from August 28th threw the middle of October, had a quadruple heart bypass then wound up with ARDS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_respiratory_distress_syndrome) scary times to say the least (the surgeon said my wife had been having heart attacks for at least 3 years considering the large size and damage to her heart). Anyway I wanted to make something for the surgeon who did her operation and helped her and me threw all the complications. So I designed and made this bandsawn heartbox.
56819 56821 56822 56823
Made from Bubinga it's 10" tall, 9" wide and 9" deep (the base the box itself is 4½" deep) the drawers are lined with DonJer brown spray on felt. I had the plate made online (http://www.halexawards.com./brassplates_new.htm).

Of course whenever I make something I have to make one for the wife too (see attached). I always give her first choice and she chose the larger one, it's 12" tall, 10" wide and 9" deep. I also have yet to make about 50 smaller heart boxes (not bandsawn boxes) for the nurses and staff. I'm hoping to get those done before Christmas.

What do you think?

Thanks ~Mike

chief2007
11-04-2012, 10:10 PM
That's some pretty awesome work you done there. Thank you sharing it

SharonB
11-04-2012, 10:18 PM
With all that's been going on in your life I'm surprised that you had time to do any projects at all. But these two hearts are certainly winners. Hope your goal of 50 boxes before Christmas is reached.

Bigtyme
11-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Super job, Mike. The boxes look great. Thank you for sharing them and I hope you and your bride are able to have a wonderful Christmas together.... the boxes can wait....

lawrence
11-05-2012, 07:30 AM
I wish only the very best for you and your family- that bandsaw box looks wonderful (and like a lot of sanding).

Thank you for sharing pictures of it and your story with us

Lawrence

CNC Carver
11-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Wonderful work and very thoughtful. Hope your wife makes a great recovery.

CW-HAL9000
11-05-2012, 09:58 AM
The boxes are really nice did you have a template you work from ? I would like to try to make these. thanks.

autobodyman
11-05-2012, 11:09 AM
That's some pretty awesome work you done there. Thank you sharing it
Thanks chief.

With all that's been going on in your life I'm surprised that you had time to do any projects at all. But these two hearts are certainly winners. Hope your goal of 50 boxes before Christmas is reached.
Thanks Sharon. I know it sounds a bit sentimental but I keep thinking when I'm in the woodshop that since I've been given my wife back that I should be spending all my time with her instead of messing around in the woodshop or working for that matter, but I guess life has to go on. She's doing well and is back to work.

Super job, Mike. The boxes look great. Thank you for sharing them and I hope you and your bride are able to have a wonderful Christmas together.... the boxes can wait....
Thanks John. I was with the wife 12 hours a day when she was in the hospital (son did the other 12 hours at night) then I took a couple more weeks off work to take care of her "wounds" and cooked, cleaned, laundry etc... so I think she's actually kind of sick of me being around all the time (she says not, but she went back to work pretty quickly :lol: )

I wish only the very best for you and your family- that bandsaw box looks wonderful (and like a lot of sanding).

Thank you for sharing pictures of it and your story with us

Lawrence
Thanks Lawrence, I appreciate it.

Wonderful work and very thoughtful. Hope your wife makes a great recovery.
Thank you. She's really is doing very well.

The boxes are really nice did you have a template you work from ? I would like to try to make these. thanks.
Thank you. I just drew it out in Coreldraw, I've attached the capture of it.

Thanks ~Mike

Smoken D
11-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Fantastic Job Mike! Give your wife our best and tell her ta fight it, don't give up! Ten years ago yesterday had my heart attack, Tomorrow will be ten years ago five by-passes. Figured they didn't kill me on the table, rest up to me. I'll go down a fighten all the way.:lol: The doctor will love it!

Ike
11-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Wow Mike I am so glad your wife is okay and the boxes are great! Take care of your wife!

Ike

easybuilt
11-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Beautiful Boxes Mike and very creative!

rcdages
11-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Outstanding work on the heart box.

Pleased to hear your wife is doing well.

ladjr
11-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Mike

Those are exceptional. Great job. Best wishes for your wife.