PDA

View Full Version : Full Version Software

Chipper
01-31-2007, 12:16 PM
I must have missed something when I did the research before ordering my machine. When paying $1,900 for a machine one would expect to get the full version of the software needed to run the machine at full performance. From what I'm reading in the forum the software is another $500 bringing the cost of the machine up to $2,400. I didn't see anything in any advertisements saying the software that comes with the machine is a duplicate of the trial version and the full version would be $500 extra. As for the centerline font we now have to pay another $50 to get something that WAS and STILL IS advertised as an included function of the machine. I think CarveWright better do some serious re-thinking on the software issue and their advertising program. I don't know how the rest of the owners feel but I don't think it's right that we have to pay another $500 that we weren't told about to get the full version software and full performance of the machine.

Jeff_Birt
01-31-2007, 12:40 PM
This topic has really been beaten to death. The current version of software IS the full version. The original Beta testing group has some additoional functionality most of which is functions still under refinment (thus it is being beta tested by beta testers). There is an update to Designer rumered to be out soon which will be available to all. They are also (as I understand) working on a much more comprehensive 'Professional Version' software package, which might allow for importation of of 3d formats and such. I do agree that the centerline font thing could have been hadled much better.

BoardSilly
01-31-2007, 12:44 PM
I think there is some confusion here. The version of software that comes with the machine, and is downloadable as a trial to experiment with PRIOR to buying the machine ( as a courtesy ) is the "standard" full version for operating the machine. There is an "enhanced" or "Pro" version being developed that will add on additional capabilities or functions. The centerline text is no longer advertised as coming with the standard version of the software. It was only included in the Beta testers version that was released prior to the machine going into full production. This is no different then buying Windows XP Home version vs. Windows XP Professional version. If you don't want to buy the enhanced version to do more detailed or enhanced designs, you don't need to as the standard version will allow most home shop users to do what they want. Of course if you want to do more elaborate designs, and don't want to buy the Pro version of the Designer software, you can purchase one ,or more, of several other software packages that will allow you to do more with your designs. Several software packages that I use are: ArtCam Pro, Adobe PhotoShop, Adobe Illustrator, Rhino3D, Google Sketch Up Pro and Corel Draw. For ease of use and cost, I think the Designer Pro is probably a good buy. But thats just my opinion.

GIZMO1D1
01-31-2007, 08:01 PM
this is gettn to be alot o bull...

im gettn real close to taken mine back..real soon...

heck ive been sittn around after ive repaired my own machine now my software is crashing..

pkunk
01-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Giz, multiple posts and an attitude will not make it better. Check your computer. The software is OK.

GIZMO1D1
01-31-2007, 08:51 PM
gee had did i guess that was comming///seems we cant have an opinon..

sorry im not a beta tester and nothing was givn to me.. excuse me once more for being abit agravated and sharing my state of mind with many other people here that are also getting kinda agravated with this ..

why is it that anyone sharing there neg. opinons/bad experience are being chastize by you all the time..?

pkunk
01-31-2007, 09:03 PM
We/I aren't trying to be negative. :) We're just owners like you (all). It gets depressing when we try to help and all we hear is whineing. :roll: I've probably had more problems than any of you, and still have issues. I'm not giving up my CW for anything. :shock:

Sawbit
02-02-2007, 08:05 AM
Being a new the new guy around here I've been quiet for a while, but this software nonsense is getting a little thick.

The guys a CW have to make a buck.

Here's the problem as I see it.

1. The beta testers have functionality that the production users don't.

2. Every time someone says they may do a little production run of something somebody leaps in and tells them that using this machine that way will void the warranty. So why a "Pro" version of the software as this machine is for the home market.

3. With all due respect to the folks who were beta users. $1800.00 is a lot of money for a "weekend warrior" to pay for a machine for the shop. I bought this machine because it was advertised to do specific tasks with the software provided. Most things it does, a few critical things (ie centerline) it doesn't.

4. CW was not ready for the onslaught they had when these machine arrived from the factory in China. This is one of the problems with importation. I've been lucky, and have experienced a couple of bonehead (mine, not CW) problems that have been quickly solved over the phone once I was able to reach tech support. A sometime daunting task.

