PDA

View Full Version : Computer generated Celtic Knots Free

jpaluck
11-03-2012, 07:06 PM
I just found this cool program that creates Celtic Knots in 2D and 3D. It outputs in stl and dfx so if you have the stl importer or the dfx importer you can have some fun with this program. It also exports obj and the output is very clean quad geometry if you want to edit it further it makes it a snap.

http://www.stevenabbott.co.uk/Knots/knots.html

I also did a little write about it here http://www.cncmodelclub.com/celtic-knot-cnc-patterns/ with a couple of quick tests that can be downloaded.

easybuilt
11-03-2012, 07:23 PM
That is so cool John! I can't wait to try it. Thanks.

eelamb
11-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks John, just downloaded it. Will have to give it a try.

chief2007
11-03-2012, 08:58 PM
That is one I am one the way to download - thanks much

ladjr
11-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks, That is a cool program. Now I have to learn to use it

DickB
11-04-2012, 01:03 PM
It also can generate a height map so you don't need the importer software. I remove the white background with a magic wand tool of a paint program.

jpaluck
11-04-2012, 01:21 PM
This program is pretty neat. Dick, how did the heightmap work out? I saw the option but when I glanced at the output it didn't look too good so I didn't mess with it a lot. Also, the geometry output, from what I have is found is all low poly so it needs to subdivided to get a smooth look.

I sent the program author a thank-you note and he responded that he is helping another guy make an updated/new version of this program and from the pics of the other guys knots all I can say wow...lol and when will it be done?

DickB
11-04-2012, 01:27 PM
It works well. I also did a bit of editing in Pattern Editor. In the knot program itself set the number of sides and points as high as you can and it gives a pretty smooth result. Also change the background color to make it easier for the magic wand to remove it. I think I am going to make some coasters with this.

jpaluck
11-04-2012, 01:42 PM
That came pretty good

DickB
11-04-2012, 07:54 PM
I might try to carve this one:

I think it would look good placed on a made-up board like this:

b.sumner47
11-04-2012, 09:50 PM
I can't wait to see it done. It would be beautiful. One of a kind.

Capt Barry

dltccf
11-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Has anyone done any more work with this program? I am playing with it, but can't get the results as smooth as I would like. I also see that the author says he created the .xyz format for use with the carvewright. what does that relate to? I tried doing some STL imports but always got an corrupt file error when I do. Anyone else have sucess?

thanks,
dave

DickB
11-18-2014, 11:41 AM
I've done a fair bit with it. Post an example and explain more what you mean by "smooth". I did use Pattern Editor to clean up my results.

ktjwilliams
11-18-2014, 12:24 PM
This looks pretty cool ,,, but this kind-a software is what I'm NOT GOOD AT ... Ha ... But I'll give it a go ....

dltccf
11-18-2014, 12:52 PM
I've done a fair bit with it. Post an example and explain more what you mean by "smooth". I did use Pattern Editor to clean up my results.
I did a basic 10x3 knot and increased the sides points and smooth as high as it would let me. It looked good in the picture, but when imported not as much.

DickB
11-18-2014, 01:24 PM
One suggestion is to change the background color to say red. Import the height map into a paint program or pattern editor, use the magic want to select it, then delete it. This will eliminate the "spikes" inside the knot. I did use the "smooth" and/or "blur" functions, along with "trim" and "round", of Pattern Editor to get the result that I wanted.

farmer
11-18-2014, 08:15 PM
I downloaded it an un zipped it but when I tried to run it, it said one of the file was not registered. In the read me text it said you need the VB6 stuff and if you don't have it to go to the website and download knots3dsetup.exe does anyone have a link to the website or have a copy of this file?

dltccf
11-19-2014, 07:00 AM
I downloaded it an un zipped it but when I tried to run it, it said one of the file was not registered. In the read me text it said you need the VB6 stuff and if you don't have it to go to the website and download knots3dsetup.exe does anyone have a link to the website or have a copy of this file?

just right click and say "run as administrator" and it should run fine.

dave

farmer
11-20-2014, 05:22 PM
I will try that! Thanks

jpaluck
11-22-2014, 06:51 PM
To get the best out of this program you will have understand very basic 3d modeling. The program outputs a very nice low poly mesh. All you have to do is add some very basic and simple edge loops in Blender to "tighten up" the model before you subdivide it to hold the shape. You can also add an edge loop down the center of the output and play with the scale tool in Blender wwith the edge selected to change the shape. Then just use Blender to render a heightmap and import to CW or export as an .stl if you have the .stl importer.

The heightmap in the program itself is not very good because the model is low poly and needs to be subdivided to make a good cnc carving pattern.

There is ton of info online for blender to learn to add edge loops and render a heightmap