5. I imagine the guys at CW are at the point in the curve where a lot of time and money are being spent. And at least twice a day the swamp rises a little higher than a fella raising gators would like.

6. I would like some comprehensive, all in one e-mail, date firm and price firm answers from CW about:

A. When will bits be available and why is there no online ordering system for these? This should have been job one before the machines hit the market.

B. According to the folks I know in the legal profession the options advertised before the January 27, 2007 change are owed to the folks who ordered machines by that date. That's what they thought they were getting. I'm thinking mostly about the centerline capability.

C. The new software needs to be described well and completely. $500 for software sounds like a lot of money to me. For this amount of money I would hope large libraries and great functionality are but a starting point. It needs a firm availibility date and price from CW. Not 15 beta testers and thirty guys who talked to them on the phone. Rumor ain't information folks, it's rumor. And quite frankly if your check isn't signed by CW it's rumor.

D. Perhaps service centers could be set up around the country. To decrease people's downtime. These things ain't rocket science guys. Built by rocket science guys but used by woodworkers. Woodworkers are the kings and queens of the work around. I learned to service digital building control systems in a week at Honeywell. I'm pretty sure there's folks here that would be willing to give this a try.

In 30 year of business I have learned one thing, unhappy customers are the best advertising for your competition. happy customers may not tell you , but unhappy customers tell everybody they meet. So c'mon CW let's fix a few machines and cough up a little software. That's a small price to pay for happy customers.

A lot of folks thinking about this machine are watching these forums. I've gotten inquiries from a half dozen of members of the guild here. They want to know about this machine and what it can do. I can only tell them the truth.

In closing, if you've managed to make it this far, I would say on balance that my experience with CW has been a positive one. They have built a remarkable machine for the price. THe decision to market it through Sears is brave in the woodworking market. But they still sell one heck of a lot of tools. CW needs to step up to the plate and officially state the company's intentions instead of allowing a lot speculation to be substituted for information.

menewfy
02-02-2007, 08:38 AM
well put!

Autodoc
02-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Now we just wait for CW to make a decison -- I have been watching this board for 3 months - I am one of those on the fence waiting for "offical" information before I put down the money.

Untill then the money sits in the bank waiting.

BobHill
02-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Not to add to the controversy on those that have Center Line cut and those who don't, I have no dog in that match, but if you really need to do a center line cut, have you considered writing the text in a raster (or vector) program, make a PTN out of it, then when you Import that into designer, use the vector tools to make your own line. Then use the V bit of your choice, if you have one, set the depth to what you need (1/8 - 1/4") and use your vector tools in Designer to create your own center line paths. Delete the raster and set it to carve, (separate file) using a V bit instead of a cutting bit. That will work.

Bob

Autodoc
02-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Not to add to the controversy on those that have Center Line cut and those who don't, I have no dog in that match, but if you really need to do a center line cut, have you considered writing the text in a raster (or vector) program, make a PTN out of it, then when you Import that into designer, use the vector tools to make your own line. Then use the V bit of your choice, if you have one, set the depth to what you need (1/8 - 1/4") and use your vector tools in Designer to create your own center line paths. Delete the raster and set it to carve, (separate file) using a V bit instead of a cutting bit. That will work.

Bob

say what????

dcozort
02-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Bob I think your missing the point... If the machine was advertise to do centerline and then sold...... It should be able to do it..... In other words if centerline was advertise as a function but was later found to need work than it should be given to those it was advertise to for free...... That is the only fair thing to do..... If advertisement quit after a certain date then anyone that wants it after that date should pay for it........ Does that sound reasonable to you.... Does to me....... Just my 2 cents.......Dennis

liquidguitars
02-02-2007, 09:14 PM
upgrades to the standerd software that comes with the Carvewright is for 4 or so years, thats a long time in 3D cad. Desinger is a wonderment to me, give them some time...

I have a feeling the centerline will show up soon and included in the free upgrades... :roll:

CarveWight programers- You guys keep on trucking!

BobHill
02-03-2007, 08:56 AM
I'm not interested in the "who did what in the cow shed" Dennis. I'm just interested in showing and learning how to do something, that's why I still have NO DOG IN YOUR FIGHT.

Bob

dcozort
02-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Bob you have my apology I had know ideal this was a fight.. Let alone my fight.. I have never fought with carvewright about anything and hope I never have to... I an greatful that you gave a work around for the centerline function... However it was a bit complicated for me,,, you are quite a bit more skilled with the software than I.... I did download the software manual and read what I thought it was capable of doing......Totally my mistake I did not realize this pdf was not correct which prompted me to make calls to carvewright an inquire why my software did'nt do what the manual stated.... This manual was obviously for beta testers not the rest of us.. One function I wanted which would really save a lot of time in designing for me was the copy offset.. Carvewright removed this function for all it was for beta testers to test.. The only problem was it still showed up in the software in customize toolbar section... I guess for some reason it was not removed completely.... I bought the machine thinking I had this function.. My fault for reading an incorrect pdf software manual... An attn: to all from carvewright or whoever posted this manual stating not all functions in this pdf work...........would be helpful and probably save a few calls to them.... I use the search files alot and type very specific items in it and get a lot of returns that make pinpointing difficult. So I tend to call carvewright to get it from the horses mouth if you know what I mean.... So I thank you again for the work around and hope you can find us one for the copy offset function.... I know a lot of this may seem like fighting to you because a lot of guy are posting negitive threads about there machines of which many beta guys have worked through but if you notice the negitive things turn positive pretty quick... 90% of us are still amazed by this machine.. As for me mine is currently down awaiting parts can't wait till they get here......As well as the router bits and premium software...... Dennis

BobHill
02-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Dennis,

If you don't have the COPY OFFSET option, then you still can select whatever you wish to copy and use the WINDOWS Control C to COPY and Control V to PASTE. The big differences between the two is Copy Offset allows you to establish the number of copies and their spacing, while manually, you have to place each one. However, the manual Copy/Paste allows you to edit any one of the individual Copies, while Copy Offset are actually clones, NOT just copies, thus can't be changed either without changing them all. And if you Delete the master (original) you delete them all. You can, however delete any of the clones individually, but you can't modify them or move them individually. If you use the manual Copy/Paste, it's best to also use the GRID option for placement, if spacing is important to you.

Do you need visuals for how to do the Centerline Cut to text? I'm not sure what vector tools might be missing (if any) with the Sears version of the software over the Beta version that I have, but if you use the vector path tools (Line Segment tool, Connected Line tool, Spline tool and their options, especially to Change Form tool. You can manually make the paths as indicated inside the rectangle border ones the Center Line Tool makes. check the carving and the Center Line tool paths of the attached image.

Bob

liquidguitars
02-04-2007, 06:03 PM
I was laying out a guitar design yesterday and noticed that I did not have "COPY OFFSET option" anymore.
This is not very funny- regardles of simple tedious tricks as work around.

I feel COPY OFFSET option needs to be included as soon as can be.
:? we will need it. :o

dcozort
02-05-2007, 06:54 AM
Thanks Bob :) :) I think I have been doing the second way you stated.. I would make a copy,,,, I would then go to clip board then click,, I would manually place it close to where I needed it ,, and then use the align bottoms to keep them stright.. this works well it just takes a lot of time.. I am making a counter top trim pieces that is about 66" long and my designs are about 1 1/2" long... That is a lot of copy and pasteing.... I tried to lessen the task by using the mirror function to cut the work in half.... when my pattern reached the center it would overlap which looked pretty cool so i left it.... This gave me a center for centering the trim on each cabinet piece.... yes liguidguitar this is a little tedious but it works... So until the premium software arrivies thats how it is.. Trust me I didn't find it very funny either,,, In fact my exact words were Damm :!: :!: But on a positive note it did put my mind in the O.K. how else can this be done mode... which is were it needs to be in order to become proficient with the tricks of the software...[/b]... Hey Bob Thanks again and yes a visual would be nice for the centerline function... If I am following you I could Make,,,, lets say a rectangle with the tool and then place my fonts in it and center or align in order to accomplish placement then I could move the entire rectangle on the piece to any location is this possiable??? Thanks again Bob....... Dennis

Gman_Ind
03-30-2007, 09:40 AM
I know this has been discussed previously but I was asked a question by the Mrs. and still can't search out the answer.
I have uploaded the latest software version of CW. the Sears add states the machine comes with a "basic version" My wife knows full well the basic anything just doesn't cut it in my shop. Other (serious) owners of this machine are probably of similar mindset as this is not a cheap impulse purchase.
So is there a 'full version" available anytime soon?
What will it add?
how much $$.
I will be calling CW about my MIA probe so I will try to get an answer from the source and post it here.
I just got off the phone with CW, no word on probes, still back ordered and waiting for them from China and the 'full version' of software is planned but not available yet and no time frame was available for the release date. If someone knows an inside source for this info please share. Also the full set of bits are on back order as well.

rjp736
03-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Look at the post "Full Version" looks like someone got the answer. Tried to paste that topic here but couldn't figure out how to do it.

rjp736
03-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Sorry, it's under "New Software?"

Gman_Ind
03-30-2007, 11:20 AM
I called today it is still being developed and they CW has not set a release date yet. Stay tuned...

nodwell
03-30-2007, 11:30 AM
I could be wrong (won't be the first time) but I think the main difference in the basic version and the Beta version of the software is the centerline text option. I seem to remember that there are two software upgrades coming. One is the addition of centerline and the other is more involved with an extended library among other things. I talked to lady at CW mid Feb and was told the centerline release would be in about two months. She had no details on the other. Was told or read somwhere the centerline would be $50 while full upgrade would be around $495.

If anone has any later info please correct or update.

Don

Dirtydan
03-30-2007, 11:53 AM
I just talked to CW this week and was told the Centerline Text Option should be available by Mid April.. about two - three weeks... $50.00 is still the magic number.

I could be wrong (won't be the first time) but I think the main difference in the basic version and the Beta version of the software is the centerline text option. I seem to remember that there are two software upgrades coming. One is the addition of centerline and the other is more involved with an extended library among other things. I talked to lady at CW mid Feb and was told the centerline release would be in about two months. She had no details on the other. Was told or read somwhere the centerline would be $50 while full upgrade would be around $495.

If anone has any later info please correct or update.

Don

CallNeg151
03-30-2007, 11:54 AM
No release date yet being discussed for the "Professional" version of the software, but rumor has it that the professional version will bring in functions that are traditionally associated with CNC routing, such as the ability to import other formats, etc.

As to Centerline, it is believed that this will be a $50 update. I ordered my scanning probe earlier this week and asked the the very nice and helpful rep who took my order about when I could buy centerline. She said that centerline is expected to be released in a few weeks, and that we would be able to purchase it through the website (?!)

With the latest version of Designer, I noticed that they had an improved registration interface, so I'm wondering if future versions of the software will simply allow us to enter our order information and download and register options such as centerline or (eventually) the extended library online by clicking a link in Designer.

Mike
03-30-2007, 03:00 PM
copy offset will also be on the new version along with the expanded library.

rjp736
03-30-2007, 03:28 PM
What is the "copy offset" ?

Dan-Woodman
03-30-2007, 05:20 PM
copy offset is for duplicating a project several times on your board. You tell it how many you want to add ,horizontal or vertical and it duplicates your pattern.

JOHNB
03-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Copy Offset Sounds Very Good- But What Is The Big Thing With Centerline Text??

Dan-Woodman
03-30-2007, 09:21 PM
OOOHHHHH The centerline
that is amazing to watch . What it does ,even on fancy lettering like Roman, the bit comes to the corners and raises up into the corner to square them off . You can use the 60 deg. bit for small letters and the 90 deg. bit for larger ones. It follows the line of the letter , no matter what the letter looks like.

CallNeg151
03-30-2007, 11:39 PM
Copy Offset Sounds Very Good- But What Is The Big Thing With Centerline Text??

JohnB- If you want recessed text (as opposed to raised raster text), centerline produces a cleaner and more crisp-looking font than inverted raster by using the 90 or 60 degree V-bits.

Centerline uses vector cuts, removing more material per pass. As a result, it is faster than raster cutting text.

You can also cut smaller text using centerline, because the tip of the V-bit is smaller than the 1/16th inch carving bit.